Mazda CX-7 This sporty turbocharged 4 cylinder SUV combines the spirit of a performance car with the versatility of an SUV.

Anyone heard of brake shifting?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 12:46 PM
Question Anyone heard of brake shifting?

Hi,
Mazda told me that it's normal in the CX and MPV series for the brake pads or calipers to shift slightly when the brakes are applied the 1st time in the direction of travel. I had complained about hearing a 'clunk' from the wheels that only happens on the initial brake press; thereafter it is quiet/unnoticeable. If I switch to reverse, then the metal-shifting noise is heard once again when I apply the brake. The tech told me that there's nothing that can be done about the noise, and it's 'normal'. Has anyone experienced this, or is Mazda trying to avoid an expensive warranty-repair job?

Kam.

Old 11-18-2009, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, brake pads and especially calipers do purposely have a little "slop" built into them. They have to have some clearance in order to move and do what they do. The caliper body has to slide from one side to the other as pressure is put to them, but it is usually well dampened so as not to be so obvious. Pads are also not always a perfect fit and may be a lil' sloppy in the caliper housing?
If it is that obvious, I would guess that something is not quite right. Perhaps a pad retaining spring is not up to par, or the pads themselves may not be machined quite right. But of course I am not there to judge for myself, so I can only guess.
I would ask your dealer to put the car on a lift and show you what they are talking about. Make THEM prove their theory. YOU are the customer, right? I know that customer are not always right, but there should be some solution or satisfaction offered.

Old 11-23-2009, 11:52 PM

I have the same deal on my Mazda3 and I hate it. But I got the same story and I just learned to deal with it. It's supposed to be a "normal" sound. I think that there may be a little something that is off like virgin1 has stated.
I wish I had them prove it to me when I was still under warranty!