Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Updating Nav System SD Card

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2022, 03:21 PM

At that price who cares if you need a new card in 3 yrs.I wish I had seen this before I got mine last year.

Old 03-13-2022, 03:25 PM

Its like this thou. Your updates will expire in 3 years from the time you initiate the first card. You can add more cards anytime you want but the expiry for updates remains the same as your first card. 3 year update included per vehicle /not per card.

Old 03-14-2022, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
You buy the card with navigation on it already, just like the factory card at the dealer. Get the toolbox app on your computer for updates
Couple of the big aftermarket distributors of the NAV cards are now saying not to use the toolbox as Mazda is cracking down on aftermarket and your card may become corrupted or unusable

Old 03-14-2022, 06:56 AM

I used the tool box for both cards about six weeks ago. No problem with either. Both registered to my VIN number immediately upon first start of the vehicle and updated. Mazda toolbox gave an expiry for updates for the card on my account of 3 years from installing first card. Second card updated and is interchangeable with the first. Update expiry is the same date for both cards. Up to you. Support your dealer if you wish. They will gladly take your money. Installation is simply put the card in and start the engine and turn on GPS.

Old 03-14-2022, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Zoommer1
I used the tool box for both cards about six weeks ago. No problem with either. Both registered to my VIN number immediately upon first start of the vehicle and updated. Mazda toolbox gave an expiry for updates for the card on my account of 3 years from installing first card. Second card updated and is interchangeable with the first. Update expiry is the same date for both cards. Up to you. Support your dealer if you wish. They will gladly take your money. Installation is simply put the card in and start the engine and turn on GPS.
I think this crackdown is recent. Also it may not be applicable for Canada ( just like wireless CP supposedly only went to Canada and no the USA.. Cheers.

Old 03-14-2022, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Erilflynn
I think this crackdown is recent. Also it may not be applicable for Canada ( just like wireless CP supposedly only went to Canada and no the USA.. Cheers.
I tried to update mine a few days ago. Worked as it always has. No update needed but it still showed the expiration as two years from now. Still working fine in the CX5 as well afterwards.

Last edited by chickdr19; 03-15-2022 at 08:31 AM.
Old 03-14-2022, 01:06 PM

Are you saying you bought a new card after the 3yr period was up and it won't update and sees it as the same as the original card? If this is the case, I won't be worrying about updates after the 3yrs are up.

Last edited by chickdr19; 03-15-2022 at 08:31 AM.
Old 03-17-2022, 03:00 AM

I bought a spare card 2 months after the first one. Installed and updated same as the first one. Either card can be used. Expiry date showing Mazda updater is the same for both cards. Free updates will end 3 years from install of the first card. Card is linked to your vehicle by VIN #. Card will still work but your free updates end a 3yrs.

Old 03-18-2022, 03:32 PM

I bought a spare card 2 months after the first one. Installed and updated same as the first one. Either card can be used. Expiry date showing Mazda updater is the same for both cards. Free updates will end 3 years from install of the first card. Card is linked to your vehicle by VIN #. Card will still work but your free updates end a 3yrs.
I plan to buy another card when my updates end and see what happens(especially if they still 30 bucks...). With your two cards being purchased and used so close together this doesn't prove anything IMHO. I would expect a brand new card to allow updates for 3yrs again. I can't see what it wouldn't.

Old 03-18-2022, 03:43 PM

Good luck with that. I just wanted a spare card in the vehicle in case my card became corrupt. At $30. a no brainer. Serves my purpose. I don't expect I will have the vehicle beyond 3 years anyways.

Quick Reply: Updating Nav System SD Card