Mazda CX-9 This larger SUV adds a V6 option, as well as more cargo room, to the CX-7 option.

Soccer Mom Car: '16 CX-9 or '16 Honda Pilot ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 11:46 AM
Default Soccer Mom Car: '16 CX-9 or '16 Honda Pilot ?

Hello Folks

Great forum here and lots of information. I am a current 2004 Pilot owner, and very happy with it, and plan to keep it (paid for many times over). I am however acquiring an additional SUV, and am down to the CX-9 and the new, redesigned, Pilot, which has won many "Best SUV" etc etc blah blah reviews on various websites and magazines.

One attractive part of the CX-9 is that it is (apparently) built entirely in Japan. Another is the "sports car like" handling, as reported by many. Also, I like the looks of the CX-9, it is very elegant and almost Infiniti-ish.

The mission profile is 80% of the time, local soccer-mom driving, pick kids up from soccer practice, take them to other activities, etc. 20% of the time will be freeway driving. We need a third row because our kids (aged 11 and 9) are starting to have their friends come along where ever we go. Slim, no zero, probability we will be putting full grown adults into the third row.

What do you guys think ?

Old 07-22-2016, 04:19 PM

I also compared the new Pilot with the new CX-9.

Though I slightly preferred the Pilot's second-row captain's chairs and a bit more cargo space, the CX-9's driving behavior won me over.

Additionally, led headlights (even on the cheapest version) and all of "safety nannies" are part of the Grand Touring trim with front-wheel drive.
In order to get "everything" in the Pilot, the Elite edition at FAR more money (though with all-wheel drive) would have been required.
If AWD is desired, the loaded CX-9 Signature Edition has essentially everything along with a more luxurious interior.

This should work well for hauling kids to events; but only you can decide if the slightly larger Pilot is worth it to you.

Keep in mind that even the cheapest CX-9 gets the superior led headlights; something that only the Elite Pilot (about 50k out the door) has.

My decision is obvious since I'm on this forum ... but different vehicles are available because folks have different needs and desires.

Drive them both, test-seat kiddos in all seats, try the different storage configurations; and then decide which works best for you.

Old 07-25-2016, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by bill76177
Hello Folks

Great forum here and lots of information. I am a current 2004 Pilot owner, and very happy with it, and plan to keep it (paid for many times over). I am however acquiring an additional SUV, and am down to the CX-9 and the new, redesigned, Pilot, which has won many "Best SUV" etc etc blah blah reviews on various websites and magazines.

One attractive part of the CX-9 is that it is (apparently) built entirely in Japan. Another is the "sports car like" handling, as reported by many. Also, I like the looks of the CX-9, it is very elegant and almost Infiniti-ish.

The mission profile is 80% of the time, local soccer-mom driving, pick kids up from soccer practice, take them to other activities, etc. 20% of the time will be freeway driving. We need a third row because our kids (aged 11 and 9) are starting to have their friends come along where ever we go. Slim, no zero, probability we will be putting full grown adults into the third row.

What do you guys think ?

I have the cx9 GT and I like it a lot. The exterior looks, the interior materials, the new engine, the MPG. The only cons for me is the space in 3rd row so check this as the only deal breaker for you.