Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda CX-5 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-cx-5-54/)
-   -   What 19" tires to buy? (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-cx-5-54/what-19-tires-buy-36419/)

Lea Ann 01-25-2016 11:53 AM

What 19" tires to buy?

I have the 19" wheels on a 2014 Grand Touring Mazda CX-5 and the factory tires are worn down at 38,000 miles.

The recommended 225/55R19 99V tires are rare, and expensive, and not in stock most places, but the tire guys recommend 235/50R19 or 235/55R19

So, if I go with a slightly different size (to get a cheaper, in-stock tire) do any of you have recommendations?

What did you replace your factory tires with, and why?

NOTE: I live in Florida. My mechanic says don't get Michelin's with long tread life, because he says the tires will dry rot before the tread is worn so I won't get the value I paid for if I paid extra for long tread life.

THANKS in advance!

paris1 01-25-2016 02:31 PM

Don't know what you're budget is, but Continental TruContact Touring is at the top of every short list these days, including TireRack.com., where they're $166 each. They come in your size too. That's what I plan on replacing my 17" Touring tires with.

Lea Ann 01-25-2016 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by paris1 (Post 156251)
Don't know what you're budget is, but Continental TruContact Touring is at the top of every short list these days, including TireRack.com., where they're $166 each. They come in your size too. That's what I plan on replacing my 17" Touring tires with.

EXCELLENT! That gives me more information for research. I've been warned against long tread life Michelins, and have quotes for Nitto, Firestone, and Bridgestone. The options are kind of overwhelming to me. I'll go look up Continental Tires and their reviews, and see what I can find out!

paris1 01-25-2016 03:11 PM

The Contis are long life too (you can tell by the UTG rating of 800!), but if they are within your budget, what the heck! If you have any further questions, maybe I can help.

Lea Ann 01-25-2016 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by paris1 (Post 156253)
The Contis are long life too (you can tell by the UTG rating of 800!), but if they are within your budget, what the heck! If you have any further questions, maybe I can help.

I just ordered them! No one previously had suggested them and they have excellent ratings as well as being the right size (previously looking at options near to the recommendation, but slightly different). AND the long tread wear life. I'm VERY HAPPY that you replied. I've been agonizing, and never found anything I was as interested in for the price. Tire's Plus was able to get them for installation tomorrow for an out the door price of $872 Tire Kingdom wanted $1,116 and Sam's Club was too busy to give me a quote, so I just pulled the trigger.

THANKS AGAIN for your help - took a weight off of my shoulders, and marked something off of my to do list! :)

paris1 01-25-2016 06:55 PM

Do me a favor. After you've had them on for a couple of weeks, leave a comment with your general impressions here. Ride quality, road noise and that sort of thing. OK?

Lea Ann 01-25-2016 07:51 PM

I'll do that! If you haven't heard from me, and think of it, post a comment asking me to come back! :-)

Mckzx9 01-29-2016 10:52 PM

Ok lea Ann comeback and let us know. We are all waiting lol;)

Lea Ann 01-30-2016 04:31 AM

Hello, I'm NOT a car person and know very little how to describe them. They are no longer bald. LOL. They do seem to grip the road more. Ask me specific questions and I'll see if I am able to answer them. I've been driving my truck more recently, and am about to leave on a 1-week trip with my truck, so if you can ask me in about a month, I will have been back and driving my car again.

Sasha5 02-13-2016 11:06 AM

How do the new tires handle the curves and how's the ride?
I know it's early but do you see any gain or loss on fuel economy?

I've had my new CX-5 for 2 months and these rock-hard Toyo tires must go.
Also looking at the Contis.

paris1 02-13-2016 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Sasha5 (Post 156523)
How do the new tires handle the curves and how's the ride?
I know it's early but do you see any gain or loss on fuel economy?

I've had my new CX-5 for 2 months and these rock-hard Toyo tires must go.
Also looking at the Contis.

Don't be so sure it's those "rock hard Toyos" that are the culprit. Remember, they're low profile tires wrapped around 19" wheels and you may be one of those owners who's sensitive to those stiff sidewalls. Try dropping the pressures a few pounds. The main reason Mazda recommends 36psi is to minimize rolling resistance and maximize fuel economy. My 2013 Touring model (with 17" rims/tires; recommended psi 34#) is lowered 1.5" which makes the already stiff CX-5 suspension even stiffer. So I run my tires at 30# to take the edge off with no adverse affects. Try dropping yours to 32# and see if you notice any difference. Oh, and the other possibility with your two month old car (if you have not checked tire pressures since delivery) is that the dealer delivered the car with overinflated tires from the trip across the pond (done so by Mazda in order to prevent flat-spotting of the tires during transit). Dealers are notorious for neglecting to lower the pressure during PDI )pre-delivery inspection). Good luck!

Sasha5 02-13-2016 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by paris1 (Post 156528)
Don't be so sure it's those "rock hard Toyos" that are the culprit. Remember, they're low profile tires wrapped around 19" wheels and you may be one of those owners who's sensitive to those stiff sidewalls. Try dropping the pressures a few pounds. The main reason Mazda recommends 36psi is to minimize rolling resistance and maximize fuel economy. My 2013 Touring model (with 17" rims/tires; recommended psi 34#) is lowered 1.5" which makes the already stiff CX-5 suspension even stiffer. So I run my tires at 30# to take the edge off with no adverse affects. Try dropping yours to 32# and see if you notice any difference. Oh, and the other possibility with your two month old car (if you have not checked tire pressures since delivery) is that the dealer delivered the car with overinflated tires from the trip across the pond (done so by Mazda in order to prevent flat-spotting of the tires during transit). Dealers are notorious for neglecting to lower the pressure during PDI )pre-delivery inspection). Good luck!

I'll give that a try on lowering air pressure. I think I'm running about 35lbs last I checked.
I searched the Tire Rack reviews under these Toyo tires and a few users switched to the Pirellis in which they like the ride but lost some fuel economy and maybe some handling. So, I'm just researching options and may even consider -1 sizing, going with 18'' wheels along with proper tire sizing which should be a taller, more comfortable tire. The overly tight ride is my only complaint. The great seats help a lot. Glad I didn't choose the RAV.

Lea Ann 02-13-2016 05:54 PM

I am happy with the feel of the Contis. They seem to grip the road, and feel "comfortable" (hard to describe really). I haven't done any gas mileage calculations.

Buzzard 02-14-2016 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by paris1 (Post 156528)
Oh, and the other possibility with your two month old car (if you have not checked tire pressures since delivery) is that the dealer delivered the car with overinflated tires from the trip across the pond (done so by Mazda in order to prevent flat-spotting of the tires during transit). Dealers are notorious for neglecting to lower the pressure during PDI )pre-delivery inspection). Good luck!

Like P1 said ^^

My 2016GT was delivered with 46psi all the way around after having gone through 2 dealerships. I dropped to the 36 recommended and am happy.
Gonna wait to see about tire wear to adjust from there.

As an aside, I ran 17" wheels on my Speed 3 (down from 18") with the appropriate diameter/circumference - Tire Rack has a handy website for researching that stuff. It makes a notable difference in ride quality.

Sasha5 02-15-2016 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Lea Ann (Post 156534)
I am happy with the feel of the Contis. They seem to grip the road, and feel "comfortable" (hard to describe really). I haven't done any gas mileage calculations.

That sounds good enough for me. Discount tire gives a 30 day satisfaction guarantee so I feel safe about the change. They quoted me $805 for everything with a small credit for the Toyos. They said they've had several of these cars come into their shop with same complaint. Thx Lee Ann

katana 02-17-2016 08:58 PM

The contis are excellent. They are also great in snow. Ignore those insist that you have to have dedicated snows for winter- they are dead wrong.
Tires have come a long way and these rock. I drove the CX5 in 8" of heavy snow, did great and braked well too.
Of course, two weeks later, we had temps in the 60's (yeah, glad I didn't have snows!).
Real nice riding tire, probably as good in the snow as a dedicated snow tire vintage 2000, great warranty, this is a great tire.

Tomonly 03-13-2016 02:59 PM

Needing new Tires '14 Grand Touring

At 22k miles I picked up a long screw and drove to my local America's Tire shop where they fixed the tire. Free with re-balance.
Alas, they measured 4 32" - 5 32" tread depth on all four tires. I keep them aired to 36 psi and rotate at each 6 months.
We are not thrilled with the Toyo A23 tires due to road noise, stiffness of ride, and their almost $300 each replacement cost.
Considering that we have almost 10k miles of a driving trip ahead of us and want to keep the cost of new tires down while getting a set of all season tires that are quieter, smoother in ride and have longer life - we are considering the following tires in the larger size of 235/55-19:

MICHELIN PREMIER A/S 235/55-19 About $230 each. Always happy with Michelin tires over the past 45 years.

PIRELLI SCORPION VERDE ALL SEASON PLUS 235/55-19 About $210 each. Rated #1 by Tire Track.

Any feedback or recommendations from the Wisdom Of The Group?

Tom in Brentwood, CA

paris1 03-13-2016 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Tomonly (Post 157008)
At 22k miles I picked up a long screw and drove to my local America's Tire shop where they fixed the tire. Free with re-balance.
Alas, they measured 4 32" - 5 32" tread depth on all four tires. I keep them aired to 36 psi and rotate at each 6 months.
We are not thrilled with the Toyo A23 tires due to road noise, stiffness of ride, and their almost $300 each replacement cost.
Considering that we have almost 10k miles of a driving trip ahead of us and want to keep the cost of new tires down while getting a set of all season tires that are quieter, smoother in ride and have longer life - we are considering the following tires in the larger size of 235/55-19:

MICHELIN PREMIER A/S 235/55-19 About $230 each. Always happy with Michelin tires over the past 45 years.

PIRELLI SCORPION VERDE ALL SEASON PLUS 235/55-19 About $210 each. Rated #1 by Tire Track.

Any feedback or recommendations from the Wisdom Of The Group?

Tom in Brentwood, CA

I don't see the Continental TrueContact here. It's on every other CX-5 owner's wish list and is always at the top of TireRack's recommended list.

Reggaetrix 03-14-2016 04:23 PM

Has anyone found an A/T tire that fits out 19 rims. Looking for more of a bite on the side walls.

Thanks

Sasha5 03-14-2016 10:30 PM

Had my first svc at the Mazda dealer today. The svc mgr is a former tire guy so he knew a lot. Said the most important spec is the circumference of the tire and that a wider 235 tire may be different. I assumed the main concern was the speedo error but he said no, it can throw off proper function of ABS and traction control. I take it with a grain of salt and would say to compare any possible replacement tire with the stock tires at TireRack.com. the specs are listed when you do a a "compare." Some of the 235 size tires spec out very close in width and circumference to stock 225 size.

Sid777 03-20-2016 10:50 AM

Our 2014 CX5 has the 19 inch wheels. The roads near our home are not the smoothest so for about the first 2 to 3 miles the CX5 ride is horrible every time we get in it. We've added padded seat covers for the front seats which has helped a little but it's still easily the worst riding car I've ever owned. I see in the service manual that some CX5's came with 225/65R 17 tires on 17 inch rims. I'm thinking of switching wheels to help the ride. They're nearly the same diameter as the 225/55R 19 inch wheels that are on the car now.

I'd also consider a softer strut/shock if there's one available but I haven't seen any.

I appreciate the information in the comments on this thread and any more thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

paris1 03-20-2016 11:45 AM

The CX-5 is not the best-riding CUV around in any configuration, but that's the price you pay for a better-handling suspension. Which is what the CX-5 is known for, along with most other Mazdas. The 17" wheels on the lower trim models do arguably ride a bit better. One thing you might try is dropping the pressures from 36 psi to maybe 32#. I run 30# (vs the factor-recommended 34) in my 2013 Touring with 17" wheels because mine is lowered with H&R springs, which makes the ride even more stiff. You might want to try this and see if it makes any appreciable difference.

Jim_Nazium 03-22-2016 02:03 AM

At 25K miles my tread depth is at 3/32. After much research I decided on Continental Truecontacts but when I searched their website for Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring nothing came up. I emailed Continental & they said "We offer a replacement tire in the size, (225/55R19 99 H. Unfortunately; this tire has an H speed rating, (130 mph, and your vehicle requires a V speed rating(149 mph). Although you would never drive at this speed, design and performance expectation are based on a tire constructed to archive a V speed rating." So will the Truecontact tires last? We drive mostly in town & not over 75 on the highway. Usually 55-60 because of traffic. We're looking for quiet tires with a comfortable ride, not race track tires. Should I gamble on Truecontacts or keep looking?

shipo 03-22-2016 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Sid777 (Post 157149)
Our 2014 CX5 has the 19 inch wheels. The roads near our home are not the smoothest so for about the first 2 to 3 miles the CX5 ride is horrible every time we get in it. We've added padded seat covers for the front seats which has helped a little but it's still easily the worst riding car I've ever owned. I see in the service manual that some CX5's came with 225/65R 17 tires on 17 inch rims. I'm thinking of switching wheels to help the ride. They're nearly the same diameter as the 225/55R 19 inch wheels that are on the car now.

I'd also consider a softer strut/shock if there's one available but I haven't seen any.

I appreciate the information in the comments on this thread and any more thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Your best bet would be to drop to 225/65 R17 tires wrapped around new 17" wheels; that said, in exchange for a softer and more compliant ride, you will lose some handling precision.

As a reference:
  • 225/65 R17 Diameter: 28.5
  • 225/55 R19 Diameter: 28.8

shipo 03-22-2016 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by rosario1991 (Post 157182)
Though this is expensive and rare but I support 225/55R19 99V tire.

Why would you make that recommendation? If you look up at the top of this thread the original poster specifically stated he is looking for a softer/more compliant ride to deal with the bumpy roads in his area.

Sid777 03-23-2016 11:56 AM

Ok, So I have the 17 inch rims on order to replace my 19 inch wheels. I've read through all the posts in this thread a couple of times. There's some good information here. I looked at the Continental TrueContact 225/65R 17 tires and am getting a quote for them. I see, however, that they have a "T" speed rating. While I'm quite sure I'll never drive 118 mph, I'm thinking I should probably get a higher speed rating for the CX5. I have put a "T" speed rated tire on an MPV that we had which Mazda recommended an "H" rated tire for. MPV's are kinda slow though so I wasn't too concerned about it.

So, does anybody have an opinion on this tire: Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring - 225/65R17 102H. I like the sounds of the advertised comfortable ride after having been bounced around in the CX5 for the past couple of years. :)

Thanks again for all the good info.

shipo 03-23-2016 12:54 PM

I've had both the Goodyear Assurance and the Continental True Contact tires on one of my vehicles (currently running the Contis); hands down the Continental tires are the best (noise, ride, handing, and snow/wet/dry grip), however, I did manage over 65,000 miles over an 18 month period on the Goodyears, so they do have good tread life characteristics. :)

paris1 03-23-2016 01:40 PM

They do make an H-rated version of the Conti with an LX suffix in the name, but the T-rated Conti gets better ratings on TireRack and a LOT of CX-5 owners are using them as a replacement tire.

madar 03-24-2016 07:17 AM

you might also want to look at the General Altimax RT43, has an H rating and is right up there with the Conti ratings. Bought a set of these over the weekend and they gave the vehicle a whole new personality.

paris1 03-24-2016 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by madar (Post 157235)
you might also want to look at the General Altimax RT43, has an H rating and is right up there with the Conti ratings. Bought a set of these over the weekend and they gave the vehicle a whole new personality.

Good suggestion. In my experience, General tires are often underrated and I know the RT43 gets good marks on TireRack. Can you elaborate on it's good points?

madar 03-24-2016 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by paris1 (Post 157236)
Good suggestion. In my experience, General tires are often underrated and I know the RT43 gets good marks on TireRack. Can you elaborate on it's good points?

I find it to be a quiet, highly responsive (compared to the Toyos) tire. Getting about the same fuel mileage as I've always been getting. Has a very good grip on dry pavement, been able to really take exit and on ramps at a good clip, haven't driven it through rain yet. Tire rack has good ratings for wet, snow, and ice ratings, though I'll be using my snow tires for winter. New tires don't usually impress me, but these have made this car a lot more enjoyable. Originally bought these for my stepdaughter's CX5 a year ago, she notices a better driving experience as well, performing better in wet slippery weather.

Tomonly 03-24-2016 10:11 AM

OK, yesterday I bit the bullet - purchased a set of Michelin Premier LTX tires in the slightly larger 235/55R19 size. At an indicated 60 mph I will be traveling 60.9 mph - an almost insignificant +1.5% difference. America's Tire / Discount Tire spooned them on for $988.92 and I get a $100 VISA card and 6 months 0% interest financing.
Look good and initial 4 mile trip very positive!
Will update after some 1,500 miles next month.
Tom, '14 Grand Touring

paris1 03-24-2016 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by madar (Post 157238)
I find it to be a quiet, highly responsive (compared to the Toyos) tire. Getting about the same fuel mileage as I've always been getting. Has a very good grip on dry pavement, been able to really take exit and on ramps at a good clip, haven't driven it through rain yet. Tire rack has good ratings for wet, snow, and ice ratings, though I'll be using my snow tires for winter. New tires don't usually impress me, but these have made this car a lot more enjoyable. Originally bought these for my stepdaughter's CX5 a year ago, she notices a better driving experience as well, performing better in wet slippery weather.

How's the ride quality?

madar 03-24-2016 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by paris1 (Post 157240)
How's the ride quality?

damn smooth...soaks up minor road variations and still gives you that feeling of good control

Tomonly 03-24-2016 11:57 AM

Oh yes, I forgot. My new Michelin Primacy LTX tires in 235/55R19 size are V rated, and carry a 101V load rating. Their larger width also protects the wheels from curb damage better, also. Lots of tire for the $$$$.
Tom

Tomonly 03-24-2016 12:01 PM

V Rated with 101V rate. Lotsa tire for the $$$

Oh yes, I forgot. My new Michelin Primacy LTX tires in 235/55R19 size are V rated, and carry a 101V load rating. Their larger width also protects the wheels from curb damage better, also. Lots of tire for the $$$$.
Wife and sis-in-law & mom-in-law will report tire impressions this evening when they complete 150+ mile trip to Sacramento.
Tom

Sasha5 04-09-2016 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Tomonly (Post 157244)
Wife and sis-in-law & mom-in-law will report tire impressions this evening when they complete 150+ mile trip to Sacramento.
Tom

Did the wife ever get back from Sacramento? :)

What was her impression of the ride quality of these tires and can you tell if there's been any change in your fuel economy? I've carefully been checking the specs on new tires and even though these are pricey, they appear to be among the best.

Tomonly 04-09-2016 02:38 PM

Sasha5 - Wife was non-responsive. "They were OK." is all she commented.
My initial feeling is the tires seem a bit smoother and quieter than the Toyo A23's. But new tires usually are.
In a few weeks I will have a 1,000 + mile report to post.

Fdew 04-11-2016 09:39 AM

I have had my new Fuzion tires for about a month now. I had a few back road runs on them. I like them. Just as on my last car, I run out of nerve before I can get them to slide. They feel good.

This is my second set. They were recommended to me by a friend who used them on his Audi. I had a set on my Audi Allroad. They are made by Bridgestone and they seem to be an amazing bargain. 4 of them on the car for $508

Size: 235/55R19

DRP 04-13-2016 03:14 AM

Any updates on this? Especially interested about the fuel economy