Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test Drive

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 05:17 PM
Default Test Drive

I test drove a GT(no turbo)with premium today. I currently have a Nissan Murano. My wife wants a slightly smaller car. Here are my questions/concerns: I would appreciate any input, thanks

1. Both power seats are noisy when activated. Every car I’ve ever had were very quiet including my current 2016 Murano and 2008 Infiniti.

2. Lag when punching it was very apparent, almost like it would stall out before kicking in.

3. Seats are on the hard side(but supportive)and the fake trim on the center console and side of armrest matching the leather had no padding at all.

4. Bose audio not bad but not great either. I have Bose in both my cars and they seem a little better sounding.

On the other hand most everything else seemed top notch. I especially love the head up display, solid feel over bumps. Although I’d like more power, my wife doesn’t and I thought the base engine is adequate. Much better than the Rouge I test drove A while ago.

Not it sure if I am talking myself into or out of buying this car.

As as a side note, Mazda financing and rebates are being changed tomorrow morning.

Old 06-24-2019, 07:02 PM

not quite sure what to add/comment/or what input you are looking for. However here is my $.02 FWIW:

1.) what does your wife think about the car? Did she testdrive it, and will this be her car with she as primary driver, or is this more a family vehicle with both you and her driving it regularly. My wife and I have totally different tastes in cars (which is why I am asking).
2.) Yes, the power seat motors are a bit loud; definitely louder than the ones in my Acura MDX and my wife's RAV4. After awhile, I think you get used to it (depending on how often you move the seats).
3.) While I have the turbo (Signature trim), I did testdrive a 2016.5 CX-5 back in 2016 (the last of the first generation CX-5) and I was not very impressed with the acceleration of the NA 2.5 in that model; in fact, I thought the CX-3 (which I ended up buying instead) had more zip (or zoom-zoom). When I began looking at a new CX-5 back in February, I mentioned what I thought of the NA 2.5 to a salesman, and he said the improvements made to it for the second gen CX-5 make it much more responsive. Regardless, I still opted for the turbo and am very happy I did.
4.) seats are firm (even on my Signature, yes), however I do find them very comfortable (and supportive) especially on longer trips.
5.) I am very pleased with the interior and feel it is a high-quality construction. By comparison, I did own an Acura MDX and the fake wood trim on that dash was very evident, but the real joke with that car was the plastic inside door handles (Acura did change them to metal in later years).
6.) I enjoy the Bose system in my 2019, and believe it to be a better sound system than the Panasonic ELS in my Acura.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 06-25-2019, 05:52 AM

I was hoping for exactly what you provided, thanks. I just wanted to provide my thoughts and find out if others felt the same way or whether I’m being too picky. As for my wife, none of those things bothered her but she did think the motors were louder than she’d ever heard. I use the memory function every time I get into the car so the motors will get a workout.

Old 06-25-2019, 08:48 PM

I am also looking at the CX-5 for my wife. I drive a Mazda3 with the same engine and I can’t wait for the turbo to be available in the 3. In the CX-5 the non turbo is less than I would want but it seems to be just right for her.

We went to a dealership yesterday knowing the rebates would change today. We were told they expected better rebates today which turned out to be the case. I also think there must be some extra money to the dealer with the great offer I got today.

All vehicles come with compromises. None are perfect. You could probably find as many or more things to complain about in any vehicle. In the Mazda, you will also get an incredible driving experience that never gets old and doesn’t diminishes over time. After 95,000 miles my 3 drives and looks like the day I brought it home.

Weigh the good and bad from the perspective of the primary driver and make the best overall choice.

For me the choice is between Mazda and BMW for the driving dynamics. BMW May be a little better but at twice the purchase price and far more than that in maintenance.

Good of luck and let us know what you decide.

Old 06-26-2019, 12:22 PM

Thanks for your input. Isn’t the CX3 only 148 hp? My wife may actually like to drive it more than the CX5. How did your wife like it?

Old 06-26-2019, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Tom Allison
Thanks for your input. Isn’t the CX3 only 148 hp? My wife may actually like to drive it more than the CX5. How did your wife like it?
I drive a Mazda3 with the 2.5 engine, not the CX-3. The CX-3 is a little too small for her needs.

My wife liked the CX-5. Especially the way it drives, the features for the money and the simplicity of the technology. I am not sure what we will end up with. I think it is down to the CX-5 or the Forester. She has had as many Subarus as I have Mazdas (5 each). The Forester has gotten a little too big at a point where she is looking for something smaller. I am frustrated with the repairs for her 2014 Forester. With 85,000 miles, we have had two wheel bearings, one wheel hub, one Power train Control Module this year. I anticipate that we will need a head gasket if we keep it to 100,000 miles. With 10,000 more miles on my Mazda, I have had almost nothing done beyond regular maintenance (primarily brakes and oil changes).

The day we bought her current Forester, the sales person asked me how I liked the way it drove. I said I hated it. The steering is too soft, the power is too weak, the brakes are too soft and the seats are uncomfortable. I told him we were going to buy it but the answer to the specific question was that I hated it. My opinion has not improved. People that own Subarus love Subarus. I will never understand.

I am hoping she decides to go with the CX-5 so I can enjoy the long family drives and I can stop having to explain the benefits of taking 4 full size adults in the Mazda 3 when all three other people (who don't want to drive) have larger cars.

Old 06-27-2019, 06:23 AM

My bad for the CX3/Mazda3 mis read. I hope your decision works well for you. I’m guessing we’ll end up the same way, although I must admit some worry about the thin paint/ stone chip history. My Murano and a Pathfinder before that yielded maybe a total of 5 stone chips over 6 years and I have a 600 foot stone driveway.

I would like like the turbo also but the money factor is soooo low on the GT without turbo it’s hard to pass up, especially when I won’t be the main driver except on trips.

Last edited by Tom Allison; 06-27-2019 at 02:23 PM.
Old 06-27-2019, 06:54 AM

Before I bought my GTR, back in Feb, I test drove both turbo and non-turbo CX-5's. I was instantly won over by the GTR. I do quite a bit of highway commuting, so it was a no brainer for me.

If the GTR fits your budget, test one out and you'll see what I mean.

Power seat noise is irrelevant to me.
Bose system sounds great to me, but the infotainment boot-up time drives me crazy! Way too slow.
I'm 6'1" and 250lbs. I find the seats perfectly comfortable.

Old 06-27-2019, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Tom Allison
My bad for the CX3/Mazda3 Mississippi read. I hope your decision works well for you. I’m guessing we’ll end up the same way, although I must admit some worry about the thin paint/ stone chip history. My Murano and a Pathfinder before that yielded maybe a total of 5 stone chips over 6 years and I have a 600 foot stone driveway.

I would like like the turbo also but the money factor is soooo low on the GT without turbo it’s hard to pass up, especially when I won’t be the main driver except on trips.
If you are concerned about the paint/stone chip issue, stay away from the red. There is a Change.org petition with 1,300 signatures requesting that Mazda recall the soul crystal red painted vehicles. While it looks great and would otherwise be our first choice. We won't be buying red.

Old 06-27-2019, 02:31 PM

I have to come clean. I would have sworn this wasn’t the case, but my Murano also has the same lag on downshifting that I mentioned I did not like on the CX-5. I guess I just got used to it but trying it yesterday proved otherwise.

Quick Reply: Test Drive