Mazda CX-7 This sporty turbocharged 4 cylinder SUV combines the spirit of a performance car with the versatility of an SUV.

Check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 02:12 PM
Default Check engine light

hello everyone....

I just got my CX7 two weeks ago. I am quite pleased with the car. However, the check engine light turned on a few days ago. I am not sure what happened and called the dealership for a check up. Does anybody know what the possible problem is and how to turn it off? There have been a few things done before the check engine light turned on:

- The car was taken back to the dealer for LoJack installation and final inspection.
- I refilled the gas tank, but not with the premium gas. This was a mistake from the gas attendant who filled mid-grade gas (89 octane) instead of the premium gas.

I've checked the gas cap and it was not loosen.

This is the first time I own a Mazda (my last three cars were all Honda accord) and so I don't know how reliable Mazda car is. Any idea would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 09-11-2006, 02:28 PM
Default RE: Check engine light

If the guy topped off your tank too high it could trip the CEL. It happened to me on my 3...

You could go to a local autoparts store that has a tool loaner program and reset the code to get rid of the light. (Real easy to use...most likely the connector for it is under the steering column or dashboard on the driver's side. It will be a fairly big connector with 2 rows of terminals. Reset it, then if it comes back on again, have it checked out by the dealer.

The non-premium gas could do it too. Add a bottle of Octane boost to your tank as well.

Old 09-11-2006, 08:17 PM

There are 135 different codes that can be stored depending on what the problem is. If you feel it might be due to the use of the regular fuel which is not likely then you might get the code checked by Autozone, otherwise just get it back into the dealer to be diagnosed and repaired. The first CX-7 we sold came back in 157 miles later with CEL on and a faulty leak detection pump. Have an appointment tomorrow for another one but do not know what it is yet other than CEL on.
New models always tend to have a few glitches that just need to get worked out. No need to worry.

Old 09-12-2006, 09:50 PM

Mine was in the dealers shop yesterday. They said it was a MAP code and reset the code. I looked at the gas cap and found some kind of clear grease around the threads. So we'll see what happens. First "check engine light" at 900 miles and 3 weeks old.
I have another concern that I am not to happy about and the service writer could not answer to my satisfaction. When you lock the doors and try to exit the drivers door the only way you can open the door is to unlock them. The techs thought it could be fixed to lock and unlock by changing the program but when they looked at that and they could not. I would think this is some kind of safety issue. What do some of you think. Do all Mazda models do the same? And I would think that the locks could be programed to lock and unlock after shifting out of Park and then back to Park.

Old 09-14-2006, 03:44 PM

Thanks guys. It was the mid-grade gas that caused the CEL to turn on. I refilled the gas tank again with premium gas and the CEL turned off two days later. This makes me concern that if a non premium gas is used (occasionally), will the engine or the turbocharged get damaged?

Old 09-20-2006, 02:56 PM

My CEL turned on again yesterday and I took it to my car dealer for a check up. What they told me was that they needed to replace the gas cap of my car. Apparently there was a recall on this gas cap (and I did not know that until now) and not all CX7 need to have this gas cap replaced.

Old 09-20-2006, 10:17 PM

I just had my CEL come on in my RX 8 for the third time in 2 1/2 weeks. I have had the car almost 3 years and it's never done this. The first two times I did forget to tighten my gas cap....this last time I made sure I tightened it after my fill up and a day later it came on. I took it in and it was the gas cap code. Geez, now I worry it will come on with every fill up and that would be crazy!! I have a buyer and am awaiting to hear if he could get financing so I can get a CX 7!!!! Keep your fingers crossed for me!!

Old 10-03-2006, 11:24 AM

690 miles, my GT is at the dealer today, Engine light - most likely gas cap related. Faulty design with the 3 and teh CX-7, i guess they use the same cap and connection. He told me there were a bunch of people coming in all with the check engine light on, sounds like Mazda should get on therecall asap and get everyone a new cap that works.

I have found the cap lose inside the hatch when i go to fill up. I usually crank the cap a bunch of times, but it still comes lose. . . see what happens later today

Old 10-30-2006, 12:23 PM

Mazda is coming out with a different gas cap to fix this problem.

Old 03-04-2007, 11:30 PM

I have cx-7 that i purchased in oct 06 after i hit 1000mi the cel came on while I was on vaction took it to a local dealer where i was at and they told me that the gas cap wasnt tight enough and all i had to do was turn the key on and off 50 times to reset the light HAHAHAHA they reset the computer and 2 days later it came on took it back and they did the same thing once I returned home after vaction I took it to the dealership that I purchased it from and they did the same thing and reset the computer did this 2 more times and finally found out about the recall for the fuel cap and was told that, that was the reason the light kept coming on. 2 days later quess what CEL came on again so i do not think the cap was the problem i am at the point where i am planning on taking the vehicle back and having them give me something different or i am going to file a complaint with consumer affairs for giving me a lemon. which really hurts to say because i am a big mazda fan.

Quick Reply: Check engine light