Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacement Key Fob

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2022, 06:16 PM
Default Replacement Key Fob

Hi all. Looking to the wisdom of the group on a key fob question. My son, a high school junior, did something only a high school kid could probably do: he destroyed the key fob for his 2022 CX-5 Signature Turbo by accidentally running it over with a drum set cart. He and some friends were pushing the cart quickly down the hall and the key worked its way out of his shorts and they ran the fob over, crushing it.

Aside from needing to work with him on messaging (he texted that there was an accident but that he was okay, then led into the bizarre story above), I need to find a replacement fob. Is this something I need to get through the dealer to have programmed, etc.? Luckily we have a second fob for now.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 08-11-2022, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by mi_sat
Hi all. Looking to the wisdom of the group on a key fob question. My son, a high school junior, did something only a high school kid could probably do: he destroyed the key fob for his 2022 CX-5 Signature Turbo by accidentally running it over with a drum set cart. He and some friends were pushing the cart quickly down the hall and the key worked its way out of his shorts and they ran the fob over, crushing it.

Aside from needing to work with him on messaging (he texted that there was an accident but that he was okay, then led into the bizarre story above), I need to find a replacement fob. Is this something I need to get through the dealer to have programmed, etc.? Luckily we have a second fob for now.

Thanks in advance for your help.

e-bay has some replacement remotes, check design. I bet dealer would have to program it to your vehicle.
there are some on Amazon as well.

Old 08-12-2022, 01:20 AM

You should have started him with more basic transport perhaps, as he'll likely have more incidents; with old 2nd hand car perhaps.

Old 08-12-2022, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Geluk
You should have started him with more basic transport perhaps, as he'll likely have more incidents; with old 2nd hand car perhaps.
So your position is that an older car would not have had the key fob run over in the same scenario. Fascinating.

Old 08-13-2022, 07:30 AM

Geluk: Great solution to the author's issue

Old 08-14-2022, 12:57 PM

It's his vehicle you and he would be better off (especially if you paid for it) if you let him figure out how/where to replace/reprogram the key FOB by himself.
You can pay for the FOB if you wish (perhaps insurance will cover it) but responsibility is taught by learning not buying/doing things for your kids they are fully capable of doing themselves.
That said they are available at a host of different places at varying prices but do need to be programmed by the dealer.

Old 08-14-2022, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Geluk
We don't know each other's situations. For all we know, all of his friends are driving Porsches and Range Rovers and the poster is teaching that you don't need a $100,000 car in highschool.

My kids drove a new Mazda2, the newest car in the family at the time and it was the best purchase I ever made. I slept better at night knowing the least experienced drivers in the house had the most safety equipment and the most reliable car.

If I bought a new signature CX5 for my kid, I would not bother with ebay and get a replacement from the dealer. I would make the kid pay for it and all repairs that could (should) have been avoided.