Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

TPMS Relearn for a 2021 Mazda CX-5

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2021, 09:23 AM
Default TPMS Relearn for a 2021 Mazda CX-5

Hey folks! Can anyone recommend a TPMS relearning tool to reprogram the computer in my wife's 2021 Mazda CX-5 when I rotate the tires? I've looked at a few on Amazon that say they're universal, but I want to be sure it'll work before I spend the money on one. I would appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks!

Old 05-13-2021, 05:03 AM

No need to relearn. It does it by itself. I have a 2021 and have 2 sets of rims & tires (winter and summer) and just swap them without any TPMS error lights on the dash.

Old 05-13-2021, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by FerrariF1
No need to relearn. It does it by itself. I have a 2021 and have 2 sets of rims & tires (winter and summer) and just swap them without any TPMS error lights on the dash.
You won't get a light, but the car won't know if you have a low pressure condition if it's not reading the TPMS sensors, and it doesn't know to look for them if you don't retrain it with the new/relocated sensors.

Old 05-13-2021, 09:29 AM

It's my understanding that you'll get a TPMS light on the dash if the car can't read any of the TPMS sensors. I never got such lights, so I assumed that they are all readable...

Old 05-13-2021, 10:06 AM

From the owner's manual:
If you or someone else changes tires, you
or someone else can also undertake the
steps for the TPMS to complete the ID
signal code registration.
1. After tires have been changed, switch
the ignition ON, then back to ACC or
OFF.
2. Wait for about 15 minutes.
3. After about 15 minutes, drive the
vehicle at a speed of at least 25 km/h
(16 mph) for 10 minutes and the tire
pressure sensor ID signal code will be
registered automatically.
NOTE
If the vehicle is driven within about 15
minutes of changing tires, the tire pressure
monitoring system warning light will flash
because the sensor ID signal code would
not have been registered. If this happens,
park the vehicle for about 15 minutes,
after which the sensor ID signal code will
register upon driving the vehicle for 10
minutes.

Old 05-13-2021, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by TB250
From the owner's manual:
Thanks Tom. I'm a bit confused, though. My owner's manual says the same thing, but how does that work with push-button start? Is there an ACC setting? (If that sounds like an ignorant question, it's because I'm ignorant regarding the ignition on this car. I've only driven it once and it's got push-button start.)

Also confusing is that just before the section you've quoted, the owner's manual also states " When an Authorized Mazda Dealer changes your vehicle's tires, they will complete the tire pressure sensor ID code registration." Why is that necessary given the procedure that follows?

I will be performing all the maintenance on this vehicle, This is the first Mazda I've had to deal with and all makes have their own quirks. I want to be prepared with the right knowledge and tools when the time comes to do the work so there are no delays. Any experience/information you can share is appreciated.

Old 05-13-2021, 02:29 PM

Old 05-13-2021, 08:00 PM

Ahhh ... well, that makes sense.

Thanks CarpeDiem!

Believe it or not, I have actually started going through the owner's manual. It's just a little overwhelming being about 500 pages or so. I'm used to older cars with owner's manuals that, when they still exist, are about 20 pages of fluid specifications and maintenance schedules and little else. My wife drive the 2021 CX-5, I drive a 1982 Toyota Pickup.

Old 05-19-2021, 12:13 PM

I actually appreciate the 21 Mazda system. Our 2014 had an old style system where you had to press a dash button to set.

I had a 2006 Acura and it gave me real time TPMS readout, which was really kind of nice. The 21 Mazda seems to have a similar system, they just did not go to the expense of real time readout on the dash. But I appreciated being able to change between two sets of wheels and have the TPMS register automatically after driving about 10 minutes. Our other car is a WRX, and I have to use an old ATEQ Quickset every time I change between winter or summer tires, or rotate them. I have to move the sensor IDs to their new positions on the ATEQ and then upload the data through the OBD II port in the car to avoid the flashing TPMS light. I appreciate the more modern system on the Mazda.

Old 05-19-2021, 01:32 PM

It certainly would be nice to have the actually pressure readouts on the dash. I have had a few cars in the past with that feature and it is really convenient

Quick Reply: TPMS Relearn for a 2021 Mazda CX-5