Mazda CX-9 This larger SUV adds a V6 option, as well as more cargo room, to the CX-7 option.

Tail Gate Adjustment 2023 CX-9

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2024, 09:05 AM
Default Tail Gate Adjustment 2023 CX-9

I have a 2023 CX-9 and love the car with one exception, the tail gate keeps opening too low.
I have set the tail gate by holding it max open and holding the button until I get 2 sets of 3 beeps. This is per Mazda dealer at my last oil change.
So I set it to the max height, a day or two later I end up banging my head on the tailgate. When I check I find it's dropped about 2-3 inches from the max height.
I set it again, using the Mazda procedure, a few days later it's again low. This has been done at least 10 times but the adjustment never seems to take.
Any advice would be appreciated, the vehicle is under the 3/36 warranty but the dealer is about 35 miles away.

Old 04-29-2024, 09:00 AM

Instead of setting the desired height, try to RESET the tailgate back to default and see if that makes a difference.

As per the manual:

To reset

1. Open the liftgate.

2. Press the power liftgate close switch for about seven seconds.

A beep sound is activated three times to indicated that the reset has been completed.

NOTE

After about 3 seconds have elapsed since the switch was pressed, a beep sound is activated 2 times to indicate that the liftgate fully-open position has changed. Continuously press the switch for about 7 seconds to complete the reset

Old 04-29-2024, 09:33 PM
Default Tailgate Adjustment 2023 CX-9

I don't quite understand your reply, it seems to describe exactly what I've been trying.
At first I followed the owners manual:
1. Open the tailgate
2. Manually move it to the desired height (wide open in my case).
3. Hold it in the position, then push and hold the close button until it beeps 3 times.
It would stay up but after 1 or 2 cycles it would drop down about 3 inches. I did this 10+ times, always the same result.
** At the dealer the service advisor walked with me to the car and demonstrated the 'correct way' to set the tailgate.
1. Open the tailgate
2. Manually move it to the desired height (wide open in my case).
3. Hold it in the position, then push and hold the close button until it beeps 3 times, then continue to hold until it beeps another 3 times.
Again it might work for 1 or 2 cycles but then drops down about 3 inches. I've done this 6-8 times, always with the same result.

If I'm doing something wrong please let me know.

Old 04-30-2024, 10:10 AM

Hud,

I may have misread your original post since there was no mention of a "reset" - I assumed that you or the dealer only repeatedly tried to program a desired height. But since you mentioned that you heard 3 beeps, that signifies that a reset has been done. The manual says 2 beeps = reposition and 3 beeps = reset. I wish there was a better insight I could offer but the manual is just about as far as my suggestions will go.

Since the problem is predictable and repeatable, maybe you can go back to the dealer and demonstrate the issue?

VA

Old 04-30-2024, 04:37 PM
Default Liftgate CS-9

If I push the 'liftgate' (Mazda mentions 'liftgate' 354 times in the owners manual) all the way up and hold it I can only get 3 quick beeps.
If I hold the liftgate down 1/4 of the way I get the 2 beeps and it sets it at that point, works as advertised.
If i push it all the way up it always does the 3 rapid beeps which I think means 'reset'.
I think you're right on how this thing is suppose to work, but I can't say the same for the local service advisor.
* So I'm 6'1", if I pick up a heavy bag of garden soil out of trunk and were to stand up I would hit my head every time.
Does anyone else think the liftgate on their CX-9 is too low?

Old 04-30-2024, 09:42 PM

The car is still under warranty. Go in for a warranty replacement of the liftgate struts.