Mazda CX-7 This sporty turbocharged 4 cylinder SUV combines the spirit of a performance car with the versatility of an SUV.

navi system

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 07:49 PM
Default navi system

Is anyone fully versed in the navi system that could posible help me as I can't seem to get it working like I think it should. I'm currently in Seattle and the dealer is much help.

Old 04-10-2007, 09:42 PM
Default RE: navi system

What kind of problems are you having?

Old 04-11-2007, 12:35 PM

Doesn't it talk to you telling you where to turn etc. I have only been able to fiqure out how to enter POI's and can't fiqure out the destination and can't get it to tell me to turn left etc and the next corner etc?
I assume (theres that word again) that you can enter an address under destination then have it guide you there?

Old 04-11-2007, 04:47 PM

Yes, the system should guide you with voice commands on when to turn and how far etc.
Once the system is turned on, push the Menu button in the row of buttons to theleft side of screen. On the touchscreen, select VOLUME and make sure it is not turned off but is on 5 or so.
Once this is done then push the Menu button in the row of buttons to the left side of screen again. On the touchscreen, select DESTINATION ENTRY and then ADDRESS on the next screen. You will then be given the option of CITY or STREET. If you want a street within your current location city then select STREET, if you want directions to another city then select CITY.
For an example I selected CITY and was then prompted to INPUT CITY NAME. I used the touchscreen to enter S..P..O and then screen changed to let me select either SPOKANE, WA or SPOKANE VALLEY, WA. I selected SPOKANE, WA on the touchscreen and was then prompted to INPUT STREET NAME. I then used the touchscreen to enter M...A...I and then screen changed to let me select E MAIN AVE or W MAIN AVE. I selected W MAIN AVE and screen again changed for a street number input between 1-1899. I used the touchscreen to input 1500 and then OK at bottom right corner of touchscreen. Now the screen will change to a map displaying the destination you just took all that time entering with 3 selections at the bottom of the touchscreen. DESTINATION, WAY POINT, MEMORY POINT. Selected the DESTINATION button on the touchscreen and screen changes to show you three different routes to get there. QUICK is in red, SHORT is in green, and ALTERNATE is in blue. Use the touchscreen to select which one you would like to travel and then touch the guide button on lower right corner of touchscreen. Voice guidance should now come on the speaker with directions on what to do next and will continue to guide you right up the final destination.
See if this helps you get started

Old 04-11-2007, 05:59 PM

I just got back from the dealer and got it figured out. The gal the writes up the workorders etc figured it out as none of the sales people nor service people new much- at least she was able to find so got in the car with me and we played with it for about 15 minutes and she got. I wish I had worked with her right away instead of the sales and service personal.

It's a very nice deal and I getting ready to leave the Seattle area for 6weeks this friday so will be using it a fair amount.
Thanks as I printed out you details so I have it for future reference.

Old 04-11-2007, 08:03 PM

Well am glad to hear that you have discovered how the thing works. Just takes sitting and playing with it for a while to get the hang of it. One thing that I did fail to mention and you will need if you are going to betravelling out of the OR, CA, ID area.
You will find that you cannot select any destinations outside of those three states. To make this possible you will need to do the following.

Press the MENU and then DESTINATION ENTRY on the touchscreen. You will notice on the left side of the screen a map of the US and Canada. Northwest should be highlighted in green.To get directions to other points in the US andCanada, press the CHANGE button on the touchscreen just below the map. The map will enlarge and will show the US divided into 10 regions and one for Canada. There are also touchscreen buttons on the left side labeled US1-US10 and last one labeled CAN for Canada. As you touch each of these buttons you will see a different corresponding section of the US highlighted and the states that would be included in this section listed below the map.
If, for example, you wanted to get direction to and for Miami, FL then you would select the US10 button and that area would be highlighted and FL GA NC SC would be displayed below the map.
To confirm your selection of this area you must push the RTN button on left side of Nav unit just below the MENU button. Failure to push the RTN button will just reset location back to current.

Did not know if you were taught that part but thought it would be extremely frustrating if you were in need of this function and did not know how to make it work.

Old 04-12-2007, 12:09 PM

I knew you had to change locations but was unaware you had to us RTN to have it stay there.
I'm working on the voice reconition today but think I have that.
Thanks

Old 04-12-2007, 04:45 PM

My thinking is not to good- I get it to recognize my commands ie- hotel, gas, etc. but now when your driving using the navigationin route and get hungryyou push the button, say fast food and the local resturants will pop up? at least that's how I think it is suppose to work.
What might I be doing wrong that it doesn't popup with locations?

Old 04-20-2007, 07:58 PM

As long as you are using the voice commands listed on page 40 of the Nav instructions it should do exactly that. Push the button on steering wheel...microphone should appear in upper left corner of Nav screen...say clearly "fast food"....Nav should then respond by saying "navigation fast food" and icons should appear. Popular ones like McDonalds icon will look like the golden arches but if not then touching the icon will display what fast food place it is.
If you are not getting the comand confirmation "navigation fast food" then it is not recognizing the command. Make sure interior is quite ie no radio or other talking and speak loudly and clearly. If you are getting the command confirmation but still no icons then maybe there are none local within the screen. Try using command "zoom out" to broaden your search area.
To clear all of the icons when you have to many use voice command " P O I off"

Old 04-21-2007, 03:14 PM

I just got to Arizona yesterday and used it from Seattle to a friend on the oregon coast then to LA and on over to arizona, worked good and it's nice.
When not needed is there anyway to just have the audio screen with the various radio stations up all the time? Right now it automatically goes to the agree screen and I can leave it there or if I push the agree button it goes to the navi screen and always stays there or returns there, I would rather have the audio screen up.

Quick Reply: navi system