Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda CX-9 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-cx-9-50/)
-   -   Told my CX-9 needs a new engine block (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-cx-9-50/told-my-cx-9-needs-new-engine-block-44652/)

manuboisdu 06-09-2020 10:42 AM

Told my CX-9 needs a new engine block

Hello,
Brought my 2017 CX-9 Grand Touring in for routine maintenance today, and was told a leak was found at the engine block and the vehicle needed a new engine. I am curious to read how often this issue has been encountered by fellow forum members. I seems to me cast metal might be porous enough that this might happen here and there, but am I the "lucky" number out of thousands or is this a known issue with CX-9s or with Mazda?

Thank you!

grim_reaper 06-10-2020 08:52 AM

I believe there are known issues with a small batch of Current generation CX-9s having a coolant leak as you have described.

Was it look at by a Mazda dealership or a local garage/workshop? I assume you vehicle is outside the standard warranty? I would be contacting Mazda USA head office and request assistance for a known manufacturing fault.

manuboisdu 06-10-2020 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper (Post 184048)
I believe there are known issues with a small batch of Current generation CX-9s having a coolant leak as you have described.

Was it look at by a Mazda dealership or a local garage/workshop? I assume you vehicle is outside the standard warranty? I would be contacting Mazda USA head office and request assistance for a known manufacturing fault.

Thank you grim_reaper! It was looked out by the Mazda dealership and the issue is covered by an extended warranty. Pfew... I was fortunate to get a loaner (CX5) and while barebones, it is a nice gesture from the dealership to let me drive one of their rare loaners for approx. 1 month (2-3 weeks just to get the new engine block...).

Raoul Paquin 04-08-2021 01:52 PM

just had this happen on my 2017 signature

2 Attachment(s)
they put a brand new engine in...
Attachment 8172
Attachment 8173

parts list of what they replaced....under warranty

Kellyr4 06-23-2022 02:57 PM

Was the cost of the new engine covered?
Was just told that my 2018CX9 engine block cracked and that I need a new engine.
my factory warranty is over but I feel this should be covered as it seems like a manufacturer issue.

manuboisdu 06-23-2022 03:13 PM

Hello Kellyr4,
Unfortunately I do not know what the replacement was. This was all covered by the guarantee I had on the vehicle. If your warranty is expired, you might have to fight for Mazda to cover the replacement cost. This apparently seems like a known issue (many instances). Hopefully this would help your case.

PTguy 06-23-2022 04:52 PM

I believe someone on a forum said that the cylinder head isn't sufficiently strong to carry the weight of the turbocharger when the car hits big bumps in the road. That sounds plausible. The exhaust manifold is more of a 1" thick valve assembly letting small diameter ports bring exhaust to the turbo at low engine speed for increased exhaust gas velocity and larger ports at higher engine speed. This all bolts to the head, and the head doesn't seem to be up to the job. Clearly a design fault.

manuboisdu 06-23-2022 05:00 PM

PTGuy - this is very helpful - thank you! - I hope Kellyr4 can use this to make her case to Mazda and get a free block replacement.

otree 06-25-2022 08:23 PM

2017- Grand Touring

Just had the same happen this week. Oil pressure dropped and some engine noise. dealership saying I need new engine now. It’s quite low mileage in the 60’s and well kept. A real surprise and just out of power train warranty. Hoping they can help in some way.
does anyone have ball park on engine replacement if they don’t?

fool_me_twice 06-28-2022 02:20 PM

I've now had this same thing happen to me, not once, but TWICE! 2017 Signature. Bought it new and at 56K miles I blew a head gasket. New engine #1. Now last week at 106K miles (yes I drive a lot) I was losing coolant so I took it back in. I was just told there is a leak at the cylinder head and will need another new engine. Last time it was covered under warranty, this time it is not. The service manager is trying to get Mazda corporate to do a "good will" replacement for me. Has anyone else had any luck with the good will replacement? I was wondering if anyone else had been having this issue so I did some googling and here I am.