Mazda CX-9 This larger SUV adds a V6 option, as well as more cargo room, to the CX-7 option.

Towing 4000lb sailboat with CX9 - is it realistig and safe or is it hopeless?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 07:27 PM
Default Towing 4000lb sailboat with CX9 - is it realistig and safe or is it hopeless?

We are looking for a 7-seat crossover that has good handling and cargo room, decent fuel economy and doesn't cost too much. I checked out everything that is available here in Canada. I like Mazda CX9 the most by far than other alternatives. There is one problem though: I hope to by a trailerable sailboat within the next 2 years: Macgregor 26X weighs around 3700 lbs to 4000 lbs with trailer and all equipment. All canadian CX9s are AWD, have "towing prep" package and are rated to tow 3500 lbs, which seems not enough.

However I have found out a curious fact: australian CX9 which seems to be completely identical is rated to tow 2000 kg (around 4400 lbs). People say that towing ratings on some vehicles are often low in US due to litigious environment.

If you look at the rough weights math it seems logical: according to weights I found on the internet (so please correct me if it's not correct) iit looks lke 8560 (GCVWR) - 4540 (empty Mazda) = 4020 (for loaded trailer and anything/anyone in the Mazda) which is close tp australian rating. Plus many vehicles have different rating for boats because of theirsuperior aerodinamic qualities relative to carvans for example. I need it for trips of up to 6 hours, Ontario is pretty much flat and weight of my family won't exceed 350 lbs for the life of this car. Add about 150 lbs for light gear and food for 2-3 days and we get to 4200 to 4500 which seems doable considering australian rating.

Anyway, even AWD with aftermarket hitch (like Hidden Hitch rated for 4000 lbs) Towing 3700-4000lbs seems to be uncertain. So I'm looking for advice and experienced opinions:

Is it possible and safe to tow 3700-4000lbs boat with AWD CX9 with 4000lbs-rated class III hitch?
Have you towed something as heavy on highways and what was your experience?

Due to exorbitant insurance rates in Ontario getting a cheap old truck just for towing sailboat is not an option. It will have to be one 7-seater SUV that does it all, or I won't be able to afford the sailboat. I'd like that SUV to be CX9 if at all possible.

Has anyone towed comparable weights with CX-9? Is it safe?

I'd appreciate all advice. Thanks.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator

'Just my opinion, but if you are getting that close to the rated extreme, you might not be very happy with the outcome. Remember too that a sailboat, especially one of that size, is liable to offer a fair amount of wind resistance (drag) as well as what it weighs and pulls against the car.

I have a class II receiver hitch on my Mazda3, have only used it a couple of times towing less than the rated amount. It can get a little scary. Noises and bangs, brakes that are barely up to the task, funky and slow handling, etc.

I would say if you must have the Mazda then consider a lighter boat. Or if you must have the boat, consider a heavier tow vehicle.

'Just my .02.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:02 AM
Banned

Also, When towing you MUST have an external transmission cooler. I would look in to the towing package to see if this is the case, if not stay away. Ask about warranty implications with towing.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by UseYourNoggin
Also, When towing you MUST have an external transmission cooler. I would look in to the towing package to see if this is the case, if not stay away. Ask about warranty implications with towing.
Yes, towing prep package that is standard on all Canadian CX9 includes increased radiator, transmission cooler and reprogrammed transmission control.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by romandesign
There is one problem though: I hope to by a trailerable sailboat within the next 2 years: Macgregor 26X weighs around 3700 lbs to 4000 lbs with trailer and all equipment. All canadian CX9s are AWD, have "towing prep" package and are rated to tow 3500 lbs, which seems not enough.
Different countries have different thresholds for determining what load can be trailered, and at least here in the U.S., if you exceed the placarded weight and then have an accident, you can be held liable for some fairly significant damages due to unsafe operation.

I don't know how the laws are written in Canada, but before I purchased a vehicle with a lower towing limit than the item being towed, I'd have a good hard look at what your insurance will cover and how your local laws are written.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator

Good points, one and all.

Simply put, Roman, if you are not all that familiar with using a vehicle to tow with, please do your research before commiting to it. It will be safer for you, your passengers and the others on the road if you know exactly what you're doing before doing it.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:52 AM

That's why I'm asking people who are experienced
Regarding laws and insurance - I will definitely check it. I think insurance can't deny claim because of that, but liability is a valid point. However as those trips won't happen often, maybe it's not that important.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:05 PM
Default Towing

Thats waaaay too much boat for a CX 9. It's not only about how much a vehicle can tow but also about wheel base. Cars like the CX 9 have a shorter wheel base and therefore do not tow large heavy boats well. We just traded in our Ford explorer for a F150 for that exact reason- shorter wheel base made towing our 3200lb boat a nail biting experience and we are experienced at towing.

Also, remember, it's not only about towing but also about braking. Not having the right tow vehicle will make it feel like the boat is pushing the tow vehicle even with trailer brakes. Certainly a fun research project-hope this helps.

Old 07-14-2013, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by romandesign
Yes, towing prep package that is standard on all Canadian CX9 includes increased radiator, transmission cooler and reprogrammed transmission control.
USA CX-9 AWD ALSO has a 3500 rated towing package with an optional dealer installed receiver. My 2011 AWD did not come with a receiver but is rated for 3500 towing. Even the "new" 2013 CX-9s have it printed in their brochure for AWD towing rating of 3500 pounds.

Old 05-24-2021, 04:34 PM

For boat towing/ hauling i always use to say that you should go with Expert Boat hauler for large boat. I am saying it as An old "rule of thumb" to be safe is to not exceed 75% of the towing capacity of the vehicle.
If your trailer has brakes, attach the safety line to the tow vehicle. (This will engage the brakes if, for some reason, the trailer comes free from the vehicle).
If it help someone with similar query.

Quick Reply: Towing 4000lb sailboat with CX9 - is it realistig and safe or is it hopeless?