Mazda CX-7 This sporty turbocharged 4 cylinder SUV combines the spirit of a performance car with the versatility of an SUV.

Rattling under load

Old 04-23-2019, 09:59 PM
Default Rattling under load

Ok so hereís my story,

just installed completely new timing chain kit vvt and all, replaced turbo core, exhaust manifold gasket, new battery, new plugs. So in park it runs and idles great, revs up no noise. Although at idle under the hood it sounds like the high pressure fuel pump ticks. While driving however when pushing the gas pedal to accelerate it rattles like valve train noise. I have a hard time pinpointing it as Iím driving. Could I not have the timing correct? Or maybe the vvt solenoid? I feel like Iím getting $100 dollared to death here lol. It really doesnít sound like a heat shield but more like valve rattle. Any help would be appreciated

Old 05-12-2019, 03:47 AM
Default Timing off.

The timing is off a little. If it runs smooth and quiet until boost starts building, then starts rattling, its valves slapping pistons due to the advancement of timing from the vvt adjusting and advancing the timing while under a bigger load.