Mazda CX-9 This larger SUV adds a V6 option, as well as more cargo room, to the CX-7 option.

2nd Row Climate Control - issue?

Old 12-10-2008, 02:16 PM
Default 2nd Row Climate Control - issue?

Hello All,

I recently purchased a 2008 CX-9 Grand Touring. I just noticed an issue with the 2nd row climate control...when I select rear control for the 2nd row vents and use the 2nd row controls, air ONLY blows out when I have the dial selected to the cold temperature range, the second I change it to the red side the air stops blowing. I just dropped off my vehicle at the dealership for an oil change and to check it out, they just called me and said they spoke with technical service and tried on another car and that is the way it is supposed to work. I asked why then have the controls for the hot side if all you can get is cold air? No answer. Does that mean only hot air comes from the front vents and the 2nd row vents will always be off unless set to cold?? No answer.

Can someone please let me know where I can look up this info, I don't have the manual on me (although I am not sure if this is even detailed in the manual). Do any of you have the same experience/is this the intended functionality or can you get hot air from the 2nd row vents?

I pick up the car tonight and will speak to them in person again.

Thanks!

Old 12-10-2008, 03:50 PM
Default RE: 2nd Row Climate Control - issue?

I will have to check, but I think that only cold air comes from the vent, but hot air comes from vents down below the rear of thefront seats.

I don't sitback there while the car is driving, but I'll check later.

Old 12-10-2008, 04:04 PM

Thanks a lot howardru for your response. My parents sat back there this past weekend when it was freezing here in NJ and I had to hear it about the non-heat for an hr on the road. I had not been in the back prior to that to check it out so didn't know whether it was an issue or not.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:36 PM

OK...just checked it out tonight. My wife wondered why I got out of the drivers seat and jumped in the back and shut the door :-)

So, I was correct. With the rear control enabled, when you select HOT temperature, the hot air comes out the bottom vent on the very bottom of the center console below the controls. When I switch the air to cold temperature, the air comes out the top vent.

So, unless the blower on your center console, point towards the rear passengers, is not wired up correctly, it should work. Minewas nice and toasty coming out the back of my CX-9. The vents are floor level.

[IMG]local://upfiles/19540/ED03F5FEB07246AE88D5DA21F9DDF3D2.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-10-2008, 10:29 PM

hahaha...sounds like something I would do. I just ran outside barefoot to the car after reading your response, my wife thought I was crazy because I just yelled "no shoes so I can feel the hot air!", needless to say I had to explain that one when I got back in the door.

It does work that way for me, a few clicks before turning to the red side it starts to blow from the bottom and switching back to blue and the cold air comes from the top vents. Thanks so much for your detailed response, this was eating me up at work. I thoroughly enjoyed the jpg as well.

I do enjoy the suv a lot, do you have the navigation system in your car? If you do, what do you think of it?

Old 12-11-2008, 06:05 AM

Shame on your dealer for not explaining that to you.

The Navigation Interface, actually sucks, and is very non-intuitive compared to the handhelds on the market. The display sucks. Plus you cannot re-program it while driving. However, the routing and voice commands/directions are pretty good for getting me where I need to go.

My recommendation is to NOT use this message board (it's dead for activity) and log into the two following:

The most active and great resource...
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=248

Not quite as active, but a lot of good information.
http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/Web...amp;model=CX-9

Old 01-01-2009, 06:31 PM

Well that was a very useful thread!! Thanks for the info. I had the same questions...... couldn't figure out why we were not getting heat.

Note: The Manual states that it doesn't blow hot air until it is warmed up..... Either way now I can feel a bit better. I was going to take it into the dealer....

SH