Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which do you recommend to clean Soft Touch Dash and Leather seats?
Mild Soap and Water on Everything including Soft Touch Dash
20.00%
303 Aerospace on Everything including Soft Touch Dash
0%
Leather Cleaner and Conditioner on Leather Portion and Mild Soap and Water on Dash
0%
Dry or Damp Feather Duster Swiffer, Canned Air or other Duster
0%
Leather Cleaner and Conditioner on Soft Touch Dash and Seats
20.00%
Custom Dash Cover and/or Seat Covers
0%
My own Secret Sauce - Describe in Comments
60.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Soft Touch Dash & Leather Seats - Mild Soap and Water or Protectant?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2023, 12:05 PM
Default Soft Touch Dash & Leather Seats - Mild Soap and Water or Protectant?

So I get it. The manual says Mild Soap and Water only! (reminds me of Apple, Water and a Microfiber cloth until they OK’d 70% Alcohol for disinfectant).

But I really like prolonging the life of my vehicles with good maintenance.

I see on the internet some have used 303 Aerospace on the soft touch material and even on the leather interior. I had great success with 303 on my Ranger pickup. But I am scared to run the nice interior of my CX-5. As for the leather I understand it is already sealed so leather conditioner doesn’t do anything but shine it up anyway.

What do you recommend to protect the soft touch dash? How about the leather seats? Is 303 a bad idea? How about the standard leather cleaner and conditioner kits?

Old 05-29-2023, 08:10 AM
Default Soft Touch Dash & Leather Seats - Mild Soap and Water or Protectant?

The hot Florida sun is hard on that kind of stuff, so I've been using Aerospace 303 occasionally on the black dashboard and seats for just over two years on my 2021 CX-4 GT with no ill effects. Everything still looks like new. I also used it on the black dashboard and seats in my 2010 Lexes ES-350 which I also bought now--no ill effects. YMMV.

MiltB, Pompano Beach, FL

Old 05-29-2023, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by miltbaker
The hot Florida sun is hard on that kind of stuff, so I've been using Aerospace 303 occasionally on the black dashboard and seats for just over two years on my 2021 CX-4 GT with no ill effects. Everything still looks like new. I also used it on the black dashboard and seats in my 2010 Lexes ES-350 which I also bought now--no ill effects. YMMV.

MiltB, Pompano Beach, FL
Thanks for the first-hand report on 303. I appreciate it.

Old 05-29-2023, 09:29 AM

You're welcome . . . hope it works well for you. BTW, I meant to say CX-5, not CX-4!

MiltB

Old 05-31-2023, 11:32 AM
BWJ

It's strange that you can't choose baby wipes, I use them for leather seats and other interiors
Very gentle and without paraffin and other chemicals

Old 05-31-2023, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by tekfranz
Thanks for the first-hand report on 303. I appreciate it.
Had a mid-90s Mazda Miata for some years, awhile back. Used 303 Aerospace Protectant exclusively on the dash and door panels, console bit, shifter. Probably weekly. Had a lot of bright sunlight with harsh UV during those years. While the driver's seat had the normal and customary wear one might expect from the better part of a decade's daily use and 150Kmi, the interior still looked new. No ill effects.

I'm about 2.5yrs into my CX-5, though it had a prior owner. Still using 303, though not weekly. (Have great tinting on the windows, which helps.)

Unless Mazda's changed its dash/interior formulation, I know of no reason why fairly regular application of a light amount of 303 for dusting and cleaning would harm the surfaces. (Lexol or other suitable product for the leathers, of course.)

Old 06-01-2023, 08:36 AM

I live in Alabama so it gets hot here in the Summer. I always use a sunshade reflector to protect my dash and keep the temps down somewhat from May through October. I use Zaino leather cleaner and protector on my seats and arm rests. I just use a damp cloth to wipe the dash and non leather surfaces, no soap. My 2018 CX-5 looks almost as good as the day I bought it. I owned a 2008 M3 for nearly 10 years and maintained it the same way. Only visible wear on it was the leather driver’s seat had some creases and a little wear. My cars are always in my garage too when not on the road.

Old 07-28-2023, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by dlgunter
I live in Alabama so it gets hot here in the Summer. I always use a sunshade reflector to protect my dash and keep the temps down somewhat from May through October. I use Zaino leather cleaner and protector on my seats and arm rests. I just use a damp cloth to wipe the dash and non leather surfaces, no soap. My 2018 CX-5 looks almost as good as the day I bought it. I owned a 2008 M3 for nearly 10 years and maintained it the same way. Only visible wear on it was the leather driver’s seat had some creases and a little wear. My cars are always in my garage too when not on the road.
Yep just got the weathertech sunshade. Mainly because the interior was getting a little creaky until it cooled down after being 150 degrees inside all day.

On the Leather I just used AeroCosmetics Leather Care Cleaner and Conditioner.. it made the interior look great. They have you wipe everything with a damp rag like it’s a pair of shoes with saddle soap but I think the brush and damp rag might just be for heavyily soiled leather or to even iit out or dull the sheen. AeroCosmetics Leather Care is a great product and super gentle. Also it made all the interior Vinyl look shiny and nice as well.

I totally get the 303 on everything idea now though, even leather. The leather really is well sealed and not rawhide or something that can soak up a lot of conditioner.. Still I wanted something labelled for leather to be safe.
Going to try Ethos for our vinyl vehicles.

Old 07-29-2023, 03:39 AM
Super Moderator

I just use a damp chamois.

Old 07-31-2023, 09:19 AM

I believe that the less chemicals used, the better. I have a new 2023 CX-5, PP trim in that you can't miss it Red Soul Metallic paint. I do have one of those car interior dusters and a set of microfiber towels, 16 x 16, and those with a bit of dampness have worked for me in the past and I have no reason to believe they will not work in the future. I may not use the duster so much as the material on the dash does provide resistance given its' texture. I enjoy keeping my automobile clean, inside and out. She also rides very nicely, and with just over 500 miles, I would expect she would.

Last edited by erscolo; 08-01-2023 at 02:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Soft Touch Dash & Leather Seats - Mild Soap and Water or Protectant?