Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Sat Nav Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2020, 01:10 PM
Default Sat Nav Upgrade

Hello again

my Mazda has got the option of sat nav on the radio but when you press it nothing happens. I’m sure this means it was never installed

does anyone know how I can get it installed and how much it would be? It is. 13 plate

Old 10-20-2020, 06:14 PM

Not sure what a 13 plate is. If it is the current generation, you can buy the SD card for navigation from Amazon for around 50.00 and have full Mazda navigation. Not sure about the older Mazdas.

Old 11-05-2020, 03:34 PM

I bought the SD card from Amazon for my 2021 GTR and the system did not recognize it at all. So I returned the card to Amazon. I understand that this card does work for the 2020s and earlier. It is a simple thing to activate (when it is recognized). Just insert the SD card in the slot in the center console and follow instructions. Should work fine for you car.

Old 11-21-2020, 10:26 PM
Default Nav screen 2016 GT

I think you must drive the vehicle for 65 miles. I am working on that..The nav screen comes up in my 2016 GT but says I don't have Nav installed.Yet it shows latitude, longitute, and feet above sea level..I'm going to try a 65ish mile drive and see what happens..if nothing happens I can ship it back.

Last edited by joecader; 11-21-2020 at 10:30 PM. Reason: added info
Old 11-22-2020, 02:18 AM
Super Moderator

Joecader, that is the default display when there is no SD inserted. All Mazda's with MZD connect (like yours) are equipped from factory with everything pre-installed for satnav, except the SD card. All you require is a genuine SD card for your region.

Old 11-22-2020, 07:39 AM

That's strange. The SD card that I took out was a generic micro-SD with an adapter.

Old 11-22-2020, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by joecader
I think you must drive the vehicle for 65 miles. I am working on that..The nav screen comes up in my 2016 GT but says I don't have Nav installed.Yet it shows latitude, longitute, and feet above sea level..I'm going to try a 65ish mile drive and see what happens..if nothing happens I can ship it back.

That's strange. The SD card that I took out was a generic micro-SD with an adapter.
You're not being very clear Joe...

From what I can determine you took a generic blank micro-SD card with an adapter and inserted that into the SD card slot of your CX and expected the Nav system to work after you've driven 65 miles? Is that right?

Dude! You have to buy a Nav card that contains the software required to operate the system. Duh! Did you think that it was free?

You'll have to either spend the ridiculous amount of money that Mazda charges for the Nav card ($350 - $400) or pick one up from Amazon or E-bay (~$50).

If you have a working NAV SD card the system will be operational immediately after you insert the card. The 65 miles that you referenced above is concerning the mating of the card to your system. After driving the required millage (63 miles actually) the card is mated and locked to your system and once it's mated, you can remove the SD card, insert it into your computer, and use Mazda Toolbox to update the card to the newest version of the NAV software. Be sure to do any removal and insertion of the card into your CX while the car is turned off.

You can download the Mazda Toolbox here, Mazda Connect (mazdahandsfree.com)

Last edited by Conrad 16.5; 11-22-2020 at 09:32 AM.
Old 11-22-2020, 09:59 AM

The old one was a generic no label worked great just too many roads whose location changed with the construction in the area... i picked up the $49 one off Amazon. Trying to get that one to work. *fingers crossed*

Old 11-22-2020, 11:17 AM

The old one was a generic no label worked great just too many roads whose location changed with the construction in the area... i picked up the $49 one off Amazon. Trying to get that one to work. *fingers crossed*
FYI. I too ordered a NAV card from Amazon ($80 at that time) The first card that I received did not work. When I inserted the card into the card slot and started the car, it didn't recognize that a card was there. No matter what I did, it didn't work. I contacted the seller on Amazon and he sent me another card, that one worked perfectly.

Old 11-22-2020, 02:22 PM

Conrad,

What year is your CX-5? Because I had the same issue...the car did not recognize the Nav SD card I bought from Amazon. I think that there might be some changes from the 2020s and prior, to the 2021 which I have which meant my car needs a newer version of the software.

So I'll wait a bit and see if there is a newer version that will work.

Thanks for your comments

Quick Reply: Sat Nav Upgrade