Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Went to look at the new cx5 diesel

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 01:01 AM
Default Went to look at the new cx5 diesel

Went to look at the new cx5 diesel, The reason we have our current CX9 Signatuure is because VW recalled our 2012 Passat SEL TDI and we used the $ to buy the CX9. DId i say We loved the TDI?, Well maybe the 50+ MPG/800+range. Sadly the TDI was way too low and tended to have its tank ripped open by running over relatively small flat stuff leaving a trail of diesel 10 miles long. Anyway, we loved the mileage and the torque wasn't half bad either. Now when we heard about the CX5 diesel we wanted to test drove one as a possible replacement for the CX-9. Cutting to the chase the CX5 Diesel is big (huge ) disappointment. We already had lost much of interest at seeing its paltry 30 MPG being advertised on the net. Seeing the actual sticker MPG of barely 28 really sank our boat. Not wishing to upset the sales guy we decided we would try a test drive, Sadly the highlight of the drive was the 360 camera system. The non turbo diesel had all the power of our long recycled 76 toyota corrola complete with being unable to get out of the way of other vehicles like logging trucks and smart cars, The air cooled seat actually sucked ( they suck in air not blow it out) . Everything else was a real step down from the CX9. All in all I think Madza has a loser on their hands. If they want a winner how about a CX9 Signature with a High Torque High MPG turbo diesel, 360 camera, Air cooled seats that blow rather than suck in clogging sand and other debris,

Old 09-16-2019, 05:13 AM
Super Moderator

Are you sure it was a diesel version you drove? In the Australia and New Zealand market they come in a 2.2 bi-turbo and have awesome acceleration.

Plus they are rated at 5.7 ltrs / 100kms or 40 MPG.

======================================

Drivetrain All wheel drive (i-ACTIV AWD)
Engine type 2.2 litre in-line 4 cylinder 16 valve DOHC intercooled twin turbo diesel engine with i-stop
Fuel consumption (ADR 81/02) - combined 5.7 l/100km
Fuel tank capacity 58 litres
Kerb weight 1,715kg
Maximum power 140kW @ 4,500rpm
Maximum torque 450Nm @ 2,000rpm
Recommended fuel Diesel
Tow-ball download maximum 150kg2

Towing capacity (braked) 2,000kg2

Transmission type 6-speed SKYACTIV-Drive (automatic)

Last edited by grim_reaper; 09-16-2019 at 05:19 AM.
Old 09-16-2019, 10:15 AM

It was a definitely a 1.8 diesel and displayed all the diesel related feature like the factory sticker, fuel warnings, DEF tank. and old Mercedes 220d sound. . Might add its best feature, the 360 view camera, has a fatal down side. Its poor location and function damn near got us in an accident. It goes off when you need it and the on button is on left hand side near the other controls, Its very hard to see and reach without taking eyes off the road. The smaller display doesn't help either. Should be under your thumb on the wheel. Again the US Federally mandated sticker mpg IS 28. and the price was an astounding 40K!. Understand the 2.2 is available at a whopping $4000 premium but dealer had no info on whether US subjects are allowed to own them due to California mandated Federal regulations. Will stick with our 2016 CX-9 for now.

Old 09-16-2019, 10:28 AM

Ummm, if you're in the United States, the only SkyActiv-D engine Mazda sells is a turbocharged 2.2 liter unit. Not sure where you got your information regarding a 1.8 liter non-turbo engine; it is patently incorrect.

Old 09-16-2019, 10:43 AM

Funny so sticker and performance were all wrong? Called the dealership and they confirmed They have only the one, it is a CX-5 1.8 Diesel and sticker MPG is 28. I asked about the 2.2 and will see if they are available.

Old 09-16-2019, 11:11 AM

Something sound fishy. With a little research, it does not appear that 1.8 diesel is intended to be sold in the US. It appears that it is sold elsewhere in the CX-3 and the Mazda3. I don't doubt that you found one in a dealership, but I wonder if it was supposed to be there. I wonder if it is in the US for some kind of testing, perhaps.

Many years ago, I test drove a car that had paperwork in the glove box that said it was a pre-production vehicle not for sale and the dealer was ready to sell it to me. The options on that vehicle did not match the options listed on the website.

I doubt there will be many takers for the 2.2 diesel CX-5. As you state, the cost is incredibly high and the mileage is only slightly above a gas version. The only thing it had going for it is torque if I recall correctly.

On another note, if you are driving where you are at risk of puncturing the fuel tank, I would certainly look for something with a heck of a lot more ground clearance than any Mazda.

Old 09-16-2019, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by vintovka
Funny so sticker and performance were all wrong? Called the dealership and they confirmed They have only the one, it is a CX-5 1.8 Diesel and sticker MPG is 28. I asked about the 2.2 and will see if they are available.
Yeah, something is very wrong, the CX-3 and CX-30 are both available with the 1.8 liter, which by the way, is a Turbo-Diesel; the only Diesel available in the CX-5 is the 2.2 liter Turbo-Diesel.

Last edited by shipo; 09-16-2019 at 12:43 PM.
Old 09-16-2019, 12:55 PM

Bernie Bishop Mazda in Brookings OR has a red CX-5 Signature Skyactiv-D on the website with a MSRP of $42,640. The website says it has the 2.2 diesel engine with 168 ho and 290 lb-ft of torque. It is listed with 27/30 mpg. If this is the vehicle, there may be a misprint on the window sticker. The picture of the window sticker is too blurry to read from the website.

Old 09-16-2019, 01:01 PM

Here are a few interesting comments from Wikipedia on the issue (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SkyActiv#Skyactiv-D_1.8):

Achieving US EPA emission standards

At the 2019 New York Motor show, Mazda announced that it would commence pre-sales of the 2019 CX-5 with the Skyactiv-D 2.2L engine. To achieve the US EPA emissions standards though has resulted is significant performance and economy penalties in comparison with the Euro 5 compliant engine. The Australian version of the engine is a good comparison with that in the US, with both countries requiring identical diesel quality and using the higher specification of the engine.

The Euro stage V compliant Australian Skyactiv-D 2.2L has the following specifications:
  • Power: 140 kW (190 hp) @ 4,500 rpm
  • Torque: 450 N⋅m (330 lbf⋅ft) @ 2,000 rpm
  • Fuel consumption (Australian ADR 81/02)
    • Combined 5.7 L/100 km (41.3 mpg)
    • City 6.5 L/100 km (36.2 mpg)
    • Highway 5.2 L/100 km (45.2 mpg)

The US EPA compliant US Skyactiv-D 2.2L has the following specifications:
  • Power: 168 hp @ 4,000 rpm
  • Torque: 290 lb-ft @ 2,000 rpm
  • EPA Estimated fuel economy:
    • City 27 mpg
    • Highway 30 mpg

Old 09-16-2019, 06:48 PM

FWIW and only my personal opinion: After the VW diesel scandal and having owned a VW Golf TDI in the past, I now dislike diesel cars and I would recommend to stay away from diesel in general. High maintenance costs if broken and definitely not environmentally friendly at all.

Quick Reply: Went to look at the new cx5 diesel