Mazda CX-9 This larger SUV adds a V6 option, as well as more cargo room, to the CX-7 option.

CX-9 Navigation System

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 02:12 PM
NGC
Default CX-9 Navigation System

I want a CX-9 but......
I have been reading reviews and comments on the Navigation System and everyone hates it.
There is no sense wasting money on a CX-9 with Nav and having to place a Garmin on the dash anyway.
Any comments from CX-9 owners would be greatly appreciated?

Old 05-11-2010, 04:12 PM
Smile New CX-9 owner

We bought our CX-9 a couple weeks ago. We started using the GPS system a couple days later and found it - not so easy to use. We got out the manual and tried to learn how best to use it - improved but still had problems/questions. My wife used it on a familiar route and got a lot of wrong guidance - which she didn't follow. I went online and found a forum http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f12ff14
and found that other people had problems - Mazda doesn't have a very good GPS system.
Some people offered tips:
* Pick the "quickest" routes
* Set the system to use "unnamed roads", "private roads", which is EVERYTHING.
Aside from the GPS system we are really happy with our choice. We still would have bought it, had we known about the poor GPS, but perhaps have hit the salesman up for enough money to buy a good Garmin.
We were looking for something that could seat 6-7 people and the CX-9 got great reviews from a number of professional reviewers. We agree. Buy it and enjoy the car.

Old 05-13-2010, 09:34 PM
NGC

Well if the dealer wants to (just about) throw in the Nav you can't resist. Hope I love the CX-9.

Old 05-31-2010, 03:16 AM

Well i can't say that cx-9 navigation is good, but is still loving it for the style !

Old 04-02-2011, 05:22 PM

The navigatin on our 2010 cx-9 is horrible. It is impossiple to tell which route to choose from until you've chosen one. Unlike the Garmin, the nav system doesn't list the route. Also you have to be in park to change anything, so if you choose the wrong route you can't change it easily. Then you have to go thru the whole destination entry system. When will they improve this terrible system?

Old 04-02-2011, 08:22 PM

This probably isn't much help, but I bought a 2007 CX-9 when they were first introduced. The GPS DVD was out-of-date from Day One, and I could never find a source for obtaining updated DVDs.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:15 AM
NGC
Default NAV System not that bad

Now that I have used my 2010 Navigation for a while I am getting used to it and even prefer it to the Magellan/Garmin. I am looking forward to the updated DVD that my dealer has promised.
Choosing which route is easy. The map uses three colors showing you in advance which route to choose.
I also like the feature that provides alternative route when their is a traffic problem.
I started this thread and am glad that the negative postings on the CX9 Navigation System were wrong.

Old 11-11-2011, 01:41 PM

Google Maps on iPhone blows away all vehicle-based nav systems. IMHO.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:05 AM

Hello everyone,
I have a friend who has a 2010 cx9 sport, and is purchasing a complete middle console with navgiation from a cx9 grand touring. Do you know if i need any special wiring or can i just plug it in. I noticed that the car already has the antenna.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:23 PM

We purchased our CX-9 and we love everything about it except infotainment system. The aux jack does not work unless you buy an adapter to make it work. Recently on a trip to Vegas from Colorado we could not input the destination from point A to B because the navigation only looks at groups of states at a time. Needless to say I just used my phone. I am planning on installing a Kennwood Nav system it uses the Garmin software and they have an adapter that will interface with Bose system so I will not need to cut any wire it will a plug and play. It will still allow the rear back up camera and rear dvd system to work and will also allow the aux jack to work in the center console. The aux audio and video input in the third row will work as well. As much as I like my CX-9 the Nav system is not up to par.

Quick Reply: CX-9 Navigation System