Mazda CX-7 This sporty turbocharged 4 cylinder SUV combines the spirit of a performance car with the versatility of an SUV.

cylinder 2 missfire to not starting

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 09:44 PM
Default cylinder 2 missfire to not starting

Hello I own a 2011 Mazda CX7, It has run just great hasn't given me problems but I think I did it. My engine light came on 2 hours from my home. I took it to autozone they were nice enough to give me code, I forgot what it was but they showed me its yours 2 cylinder misfire. I asked him if I can drive home like that he said yes it will shake but you're okay and he was right, he also advised when you get home change out the connectors and redo the test, if your getting the same code its your engine coil and you can switch that out. I got home and switched the two inside connectors as I was advised too, but when I went to turn it on, it did not turn over, so I went ahead and replaced the 2 inside engine coils and all 4 spark plugs and the Mazda is still not turning over, I do not know what I did and I have a feeling it could be something electrical....Any suggestions??

Old 07-29-2017, 04:21 PM

If it's not turning over its most likely not related to your misfire issue. I would make sure your battery is charged before going any further on anything else.

Old 08-14-2017, 05:41 PM

Déjà vu all over again! I just had the same #2 misfire in my newly acquired 2011. I swapped the COILS, 2 with 3, and the problem went away! I installed new coils and plugs anyway.

When you say "turn over" do you mean catch and run or the starter spin the engine without running, or ??? I see I'm late to this, but maybe the hint that full details will help others to help you will be good for everyone.

Old 08-22-2017, 10:23 AM

First off thanks for your replies, first yes the battery is charged and it turns on the radio, a/c, wipers, windows etc.

Mr. MnMiate yes that was what I was supposed to do, was switch the coils, to find out exactly which coil was out, but instead of switching the coils, my lack of knowledge I switched the connectors that connect to the coils, and I put the 2 connector on the 3 and 3 connector on the 2, when I was supposed to do what you did which was switch the coils to find out which one is out or to see if the coil is the actual problem, since I replaced the number 2 and number 3 coils along with all the spark plugs once I figured out I was supposed to switch the coils and not the connectors but now it doesn't start at all, i read on line something about the car needs to retain itself because I switched the connectors..so idk any help will be much appreciated.

Old 08-22-2017, 05:04 PM

Make sure the connectors are in their proper position or it won't run! Mine were cable tied into position such that it would be hard to impossible to mix them up. Yours should be too unless you cut the ties, then if you did so you'll have to experiment to get it right.

Are you sure the coils are the right ones?

Old 08-23-2017, 07:54 AM

Yes, I re-traced the steps I took, I've put the connectors back on the correct coils (yes I cut the zip ties but again everything is back how it was) replaced 2 and 3 coils with spark plugs and it just won't start, I will double check the coils to make sure they are the correct ones. Thanks again if you have any other suggestions I'll take it, the car has been sitting on the driveway for a month now collecting dust.

Old 08-24-2017, 09:18 AM

I'd put the original plugs and coils back in and see if it starts. If it doesn't, you may have other problems, assuming it was running when you swapped the coil wires to begin with.

Did you set the new plug gaps to correct settings? Mine came way too wide open and needed to be adjusted. .032" worked for me, I got the platinum plugs. The old ones did not look worn at all so I kept them for "just in case", same with the coils that I removed that were working, in case I got inferior coils from the Amazon vendor.

Are you sure the coil had failed? I'd read on Amazon where folks were getting dead coils from cheapo venders, maybe you got DOA coils? That's why I suggest putting all original parts back in.

Make sure if you have the turbo, that the intercooler hose connections are securely seated and clamps snugged up and all ship shape.

Other than these, I have nothing to suggest beyond getting professional help. Offer the local mechanic a case of beer or something to have him stop by to diagnose after his workday or some such. Maybe he'll find it right away?

Old 10-03-2017, 01:37 PM

Update: The vehicle had to be re-programmed, everything works fine now....