Mazda CX-7 This sporty turbocharged 4 cylinder SUV combines the spirit of a performance car with the versatility of an SUV.

Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 12:17 PM
Aha
Question Help

Just bought a cx-7. Check engine light came on. Had it checked and code p2187 came up. That repair shop replaced the 02 pre heater. Light was off for 24 hours. When it came back on I took it to the dealership. Same code they replaced the fuel delivery pump. They had it for a week and a half. Light came back on 2 days later. After a google search I found it could possibly be a bad gas cap. Upon inspection of the gas cap I found it was cracked so I replaced it. Light came back on day later. Dealership said they went through everything and it was all good. Please help I have only made one payment and love my new car. Any suggestions?

Last edited by Aha; 04-09-2016 at 12:25 PM.
Old 04-10-2016, 04:33 AM
Super Moderator

DTC P2187

Fuel system too lean at idle

DETECTION CONDITION
• PCM monitors the short term fuel trim (SHRTFT) and long term fuel trim (LONGFT) during closed loop fuel control at idle. If the LONGFT and the sum total of these fuel trims exceed the preprogrammed criteria, the PCM determines that fuel system is too lean at idle.
Diagnostic support note
• This is a continuous monitor. (Fuel system)
• MIL illuminates if the PCM detects the above malfunctioning condition in two consecutive drive cycles or in one drive cycle while the DTC for the same malfunction has been stored in the PCM.
• PENDING CODE is available if the PCM detects the above malfunction conditions during the first drive cycle.
• FREEZE FRAME DATA is available.
• DTCs are stored in the PCM memory.
POSSIBLE CAUSE
• Erratic signal to PCM
― APP sensor signal
― ECT sensor signal
― MAF sensor signal
― TP sensor signal
― Related connector and terminal malfunction
― Related wiring harness malfunction
• Exhaust system leakage
• A/F sensor deterioration
• A/F sensor heater malfunction
• Air suction in intake-air system
• MAF sensor malfunction
• Purge solenoid valve malfunction
• Purge solenoid hoses improper connection
• Fuel pressure sensor malfunction
• Relief valve (built-in fuel delivery pipe) malfunction
• Spill valve control solenoid valve (built-in high pressure fuel pump) malfunction
• High pressure fuel pump malfunction
• Pressure regulator malfunction
• Fuel pump malfunction
• Fuel filter clogged or restricted
• Fuel leakage on fuel line from fuel delivery pipe and fuel pump
• Ignition system malfunction
• Insufficient engine compression
• Variable valve timing control system improper operation
• Misfire
• PCM malfunction

Old 04-11-2016, 11:03 PM

Like the way you highlighted fuel filter grim, nice touch, let it go. Anyhow, Aha, What year is your CX-7 and if it's 2010 or newer, turbo or non? There are a few older service bulletins for that code and it would narrow down the direction to look.

Old 10-07-2016, 09:40 AM
Default P2187 System Too Lean at Idle on turbo 2007 Mazda cx7

Please help I'm about to buy a Mazda CX7 2007 with turbo but there was a check engine light on the gentleman said that his father-in-law just replace O2 sensors and something of having to do with the turbo but they didn't turn the code off I had him take it to a mechanic and the mechanic turn the code off and said that this was the problem that was coming up do you know if it will probably turn back on seeing that they replace the O2 sensors should I have a mechanic look at it before I buy it

Old 10-07-2016, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
DTC P2187

Fuel system too lean at idle

DETECTION CONDITION
• PCM monitors the short term fuel trim (SHRTFT) and long term fuel trim (LONGFT) during closed loop fuel control at idle. If the LONGFT and the sum total of these fuel trims exceed the preprogrammed criteria, the PCM determines that fuel system is too lean at idle.
Diagnostic support note
• This is a continuous monitor. (Fuel system)
• MIL illuminates if the PCM detects the above malfunctioning condition in two consecutive drive cycles or in one drive cycle while the DTC for the same malfunction has been stored in the PCM.
• PENDING CODE is available if the PCM detects the above malfunction conditions during the first drive cycle.
• FREEZE FRAME DATA is available.
• DTCs are stored in the PCM memory.
POSSIBLE CAUSE
• Erratic signal to PCM
― APP sensor signal
― ECT sensor signal
― MAF sensor signal
― TP sensor signal
― Related connector and terminal malfunction
― Related wiring harness malfunction
• Exhaust system leakage
• A/F sensor deterioration
• A/F sensor heater malfunction
• Air suction in intake-air system
• MAF sensor malfunction
• Purge solenoid valve malfunction
• Purge solenoid hoses improper connection
• Fuel pressure sensor malfunction
• Relief valve (built-in fuel delivery pipe) malfunction
• Spill valve control solenoid valve (built-in high pressure fuel pump) malfunction
• High pressure fuel pump malfunction
• Pressure regulator malfunction
• Fuel pump malfunction
• Fuel filter clogged or restricted
• Fuel leakage on fuel line from fuel delivery pipe and fuel pump
• Ignition system malfunction
• Insufficient engine compression
• Variable valve timing control system improper operation
• Misfire
• PCM malfunction
I also want to know if it was the O2 sensors or whatever they replaced and the mechanic turned the check engine light off if it is fixed the code will not come back up right or if it's not fixed how soon will the check engine light come back on also if it's not fixed if I bring it to a mechanic they can plug it in and the code will come up still correct the guy needs to smog it before I will buy it that will also come up if there's still a problem right