Mazda CX-9 This larger SUV adds a V6 option, as well as more cargo room, to the CX-7 option.

Gas station handle/nozzle auto-shut off

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 01:55 PM
Default Gas station handle/nozzle auto-shut off

We recently purchased a 2011 CX-9 and this morning, for the 2nd time, when filling up the tank the gas nozzle has not automatically clicked off when the tank is full. The first time I was manually filling it so noticed right away when some gas came out of the tank, but this morning I had the handled latched and was washing the windows before I noticed gas streaming out of the tank. Both stations were Exxon stations. Has anyone heard of or had this problem before? I have never experienced this happening in any car. Is it a problem in the design of the tank?

Old 07-14-2013, 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by RIRob
We recently purchased a 2011 CX-9 and this morning, for the 2nd time, when filling up the tank the gas nozzle has not automatically clicked off when the tank is full. The first time I was manually filling it so noticed right away when some gas came out of the tank, but this morning I had the handled latched and was washing the windows before I noticed gas streaming out of the tank. Both stations were Exxon stations. Has anyone heard of or had this problem before? I have never experienced this happening in any car. Is it a problem in the design of the tank?
i had the opposite happen to me on same exact year model. The gas was coming out faster than the funnel could handle, triggering the gas nozzle to shut off. This only happened once. I took the car on a 4,400 cross country round trip and filled up many times. Never had any problems other than that one.