Mazda CX-9 This larger SUV adds a V6 option, as well as more cargo room, to the CX-7 option.

HID upgrade to standard projector lamps

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 06:49 AM
Default HID upgrade to standard projector lamps

Has anyone here done this to their CX-9? I already purchased a kit with ballasts in the 6000k color variety, but am holding out on the install until I read some other experiences from other owners.

I started to tinker around with the driver's side lamp but couldn't get the main harness detached without pulling the entire light out.

Old 07-14-2013, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by Peregrine
Has anyone here done this to their CX-9? I already purchased a kit with ballasts in the 6000k color variety, but am holding out on the install until I read some other experiences from other owners.

I started to tinker around with the driver's side lamp but couldn't get the main harness detached without pulling the entire light out.
did you get 35 watt HID? I own a 2010 Mazda3 AND 2011 CX-9 and both have HID lights from ddm tuning DDM Tuning 35W and 55W HID Kits and have no problems with them. The CX-9 has headlight housing covers that you have to rotate off (like the size of a pickle jar lid) in which you MUST drill a rather large hole to get the HID wiring to run through and out to the ballast. You COULD leave those lids off but you run the risk of dusting up the inside of your clear lens on the headlight housing.

Also, I used 3M double sided tape to mount the ballast on the inside of the subframe inside the engine bag. This way, they are out of sight and will also mask the slight audible noise you will hear when the HIDs are on (not audible inside the car).

Another also: Remove the radiator reservoir on the passenger side. This will help you reach your hands inside the headlamp assembly when you are trying to align everything up. Remove the three bolts, and just move the reservoir to on top of the engine cover.

Oh one last "also": I installed 55 watt HIDs in my Mazda3, been running them for a year and no headlamp meltdowns. I assume, but can't say for sure, that the projector assembly in the CX-9 is of the same quality. Just to play it safe, I stayed with the 35 watts for that car.
I'll post pictures of my work upon request!

Old 11-28-2013, 08:03 AM
Banned
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Sullavance
First you should know it to manage it in a better way.
This guy has the most useless responses.