Mazda CX-7 This sporty turbocharged 4 cylinder SUV combines the spirit of a performance car with the versatility of an SUV.

CX 7 and fuel efficiency

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 12:25 AM
Default CX 7 and fuel efficiency

Hi all,
I just bought recently a new 08 CX7 GT AWD with Luxury Package. I'm not new to Mazda Town ...my prevoius car was a Mazda 3 and I traded in for this muscular crossover. I'm loving the power...the turbo...but I'm concerned about the gas consumption...
With a full tank a was ble to drive no more than 420 km....mixed city and hightway.
I'm using the same gas usd in my Mazda 3 (ESSO Premium 91 octane number).
My questio is simple....What is your ful efficiecy wit you CX 7.
Thx

Old 03-07-2008, 10:00 AM
Default RE: CX 7 and fuel efficiency

This is one of the big issues with this car.

When I purchased my Touring AWD it listed 18mpg city/23mpg highway.

But my real world mileage has been 19 combined city/hwy easy or 22 highway easy

If my wife drives it in town the mileage will drop to 13 city as she has a lead foot at every light.[>:]

I have installed a 3" ETS intercooler and plan on installing a CAI and BOV and a better exhaust. A guy on another forum claims these have boosted his mileage to 24-25 hwy. With a big boost in power too.

It just does not seem to deliver the mileage a 2.3 4 cyl engine should when running below 2,500 rpm ie off the turbo boost as one would expect.

I have just learned to drive with a very light foot and manually upshift in to higher gears early. And I try not to let the wife drive MY CAR....

Old 03-07-2008, 05:55 PM

Thanks for your answer.
I'm really dissapointed by this fuel economy problem and is only here in North America. In Europe this car has a 13 liters/100 km city driving and 9 liters/100 km highway...and 260 HP with the same engine...but a manual transmision and of course better gas...octan # 95 or 98. The drawback I think is the 6speed automatic and awd.
Can you tell me from where you will buy all the extra parts for your car?
It won't void the warranty if you will install custom exhaust and intercooler?
Any custom chip available on the market (USA & Canada).

Another question: do you have automatic front sensing wipers or not...because in Canada this function is not either an option..but in Europe is standard on all models.
Thanks again and enjoy an amazing car even it's eating gas like a H3

Old 03-27-2008, 11:50 PM

This is one of the big issues with this car.
Not for everbody. My wife's 2008 CX-7 2wd gets over 21mpg in the city. She drives very conservatively.
We've never taken it for a long trip so I don't know what it gets on the highway.
How you take-off from a dead stop makes a lot of difference. Coasting as much as possible helps tremendously.

My father-in-law has a '08 Buick with real-time fuel consumption updated every 2 seconds.
When observiing this, it's amazing how one's driving habits can effect fuel economy.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:45 PM

I've got the 08 CX7 GS 2WD, and I get 300 km per half-tank (i.e. 600 km per tank, projected). I recall the salesman saying that 4WD eats up more gas--maybe it's true! I drive 80% highway.

ORIGINAL: stephend

Hi all,
I just bought recently a new 08 CX7 GT AWD with Luxury Package. I'm not new to Mazda Town ...my prevoius car was a Mazda 3 and I traded in for this muscular crossover. I'm loving the power...the turbo...but I'm concerned about the gas consumption...
With a full tank a was ble to drive no more than 420 km....mixed city and hightway.
I'm using the same gas usd in my Mazda 3 (ESSO Premium 91 octane number).
My questio is simple....What is your ful efficiecy wit you CX 7.
Thx

Old 03-28-2008, 06:09 PM

ORIGINAL: stephend

Thanks for your answer.
I'm really dissapointed by this fuel economy problem and is only here in North America. In Europe this car has a 13 liters/100 km city driving and 9 liters/100 km highway...and 260 HP with the same engine...but a manual transmision and of course better gas...octan # 95 or 98. The drawback I think is the 6speed automatic and awd.
Can you tell me from where you will buy all the extra parts for your car?
It won't void the warranty if you will install custom exhaust and intercooler?
Any custom chip available on the market (USA & Canada).

Another question: do you have automatic front sensing wipers or not...because in Canada this function is not either an option..but in Europe is standard on all models.
Thanks again and enjoy an amazing car even it's eating gas like a H3

I think the manual transmission and higher octane boosts mileage. Wish I had the manual most days.

1. I obtained my 3" TMIC from ETS directly.
2. I have ordered my CPE CAI from CPE directly and it should be here on the 31st.
3. I am up in the air between a Forge and Turbosmart BOV there are a few sources for each.
4. Exhaust mods will be by my buddy who owns All American Muffler here in town. Cat back custom 3" pipes and twin turbo mufflers
The BOV, CAI and TMIC all can be removed in an afternoon before smog or service at the dealer. The exhaust is only cat back so no one really cares. If I did the downpipe and such then there would be an issue.

No we have manual wipers front and rear on our car

The AWD is really fun on twisty roads !

Old 04-03-2008, 11:08 AM

Could I get some input on what others are getting for mpg? I just bought my CX7last saturday (2007) and due to my ignorance was missled about the mpg (was told around 27 mpg) and the factory advertises 17/23. I think the car is very nice, and drives very good, just a little concerned over the mpg.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:45 PM

My CX-7 does well in warm weather, but hates the cold - summer time I average 25 mpg mixed highway and city driving - on a solid highway trip have done 27.5 mpg in summer - but in cold weather only 22 oh the highway and we won't even discuss the city mpg in cold weather

Old 04-12-2008, 03:51 PM

i drive less than 12 miles a day rond trip to work and i average around 17.5 mpg and havent taken many long trips but when i do i get about 21- 23mpg

Old 04-12-2008, 09:03 PM

Strange car. Best highway mileage was just under 21 in a run from Las Vegas to Los Angeles at mostly 85 mph. In the city, seeming to drive it the same, mileage ranges from 16 - 18.

Quick Reply: CX 7 and fuel efficiency