Mazda Miata (MX-5) This compact RWD model, offered with many engines options for those are who want to cruise with the top down in a base model, or hit the track in one of the high performance models, has been a popular model since its introduction.

Airbag light

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 03:40 PM
Default Airbag light

I have a 1996 Miata with 28k miles. One day a few weeks back the airbag light came on. I took it to a dealer. They came back with this vague explanation that given the age of the car it was difficult to trace back or track down the electrical issues???? but they believed the airbag control modual?? needed to be replaced. The part costs in the $600 range, the dealer stated the part is "buried" in the dash and it would cost about $900 in labor to tear apart the dash to get to it. Something just doesn't seem right here. The dealer service dept was busy and I got the impression they just didn't want to deal with this. Can anyone offer any advice. Does the airbag sensor or modual just need to be reset?

Old 07-24-2006, 10:07 PM
Default RE: Airbag light

What does the airbag light do when you start the Miata? Should come on solid for 4-6 seconds and then go off. If a fault is detected it will either come back on solid or start flashing. If it starts flashing then count the number of times it flashes in a pattern. Will either be 3 times, 6 times, or 7 times. each of these flashes or staying on solid is a different fault area to be looked at when diagnosing.

Old 07-26-2006, 04:18 PM

The light comes on solid and stays solid although I did notice it blink once on a few occassions and then stay solid.

Old 08-22-2006, 07:55 PM

HI I have the same problem mine is a 92 5spd and the airbag light blinks 10 times goes off for 2 sec and 10 times again and so on ..any idea what the 10 blinks mean?? Thanks

Old 08-24-2006, 10:43 PM

Both flashing patterns are indicating probable faults in the air bag control module itself. Silverr's 92 has a fuse inside that when blows sets that code for system down fuse burned. New module not difficult to replace as it is just above drivers footwell. Want to double check resistance of D sensors to make sure one is not shorted and caused problem in the first place.
Woodlands 96 could be a loose control module connector or faulty module. Very, very difficult to get to that one. If you have passenger air bag then need to remove just to see the control module. Without passenger air bag you should still be able to barely see with the glove box removed. Location of control module for air bag system. Locate the center line of the dashboard from side to side. Now place your fist on this center line and slide forward untill your knuckles touch the windshield. Control module is about 3 inches straight down from your fist.

Old 08-25-2006, 11:23 AM

Thank you very much , I don't really care too much about air bags my self and sense the steering wheel is all crack up faded and peeling off I was just thinking about removing the stock steering wheel and place a D shape one that look much better , that will give it something to blink about ....Thanks again

Old 04-29-2007, 01:36 AM

Hi, I have a question about the airbag light. I have a 2000 Miata that has the airbag light flashing 4 slow flashes and then 9 fast flashes and then back to 4 again and then 9 again over and over, do you have any idea what this might mean?

Old 04-29-2007, 09:50 PM

Does your passenger air bag deactivation switch that requires the use of you key to turn off or on operate normally?

Flashcode 49 in indicating that this switch or circuit is faulty. Try turning the deactivation switch to "off" position and then make sure the "off" light illuminates and stays illuminated after starting the engine.

Old 05-02-2007, 10:40 PM

I used the key and turned the switch to off and on and nothing changed. The "off" light did not come on either. I don't think that light has ever been on. Any suggestions?

Old 05-03-2007, 05:13 AM

If turning the key switch to "off" postion and then removing the key and starting engine, "off light did not come on and stay lit" then would say you have a faulty switch to turn the deactivation off at fault. The "off" light will only come on if you turn key to that postion and then pull the key out. "off" should then be lit all of the time untill you use your key to turn it back "on".

Quick Reply: Airbag light