Mazda CX-50 This Crossoverr SUV is for folks who want to get out and go off-road!

All-new Mazda CX-50

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2021, 12:59 PM
Former Sponsor
Default All-new Mazda CX-50

Looks like Mazda dropped the details on the new CX-50 today. Here's the details:
  • Available Spring 2022 for the U.S. Market
  • Base engine N/A 2.5, turbo 2.5 optional, with hybrid versions possibly available in the future
  • 6-speed automatic with AWD as standard, new "Mi-Drive" drive mode selector for AWD
  • Will be built at the joint Mazda/Toyota plant in Hunstville, Alabama

Well, what do you think? Will this replace your CX-5?

Last edited by Footwork Autosport; 11-15-2021 at 01:04 PM.
Old 11-15-2021, 07:40 PM

Looking great but I do not think it will replace our CX-5

Old 11-16-2021, 08:36 AM
Default Cx-50

As someone who was lurking, it looks like they are addressing some gripes I've seen in the forums.
1. Rear seat legroom
2. Ground clearance
3. Increased roof rail strength
4. More rear hauling room behind the seats.
5. Smallish skylight

This appears aimed at Subaru Wildernest edition, Forester/Outback.

I was reading yesterday this is wider than a CX-9.

I'll need to see some of the specs, as I don't want to buy up to a whole bigger 3 row hauler.

One thing is looks like it cures for me personally, is the upper end interiors Signature etc, seemed dark as coal inside. The headliner on this is lighter=brighter.

The front profile reminds me of a car I've seen and I can't place it. The narrow greenhouse, that abruptly juts out to the fenders and doors, is a look I've seen on a foreign ride, but I can't seem to place it.

As a Colorado driver, this thing with a turbo looks like it was designed for us. Be nice if they offered new paint colors to spice things up. I like those brown seats, reminds me of Dodge's Longhorn edition truck seat.

Old 11-16-2021, 11:52 AM

It does look like a nice refresh of theCX-5 - with a nod to more luxury. Is there a price yet? I'm betting this will sell well and (on top of Covid pricing) there will be few discounts. Is there a concern with it not being mde in Japan, as it seems, the CX-5 has an excellent reliability record.

Old 11-17-2021, 10:04 AM

Someone else said they seem to doing a luxury version of the Subaru Outback Wilderness Edition, which is an interesting package since the Outback has optional interior accessories that "armor" the rear seatbacks and cargo area walls with plastic "skid plates" like pieces, so the interior will not get torn up by gear, or soaked in mud, etc..

Separately, the Outback has skid plate protection installed as part of the Wilderness Edition package. It will be interesting to see if the CX 50 has real skid plates installed or optional or even available as offered on the Subaru Wilderness Edition.

My neighbor just got one of those turbo powered Outback Wilderness Edition, and it is pretty cool looking for a Subaru. He opted for the interior protection so that his dog and all the camping gear he will sling in there, as well as having provision for roof mounted kayaks and towing a small sailboat. He is not planning on getting one of those roof mounted tents.

Last edited by Chas2; 11-17-2021 at 10:08 AM.
Old 11-17-2021, 12:42 PM

Maybe it's just the way the pictures were shot, but the seats where you actually sit - not the bolsters look to a cloth type material, not leather.

Old 11-18-2021, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by bobm
Maybe it's just the way the pictures were shot, but the seats where you actually sit - not the bolsters look to a cloth type material, not leather.
This may be following the Subaru lead also where the Onyx and Wilderness both higher level trims, have Star-tex water resistant upholstery, instead of Napa Leather, in the Touring edition. The Star-tex upholstery is for the more outdoorsy crowd that might be wet, muddy, etc,

Wonder if Mazda is offering similar options, and you are perhaps seeing that?.

Old 11-18-2021, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Chas2
This may be following the Subaru lead also where the Onyx and Wilderness both higher level trims, have Star-tex water resistant upholstery, instead of Napa Leather, in the Touring edition. The Star-tex upholstery is for the more outdoorsy crowd that might be wet, muddy, etc,

Wonder if Mazda is offering similar options, and you are perhaps seeing that?.
You are probably correct about the CX-50 seats.
I have those Star-tex seats in my Crosstrek and damned if I could yell the difference between that and vinyl.

Old 11-20-2021, 06:41 PM

I am a bit confused about the CX-50. I don't know the specs but it appears very similar in size to the CX-5. So my question is- why are they doing a refresh of the current CX-5 and releasing the CX-50 in the same year? The CX-50 seems like a CX-5 replacement so isn't the older CX-5 redundant? I am starting to think I should have waited and not made a decision until May 22 on getting a refreshed CX-5 or CX-50. I do prefer the Japanese built CX-5 but if the CX-50 is roomier and has better seats with the same 2.5T motor....

Old 11-22-2021, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
I am a bit confused about the CX-50. I don't know the specs but it appears very similar in size to the CX-5. So my question is- why are they doing a refresh of the current CX-5 and releasing the CX-50 in the same year? The CX-50 seems like a CX-5 replacement so isn't the older CX-5 redundant? I am starting to think I should have waited and not made a decision until May 22 on getting a refreshed CX-5 or CX-50. I do prefer the Japanese built CX-5 but if the CX-50 is roomier and has better seats with the same 2.5T motor....
Good question. I'm betting - just like with Subaru's Outback Wilderness, they are aiming for a (slightly) different segment - those who 1. like the CX-5, but want something more capable/rugged to travel the backroads and 2. those who like the CX-5 and want to be seen driving something more capable/rugged to travel the backroads. I suspect the CX-50 will be several thousand dollars more expensive and be in fairly limited quantities. It will also be interesting to see if quality remains as high as the Japanese built CX-50.

Quick Reply: All-new Mazda CX-50