Mazda CX-9 This larger SUV adds a V6 option, as well as more cargo room, to the CX-7 option.

Aluminum Alloy Wheels Look Dirty

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 12:11 PM
Default Aluminum Alloy Wheels Look Dirty

After about a month of driving and several car washes I have noticed that the wheels look dirty. I tried cleaning them by hand with water and a towel and it appears that the "dirt" is beneath the protective finish. It looks like a mottled pattern of brake dust. I saw a post on another Mazda forum and was curious if anyone here has had the same problem.

Thank you,
Craig

Old 08-07-2007, 07:04 PM
Default RE: Aluminum Alloy Wheels Look Dirty

Craig
After owning for about 3 weeks and 5 washes, wheels still look good, but I will keep an eye on it

J.B

Old 08-08-2007, 11:24 AM

Mine still look decent and I handwash my vehicle so would notice if anything wasnt right. Will definitely keep an eye on that though and post if I see anything change.

Old 08-08-2007, 06:51 PM

Did you noticed that the fellow who had the problem said that that the dealer and MAZDA were replacing the wheels?....follow up with the guy it may be helpfull to you...

Old 10-24-2007, 03:45 PM

My dealer just looked at my wheels and they have to check with their rep for a claim.

Old 12-28-2007, 04:55 PM

ORIGINAL: Craig

After about a month of driving and several car washes I have noticed that the wheels look dirty. I tried cleaning them by hand with water and a towel and it appears that the "dirt" is beneath the protective finish. It looks like a mottled pattern of brake dust. I saw a post on another Mazda forum and was curious if anyone here has had the same problem.

Thank you,
Craig
Craig, I too am having this same problem. I have just discovered it today on my 2008 CX9. I have called the dealer and they said to bring it in and have them look at it. Please let me know of your outcome and I will do the same. Ryan.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:38 PM

I have read this problem on another forum. It seems that there was a bad batch of rims that have impurities beneath the clear coat. Take them in and have them replaced.

Old 03-26-2008, 03:38 PM

I have the same problem and Mazda is replacing the rims under warranty.

Old 07-06-2008, 02:35 PM

As a follow-up to my dirty wheel problem, my dealership did own up to the issue and replaced all four wheels and rubber with an exact CX-9 on his lot. I have had no issues with the new wheels so far and have washed the car at least once a week or two since.

Craig

Old 05-06-2009, 10:22 AM
Default Dirty wheels

Does anyone have any contact information or documents relating to having the OEM wheels replaced due to the brake dust stains under the clear coat?

I asked my local dealer to replace my wheels and was informed that they have never seen this problem before. They accused me of using something too strong to clean the wheels.

Quick Reply: Aluminum Alloy Wheels Look Dirty