Mazda CX-7 This sporty turbocharged 4 cylinder SUV combines the spirit of a performance car with the versatility of an SUV.

Mazda cx7 2008 Grand touring 2.3L Turbo HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2020, 08:36 PM
Unhappy Mazda cx7 2008 Grand touring 2.3L Turbo HELP!!!

Hi,

I'm new here but I have a Mazda cx7 2008 grand touring that has an engine failure. It has an oil leak that's most likely from the gasket valve cover but it fxcked up my engine bad. Oil is spilled everywhere and when I took it to Midas they told me I needed an engine swap... Looking online, those fxcking engines are expensive. So I was wondering if it were possible to swap out the engine for a 2011 model which I can get for a good price. Would it even be possible? Is it possible for me to put like a 2.5L in replace for a 2.3L Turbo? Can I buy any engine and just pop it in?

Sorry if these sound like stupid questions but I am kind of new to the mechanic side of cars, I am more of the "look" of the car. Any help will do and Ill respond as fast as possible. Thank you

Old 09-10-2020, 06:25 AM
Super Moderator

I would definitely get a second opinion on the engine. Unless its run out of oil & damaged internally, you should be able to get the gasket replaced & engine bay cleaned up.

I don't know if the 2.5 engine would fit as it was only FWD.

Old 11-25-2020, 08:26 AM

Same here. My engine light starting blinking out of nowhere. I took it to the shop as i thought it was only a misfire. After ordering the coils and swapping them out they found i had no pressure in cylinder 4 and no other cylonder had more than 90% pressure in any of them. Engine was screwed and the turbo was full of oil. Looking to swap out the engine also but dont know what would fit. And the cheapest engine i found is $2100. Any other engine can fit?? Thanks. Sorry i know this isnt an answer for your lost but just wanted to share.

Old 12-06-2020, 01:40 PM

There's talk on the internet that a 2.5L non-turbo from a 2011 will fit, but you have to do a lot more than just the engine. The computer expects a certain engine and interior. You can't swap one without the rest. So you have to have a whole donor vehicle. Sounds like way too much work. Here's where I found this info:

https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/maz...or-swap-39724/

I've done fairly advanced repairs on my cars, but this is not something I'd want to tackle.

There's a near free CX-7 here that has the same problem and I'm trying to figure out if it's worth fixing given the low, low purchase price.