Mazda CX-9 This larger SUV adds a V6 option, as well as more cargo room, to the CX-7 option.

Keyless ignition malfunction warning light

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2020, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
Disconnect the battery. Leave it for a hour. Reconnect battery. Lock & unlock via remote, open car, start car & see what happens.
I have a 2018 CX-9. Lost a key and when the locksmith added a key the keyless malfunction popped up. The original and new key work fine.

I tried the above mentioned procedure (2+ hours disconnected) and it did not remove the warning. The new key was not purchased from a dealer but has the OEM Mitsubishi circuit board. I had the option of purchasing an aftermarket one with the correct chip on an aftermarket circuit board, but paid more for the Mitsubishi circuit board. The locksmith uses some equipment that covers a range of cars and seems to be of Chinese origin.

Any suggestions?

Old 11-19-2020, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by flrmazda
I have a 2018 CX-9. Lost a key and when the locksmith added a key the keyless malfunction popped up. The original and new key work fine.

I tried the above mentioned procedure (2+ hours disconnected) and it did not remove the warning. The new key was not purchased from a dealer but has the OEM Mitsubishi circuit board. I had the option of purchasing an aftermarket one with the correct chip on an aftermarket circuit board, but paid more for the Mitsubishi circuit board. The locksmith uses some equipment that covers a range of cars and seems to be of Chinese origin.

Any suggestions?

flrmazda did you fix your issue ? i have exact same problem today getting new key done

Old 11-22-2020, 04:07 PM

No, I did not resolve it. I found my original spare key so now have 3 working keys but get the annoying keyless fault message. The locksmith used Xtool XPad 100. I found something on the website Pinterest where someone describes using an XPad 100 on a 2016/7 CX-5 with the same issue. He solved it by removing all the keys and adding them back. This person seems to be in the UK and sells Xtool devices.
One detail that I remembered was that the locksmith said that the Xpad did not allow him to remove the missing key, so not sure if this is possible for him to do this with his Xpad. I fear that my locksmith does not have the latest or premium version of the Xpad software.

Old 06-23-2021, 02:31 PM

Disconnect the battery. Leave it for a hour. Reconnect battery. Lock & unlock via remote, open car, start car & see what happens.
i hope you can help me, i purchased this keyfob:

https://www.carandtruckremotes.com/2...fob-trunk.html

As you can see it says oem and i called and the customer service agent said it is. Anyways i have a mazda 3 i sport 2016, and my current key was a little beat up so i purchased that new one that is in that link. I took it to a locksmith and he programmed it and the key is working perfectly. My car is keyless and the car starts with no problem and the key can lock and unlock everything, open the trunk and even activate the horn to find you car in a parking lot thing. But after the locksmith programmed the new key, the mazda infotainment system has a key light on the dash and a message that reads "keyless entry system malfunction, have the vehicle checked by a dealer." I dont understand why is it doing this if the key is oem and its working perfectly. And i want to remove that error message with its corresponding picture is there a way i can do this without having to go to the dealer? I already asked the dealer and they said they would charge me 150. Would the solution of disconnecting the car battery work on my car as well? Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance for the reply.

Old 06-23-2021, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by flrmazda
No, I did not resolve it. I found my original spare key so now have 3 working keys but get the annoying keyless fault message. The locksmith used Xtool XPad 100. I found something on the website Pinterest where someone describes using an XPad 100 on a 2016/7 CX-5 with the same issue. He solved it by removing all the keys and adding them back. This person seems to be in the UK and sells Xtool devices. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/741334788653461756/ One detail that I remembered was that the locksmith said that the Xpad did not allow him to remove the missing key, so not sure if this is possible for him to do this with his Xpad. I fear that my locksmith does not have the latest or premium version of the Xpad software.

I think i have the same problem as you. I have a mazda 3 2016 car and my original key was a bit beat up so i bought a new one and its oem according to the website i bought it from. This is the link to the key i got https://www.carandtruckremotes.com/2...fob-trunk.html

when i recived it i took it to a locksmith and he programmed it, then it started showing a red key light with an exclamation mark and when i read the info it says "keyless entry system malfunction, have the vehicle checked by a dealer." Even though the new key is working perfectly. I can start the car by pushing the button while the key is inside the car, i can lock and unlock all doors, open the trunk, etc.

Old 08-23-2021, 08:47 AM

it worked. Thanks for the suggestion

Old 01-17-2022, 05:12 AM

Have you tried turning the car off, locking the doors, unlocking the doors and starting the engine?
thank you this worked for me as well, after having my car battery replaced.

Old 11-15-2022, 07:22 PM

Seen that this worked for a few people, hoping it'll work for me tomorrow! Flat battery and even after jumpstart, was getting a "keyless entry malfunction" error when I press the brake down and try to start the engine...
Question: does the positive terminal also need to be disconnected? I saw online that just disconnecting the negative terminal basically disconnects the battery from the car.

Old 06-12-2023, 09:30 AM

Many thanks grimreaper this worked for my 2018 cx5

Old 12-06-2023, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by RaffScallion
Seen that this worked for a few people, hoping it'll work for me tomorrow! Flat battery and even after jumpstart, was getting a "keyless entry malfunction" error when I press the brake down and try to start the engine...
Question: does the positive terminal also need to be disconnected? I saw online that just disconnecting the negative terminal basically disconnects
the battery from the car.
Same issue here.
Did you manage to resolve it? If so how?
Thanks