Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SD Nav Card

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2021, 07:35 AM
Default SD Nav Card

I just bought a 2018 CX-5 Grand Touring. I wanted to update my maps and saw "new" SD nav cards for around $40. Mazda wants $399. As I already have the original SD card, is there a way to update my original card, like through the Mazda tool box? Or, do I need a new "updated" card?

Old 03-24-2021, 08:16 AM

All the info that I'm about to share with you is available in your owner's manual.

Do you have a computer that has a SD card reader/writer installed?

If yes then go here, Mazda Connect (mazdahandsfree.com)

Enter your vehicle's info and then click on the Navigation button near the top of the screen. Then under Update My Maps, near the bottom of the screen, click on Learn More.

Follow the instructions, including downloading and installing the Mazda Toolbox. You have to use the Toolbox to update the SD card. You should have three years from the time of purchase to update the maps on the card.

Since your CX is a 2018 and if appears that you're not the original owner, the three year period may have expired. The Toolbox will tell you all of this once it examines your SD card. If the three year period hasn't expired you should be able to update the card, unless the previous owner used up the updates.

Last edited by Conrad 16.5; 03-24-2021 at 08:19 AM.
Old 03-24-2021, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Conrad 16.5
All the info that I'm about to share with you is available in your owner's manual.

Do you have a computer that has a SD card reader/writer installed?

If yes then go here, Mazda Connect (mazdahandsfree.com)

Enter your vehicle's info and then click on the Navigation button near the top of the screen. Then under Update My Maps, near the bottom of the screen, click on Learn More.

Follow the instructions, including downloading and installing the Mazda Toolbox. You have to use the Toolbox to update the SD card. You should have three years from the time of purchase to update the maps on the card.

Since your CX is a 2018 and if appears that you're not the original owner, the three year period may have expired. The Toolbox will tell you all of this once it examines your SD card. If the three year period hasn't expired you should be able to update the card, unless the previous owner used up the updates.
Thanks so much. I just read that if my three years has expired I can buy a new subscription and don't need a new SD card. Thanks for replying.

Old 06-17-2021, 12:45 PM

Related question for a CX9 2018 Touring... In February this year the Nav system went into an endless reboot. Took it to the dealer to troubleshoot, but they were unable to diagnose and sold us a "new" SD card. Service and SD card cost over $500 ($26.99 labor/$479.99 SD Card). We noted that in February 2021 there was a map update available via Toolbox and attempted to update the SD card and were notified that the update period was expired. Needless to say we are upset. Two calls to the dealer have gone unanswered. (Alden in Fairhaven MA). We do not understand why were were sold an SD card in Feb 21 that is expired. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Old 06-18-2021, 07:40 AM

WOW!!! They really took advantage of you and I'd be extremely pissed too. The SD card was a rip off and it took them 30 seconds labor and hit you up for $27 Never buy anything from a dealer without researching it first.

Old 06-18-2021, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Kimotee
Related question for a CX9 2018 Touring... In February this year the Nav system went into an endless reboot. Took it to the dealer to troubleshoot, but they were unable to diagnose and sold us a "new" SD card. Service and SD card cost over $500 ($26.99 labor/$479.99 SD Card). We noted that in February 2021 there was a map update available via Toolbox and attempted to update the SD card and were notified that the update period was expired. Needless to say we are upset. Two calls to the dealer have gone unanswered. (Alden in Fairhaven MA). We do not understand why were were sold an SD card in Feb 21 that is expired. Has anyone else had a similar experience?
I'm sorry to say but you were ripped off! Did they at least give you a kiss after screwing you so well?

Then to top off this they sold you a used/expired card?

Take your information and speak with the service manager at this dealership. Be patient and courteous but be insistent. There NO WAY that the Nav card should have costed as much as it did! The labor is questionable too. Did you buy your car from this dealership?

Old 06-18-2021, 10:34 AM

Conrad

Bought the car from this dealership. Except for this instance, we've always been pleased by the service we've received. Disappointed by this experience. But, did exactly as you suggested. Researched the cost with other area dealers and online, finding that typical dealer charges ranged from $308-399, with current price of $322 on MazdaParts authorized site. After this, I visited the dealership in person instead of attempting to do business by phone. I negotiated a refund from Alden Mazda for the difference of the charge and the current MazdaParts price. It took some time and patience, but to be fair, the parts guy is relatively new, not a techie, didn't realize that there was a subscription required, and didn't know how to update the maps using the Toolbox app. through the dealer portal.

We are still of the opinion that this is a serious overcharge by Mazda. We have a similar sat-link, sophisticated Garmin electronics system on our boat that integrates navigation, radar, and engine monitoring, and Garmin charges less than $40 for a new SD card. There is no charge for updates via Bluetooth (if capable), and there is no subscription requirement.

We do find the Mazda nav system superior to the phone based system in the same year GM truck. Since phone based systems are dependent on cell service, I often find it blanks out when I need it the most in those areas where cell service is not available.

Thank you for your response

Old 06-19-2021, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Kimotee
Conrad

Bought the car from this dealership. Except for this instance, we've always been pleased by the service we've received. Disappointed by this experience. But, did exactly as you suggested. Researched the cost with other area dealers and online, finding that typical dealer charges ranged from $308-399, with current price of $322 on MazdaParts authorized site. After this, I visited the dealership in person instead of attempting to do business by phone. I negotiated a refund from Alden Mazda for the difference of the charge and the current MazdaParts price. It took some time and patience, but to be fair, the parts guy is relatively new, not a techie, didn't realize that there was a subscription required, and didn't know how to update the maps using the Toolbox app. through the dealer portal.

We are still of the opinion that this is a serious overcharge by Mazda. We have a similar sat-link, sophisticated Garmin electronics system on our boat that integrates navigation, radar, and engine monitoring, and Garmin charges less than $40 for a new SD card. There is no charge for updates via Bluetooth (if capable), and there is no subscription requirement.

We do find the Mazda nav system superior to the phone based system in the same year GM truck. Since phone based systems are dependent on cell service, I often find it blanks out when I need it the most in those areas where cell service is not available.

Thank you for your response
I'm glad to hear that you got this resolved in your favor, more or less.

Yeah, the price that Mazda charges for their nav card is outrageous! My CX-5 came with the card but I bought one for my MX from Amazon, $80 at the time. Worked perfectly, just like the card in the CX.

Old 10-25-2021, 07:40 PM

I bought the NavKing SD card for our 2021 CX5 GTR, and when I put it in the Nav slot, the Nav system fired up and has been working faultlessly for the last year. Be sure that the card you get is the BHP1 66 EZ1K. Other card may not work.

Good luck all.

Old 10-27-2021, 11:00 AM

bought a new CX-5 GTR two weeks ago and installed 'B08R3Z71NW' card.

Small plastic box says: TD2K66EZ1 2021 Mazda CX-...1 FITS 2021 CX5 2021 CX9 NEW

Works so far (72 hours)

Quick Reply: SD Nav Card