Mazda CX-9 This larger SUV adds a V6 option, as well as more cargo room, to the CX-7 option.

Poor Navigation System

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 10:21 PM
Default Poor Navigation System

In March we purchasedthe 08 Touring with navi. We've taken several trips now where the navigation system has given me poor directions. I have a hand held Garmin Nuvi that I actually took with me on one trip. The trip should take @ three hours, both Mapquest and the Garmin confirmed the same route. The shortest of the navigation systems three choices was one hour and changeLONGER than what it should have been, the "alternate" route was over 5 hours. And none of the roads on the shorter, more direct route are "new". Which leads me to my other frustration, how outdated the software is. I live in a newer community (@ 5 years old) and the navigation system doesn't have most of our roads on it. I complained to the dealer and they basically shrugged their shoulders and told me that I'd have to wait for an update and that there wasn't one available yet. Just this past weekend we traveled from New York to Florida and the system actually had us go into downtown DC! We were ready to rip the darn thing out of the dash! Not to mention the countless times I've plugged in an address where I know I'm going and it takes me out of the way and costs me time and mileage.

When you pay this much money for a car andspend thousands of dollars on abuilt in navigation system,I expect way better than this. It's come to where I'm going to take my Nuvi with me from now on when I need directions. I shouldn't have to do that after spending thousands of dollars on what's turning out to be a useless option. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:46 PM
Default RE: Poor Navigation System

That's really unfortunate! As a tech, I've toyed with the navigation system in almost if not all the new models it can come in, but I've never actually had the opportunity to plan in any lengthy route and go really try it out. We haven't received any complaints such as yours (that I've heard about) at my dealership, but I hope for your sake that they come up with an update soon.

Other than lame directions, how do you like everything else about your CX-9? Did you get the blind-spot monitoring with it?

Old 08-17-2008, 01:12 AM
Default RE: Poor Navigation System

Bought a used (10,000 miles) 2008 CX 9 last weekend. Tried the Navi for the first time a few days ago for short trip in town. Had the same problem as Jennie. Thankfully, I knew where I was going. The Navi would have taken me miles out of my way and didn't even get close until I was within a couple of blocks of my destination. I like the car, but with these problems cropping up (Navi, aux audio, front end pulls, etc.) I'm hoping that I didn't make an expensive mistake.

Old 01-08-2014, 03:12 PM

The Navigation System and Voice Commands are a JOKE in the CX-9. A very expensive one. And people have been complaining for years, STILL NOT FIXED!