Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Should I get Turbo or Non Turbo?

Old 02-09-2022, 05:54 PM
Default Should I get Turbo or Non Turbo?

I've decided to buy a 2022 CX5. I've done extensive reading through different forums on the pros and cons of Turbo vs non Turbo. Now it comes to only one aspect - RELIABILITY. I'm aware of the cylinder head crack issue with 2.5 NA and oil/coolant issue with 2.5 Turbos. There's no clear info on whether these issues would appear in 2022 models or not. So, what's your suggestion? Should I go for Turbo or Non Turbo - just from a reliability standpoint alone?

Old 02-09-2022, 07:33 PM

If you are focused mostly on reliability and performance is not important to you, get non-turbo. I think the primary reason to get the turbo is for more engine power / torque and you dont mind the small fuel hit.
#MyOpinion

Old 02-09-2022, 10:38 PM

How do you drive a car? Some find the turbo hard to resist putting their foot in it.
Those extra 60 or so HP is hard to resist.
Drive it hard to much and you pay the price. Mine is getting close to 20,000 miles but
I've yet to get it up over 4000 rpm. Usually doesn't get over 3000 rpm. I don't see the need.
I get good acceleration so no need for more.
the problems you mentioned are not common.

My 2¢

Old 02-10-2022, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by pilozm
If you are focused mostly on reliability and performance is not important to you, get non-turbo. I think the primary reason to get the turbo is for more engine power / torque and you dont mind the small fuel hit.
#MyOpinion
Thanks. So I don't mind losing performance.

Old 02-10-2022, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by Dennis Wendt
How do you drive a car? Some find the turbo hard to resist putting their foot in it.
Those extra 60 or so HP is hard to resist.
Drive it hard to much and you pay the price. Mine is getting close to 20,000 miles but
I've yet to get it up over 4000 rpm. Usually doesn't get over 3000 rpm. I don't see the need.
I get good acceleration so no need for more.
the problems you mentioned are not common.

My 2¢
Thanks. I'm not a heavy footer. Again, at this point, only reliability matters. I don't want to end up going to the dealer often to fix problems.

Old 02-10-2022, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by smmaz
Thanks. I'm not a heavy footer. Again, at this point, only reliability matters. I don't want to end up going to the dealer often to fix problems.
I have the turbo and I'm not a heavy footer. I do make trips to mountainous areas a look forward to taking advantage of the turbo at altitude. I appreciate the turbo when passing slower cars, the extra power helps me get around and back in my lane. I don't anticipate reliability problems, since I don't get carried away with the extra power.

Old 02-10-2022, 10:10 AM

They are both reliable engines and have enough power for normal daily driving and the average person. They both will always have their set of concerns as they get older or higher miles. But this is basically with any platform.
The Non turbo naturally will run less expensive than a turbo model in any platform. The N/A will get as a rule slightly better MPG (not always). As for 0-60 mph this is funny but 1/8 mile side by side the 2 model are close to the same so really do you DRAG RACE on the street and need to blow the doors off the guy next to you from streetlight to streetlight? LOL . And as for entering highways I know very few people that WOT to merge. LOL Well unless you all are teenagers? LOL

I often travel from Sacramento to RENO over the Sierra Mountains and on Cruze control never have a problem keeping pace with any Turbocharged platform in my NA MAZDA. And there is always plenty of power left if needed.

The price to me would be the breaker. I don't need to pay extra for a Turbo engine for me personally because I can easily upgrade parts and such on a NA Mazda that will equal the factory claimed power with 1/10 less the cost of buying a Turbocharged model. But that's me.

Old 02-10-2022, 10:11 AM

I came from a long line of Miatas to a NA CX-5. Still sporty enough for a small SUV without the turbo IMHO. The only way to be sure for you though is to test drive both and then decide.

Old 02-10-2022, 10:52 AM

Thank you all for your suggestions. I understand the pros and cons of Turbo vs Non-Turbo. Personally I like the Turbo because it's quieter and smoother, but I'm leaning towards Non Turbo because I have to fill gas less often (wish cx5 had a larger tank). But reading the posts on the oil/coolant leaks in the Turbo and the cracked cylinder head issue with Non Turbo, made me wonder which one is a better choice in terms of problems. I really don't want to deal with serious problems even if the dealers would eventually fix them.

Old 02-10-2022, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by smmaz
Thank you all for your suggestions. I understand the pros and cons of Turbo vs Non-Turbo. Personally I like the Turbo because it's quieter and smoother, but I'm leaning towards Non Turbo because I have to fill gas less often (wish cx5 had a larger tank). But reading the posts on the oil/coolant leaks in the Turbo and the cracked cylinder head issue with Non Turbo, made me wonder which one is a better choice in terms of problems. I really don't want to deal with serious problems even if the dealers would eventually fix them.
Issues with either motor are uncommon. These are very reliable engines. Of course you could get a bad one, but this goes for any manufacturer. I highly recommend you drive both to see which fits your needs. I have had a '19 NA and now a '21 Turbo. Both are excellent cars.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Should I get Turbo or Non Turbo?