Mazda Miata (MX-5) This compact RWD model, offered with many engines options for those are who want to cruise with the top down in a base model, or hit the track in one of the high performance models, has been a popular model since its introduction.

HELP...under dash repair

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 05:05 PM
Default HELP...under dash repair

Hi

I own a 1996 M Edition Miata. I recently needed to reset my alarm system to program new key fobs, obtained on the internet for $15.00, dealer wanted 280.00 for new alarm system! Although the reset and key fobs worked fine, I found that when I went to reinstall the metal cover below the steering wheel which I had removed for access to the alarm module, the plastic splash was damaged and the "female" wich accepted the screws was stripped and split. Went to Mazda to get a replacement plastic panel only to be informed that piece that accepts these screw is part of the dash!!!!
I am a fanatic about my Miata, however, replacing the dash is not an option I would consider for two reasons
1. Cost
2. My experience with Maza dealerships is less than pleasant and I can not imagine, even if the cost was not a consideration, that the replacement of the dash would not cause me problems for the rest of my life with the car!
I am hoping that someone has found a appropriate fix to this problem, as I can not imagine that in a cold weather climate, this has not been an issue with other owners, seeing as how the Metal piece is held in place by 4 screws to the Plastic dash.
PLEASE NOT THIS APPLIES TO FIRST GENERATION MIATA'S. AS IT IS MY UNDERSTANDING THAT THE LATESTGENERATION MIATA'S HAVE ADDRESSED THIS ISSUE BY MAKING THESE SIDE PANELS SEPARATE PIECES AND NOT PART OF THE DASH.

Old 01-18-2007, 11:06 PM
Default RE: HELP...under dash repair

new to site, but not to cars. try going to a hobbie store that deals with remote control airplanes (the gas engs use a plastic mount). they could recomend an epoxy that could fill the hole so that it would be one solid piece. yo would have to drill a new hole for the screw. good luck.

Old 01-19-2007, 01:06 PM
Default RE: HELP...under dash repair

Thanks for the reply...

Found a product on the internet from a company called plastex @ plastex.ca in Canada. There are US distributors but bought it here first and they are where the company is located. Looks like a great product, but don't they all on the internet...will post personal results when the product arrives.

There is also a fix on mazda.net that will be my second choice if this produc fails.

Thanks again....