Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Windshield- OEM or Aftermarket

Old 10-29-2018, 06:42 AM
Default Windshield- OEM or Aftermarket

Hello,

I have the 2017 CX-5 GT. I was driving on the freeway and got hit with a rock chip. Safelite tried to repair it but it ended up cracking the windshield. The crack is about 6”-8” long from the bottom middle to the passenger side. Safelite is quoting me $671 after tax for an aftermarket/OEE replacement, or $917 for OEM. I’ll be paying out of pocket since my comprehensive deductible is $1,000.

I did a lot of research and I couldn’t find much info on aftermarket windshields. In fact, it seems like OEM was the only option until recently. My question is should I pay up and stick with OEM, or save the money and get an aftermarket instead?

I don’t mind spending the extra money if the OEM is better somehow. I just don’t want to pay the premium if there’s no difference between the two, and not to mention I could get another rock chip in the future. I replaced my windshield 3 times on my last vehicle. I don’t follow close but rocks just fly everywhere!

What do you guys think? Thank you for your help.

Old 10-29-2018, 10:39 AM

I had to replace my 2016 GT windshield due to rock chip. I have full coverage with my insurance so they just ordered the replacement and guy that did the work had to order an OEM " due to all the electronics involved in the glass". It took a couple of weeks but it was replaced with the Mazda OEM glass. I would go that route on a car like this.

Old 10-29-2018, 11:07 AM

Just had my '16 GT replaced. State Farm "Linx" system handled it. Wound up being an aftermarket piece. Definitely different tint than OEM. Went back to discuss with the shop. We agreed to have them put an eyebrow on it and call it good. OEM seems to be a little darker tint.

Old 10-29-2018, 12:36 PM

Just read about a similar situation over at mazda6club with a 2017 (I believe) GT. Apparently the OEM screen has a film applied to it for additional sound isolation. Not sure if this applies to the CX-5, but worth investigating before pulling the trigger.

Old 10-30-2018, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by dasrider
Just read about a similar situation over at mazda6club with a 2017 (I believe) GT. Apparently the OEM screen has a film applied to it for additional sound isolation. Not sure if this applies to the CX-5, but worth investigating before pulling the trigger.
Hummmm. Interesting.

I'll check into it.

Thanks.

Old 11-01-2018, 11:12 PM

Thanks guys. I’ve decided to stick with OEM just to be safe. I already scheduled an appointment with my local dealership. And they’re a participating Costco dealer so it’ll be 15% off

Last edited by khl3657; 11-02-2018 at 04:07 AM.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:38 AM

I just went through this as well on our 2017 GT. A rock hit the top of the windshield right above the camera and it soon cracked. The insurance referred me to a local glass shop and they had to order a OEM from the Mazda dealer. That took several weeks. Finally the new windshield was available and installed.

I do notice that this new windshield seems to have slightly less tint than the original. It looks exactly like the old one but something is different.

Old 11-03-2018, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Puyapim
I just went through this as well on our 2017 GT. A rock hit the top of the windshield right above the camera and it soon cracked. The insurance referred me to a local glass shop and they had to order a OEM from the Mazda dealer. That took several weeks. Finally the new windshield was available and installed.

I do notice that this new windshield seems to have slightly less tint than the original. It looks exactly like the old one but something is different.
That’s interesting. You would think OEM be exactly the same. Is it different in a good or bad way?

My glass hasn’t arrived yet so I wouldn’t know for another 2 weeks or so.

Old 11-04-2018, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Puyapim

He he he. She Who Must Be Obeyed and I both went "whoa!". Almost gives one a sense of being larger than the original somehow. Hard to describe but definitely different.

The service manager said he was going to ask his corporate "sources" and get back to me.... So far, crickets.

Old 11-04-2018, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by khl3657

That’s interesting. You would think OEM be exactly the same. Is it different in a good or bad way?

My glass hasn’t arrived yet so I wouldn’t know for another 2 weeks or so.

I wouldn’t say it either good nor bad. The glare is a bit annoying. Also, as I did with the original windshield I have to clean it very well. I use Nextzett Scheibenklar to do the job. These windshields have some sort of coating or contamination on them that causes smearing. Using a strong cleaner takes care of that issue.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Windshield- OEM or Aftermarket