Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

using different brand tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 03:14 PM

Weird! I see backordered when I type in a California Zip as well!
But thanks for looking!

Old 04-21-2018, 03:44 PM
Old 04-21-2018, 04:07 PM

In your picture, if you look under the picture of the tire, it says "Availability Backorder"
I also see it on the screen before you get to check out or look at your cart.
https://screenshots.firefox.com/x2VO...w.tirerack.com

Old 04-21-2018, 06:00 PM

OOPS! My bad...

Old 04-30-2018, 03:11 AM

Hi All, Though not my first Mazda my new CX5 is my first with AWD. My previous 2 cars were Subarus and had been strongly advised with full time AWD you "must" have the same tire brand, model and with rotation tire depth as possible, is the Mazda fulltime AWD different to the Subarus where mixing tires is OK, below extract is basically my understanding around tires on AWD cars.

The ability of a four-wheel drive and all-wheel drive vehicles to divide the engine's horsepower between its four tires is especially useful on loose or slippery surfaces such as sand and dirt, as well as on wet, icy or snow-covered roads. However it's important to remember that in order to transfer this extra power, the four-wheel drive and all-wheel drive vehicle's driveline mechanically connects the tires so they work in unison.Four-wheel drive and all-wheel drive vehicles are equipped with additional differentials and/or viscous couplings that are designed to allow momentary differences in wheel speeds when the vehicle turns a corner or temporarily spins a tire. However, if the differentials or viscous couplings are forced to operate 100% of the time because of mismatched tires, they will experience excessive heat and unwarranted wear until they fail."Using "matched" tires means all four tires are the same brand, design and tread depth.

Mixing tire brands, tread designs and tread depths may cause components in the vehicle's driveline to fail."This necessitates that four-wheel drive and all-wheel drive vehicles use tires that are very closely matched. This is because different diameter tires roll a different number of times each mile as a result of the variations in their circumferences. Tire diameter variations can be caused by accidentally using different sized tires, tires with different tread designs, tires made by different manufacturers, different inflation pressures or even tires worn to different tread depths.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret....jsp?techid=18

Old 04-30-2018, 04:50 AM
Super Moderator

Mazda's AWD is only part time, it has a electronic clutch on the front of the rear diff housing, 99% of the time it is only FWD, when it senses the front wheels slipping it engages the clutch & enables AWD.

Subaru is a True 100% AWD. They have a very small tolerance of tyre diameter difference, 3% I think, anything more than a few MM difference in tread depth & your running into trouble.

I've seen vast differences in tread depth on AWD CX-5's before without issues.

Old 04-30-2018, 04:53 AM
Super Moderator

"This necessitates that four-wheel drive and all-wheel drive vehicles use tires that are very closely matched. This is because different diameter tires roll a different number of times each mile as a result of the variations in their circumferences."

Old 04-30-2018, 10:20 AM

Thanks for all the input on this! Hopefully someone else will find this info helpful as well.

I lucked out- I called my tireshop to order two Toyo A36 and while he was doing that, he actually found another A23 in someone's warehouse.

Old 05-08-2018, 09:23 PM
Default Reply from Mazda

Finally got a reply from Mazda !

Although it is ideal to have the same tires are fitted on all wheel positions of your vehicle, it is okay to mix brands and tread patterns as long as the same tread patterns and brands are fitted across the same axle.