Mazda CX-7 This sporty turbocharged 4 cylinder SUV combines the spirit of a performance car with the versatility of an SUV.

Smart Key OK but immobilizer does not deactivate

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 01:53 PM
Default Smart Key OK but immobilizer does not deactivate

Hi all,
today my cx7 2.3 turbo did not start at all. The smart key seems fine, the "KEY" led indicator is green when I press the key, and I'm able to turn the key to the "ON" position and turn on all the elecrtical and electronic equipments. However, the immobilizer red (the one with the car and the key in it) starts blinking and the key does not makes the engine to start when placed on "ACC" position.
I've checked the smart key batteries, the car battery is new, I can hear the fuel pump to go in pressure when moveing the key to "ON", however the immobilizer prevents me to move the car in anyway. I've also tried the manual key without any success.
Then, in a desperate trial, I've checked with another smart key (taking car of not using both at the same time) and to disconnect the car battery for a couple of minutes and then engage it again.
I'm sure I have to make the car inspected by a mazda center, however if I only could get it up an running to the dealer....

The only thing I can say is that Ive not used the car in the last 7 days, however this is quite usual for my car and it is the first time it happens.

Any suggestion about what to do and/or try?

Old 05-18-2013, 02:07 PM

Only thing I can guess is, did you unlock the door with the key or fob?

Old 05-18-2013, 02:18 PM

The first time I unlock the door with the request button on the door itself, then I tried to lock and unlock the doors using the controller, and finally also with the key.
I forgot to mention that I've also tried to remove the battery from the remote, so to simulate and force the usage of the manual key (this was done since I was running out of ideas...).
So far, however, the door locking, windows and the roof works fine both with the remote and the buttons on the doors.

Old 05-18-2013, 05:05 PM

try locking/unlocking several times with the fob.

Old 05-19-2013, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Kevinkpk
try locking/unlocking several times with the fob.
No way.
I've tried to lock/unlock 10 times with the remote, but still the immobilizer is on. I've tried then to lock/unlock from every door thru the door request button, just to ensure there was no button causing a problem, but still nothing. There must be a way to unlock the immobilizer with the manual key!

Old 05-19-2013, 02:57 PM

Well, pop the security fuse, reinstall see if that does anything.

Old 05-20-2013, 05:56 AM
Super Moderator

Give your local Mazda Dealership a call. More than likely your car will need to be towed to them for a code check & diagnostic.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:04 AM

After two days my car decided to start again, but there was some problems stick around, for example the TDS light was always on no matter how the button was pressed or not. Now the car is to a Mazda center for a check.
Since I've never had a car with so much electronic, I hope this is just a case

Old 05-23-2013, 01:50 AM

The Mazda center stated that the immobilizer software required an upgrade, but now that I've back the car, they have changed the car battery claiming it had voltage spikes that caused the immobilizer to lock.
Now, the battery was changed 8 months ago, so it was quite new (in my opinion).

Old 05-23-2013, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by fluca1978
The Mazda center stated that the immobilizer software required an upgrade, but now that I've back the car, they have changed the car battery claiming it had voltage spikes that caused the immobilizer to lock.
Now, the battery was changed 8 months ago, so it was quite new (in my opinion).
I claim BS. Batteries are filters, they don't spike.

Quick Reply: Smart Key OK but immobilizer does not deactivate