Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sap removal from vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2021, 07:02 PM
Default Sap removal from vehicle

So I have a lot of pine sap just below the rear window on tailgate. Can’t tell if that’s plastic or metal…I suspect plastics. At any rate how can I remove the sap without dulling the paint?

thanks,
teri

Old 08-19-2021, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Teride
So I have a lot of pine sap just below the rear window on tailgate. Can’t tell if that’s plastic or metal…I suspect plastics. At any rate how can I remove the sap without dulling the paint?thanks,
teri
When I get sap I will wash with a higher concentration of wash w/wax car wash soap. I use Protectant #321 Wash & Wax-it .

Old 08-19-2021, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Callisto
When I get sap I will wash with a higher concentration of wash w/wax car wash soap. I use Protectant #321 Wash & Wax-it .
Hi—thanks for the response…I think I might need something stronger as I didn’t see the sap right away…I got some off with hot water / soap but some is pretty sun baked on. Would GooGone or IPA something that would work?

Old 08-19-2021, 11:37 AM

Rain-X will remove sap.

Old 08-20-2021, 08:30 AM
Default Try this

Originally Posted by Teride
Hi—thanks for the response…I think I might need something stronger as I didn’t see the sap right away…I got some off with hot water / soap but some is pretty sun baked on. Would GooGone or IPA something that would work?

The quick way to remove it is denatured alcohol but be careful. Not sure what the paint is on the Mazda so I would try a small hidden spot first to make sure it doesn't take any paint or clear coat off.. Use a micro fiber cloth and don't rub it hard. Wash and wax as soon as you're done.I've been using it for years, but that has been on GM's and Kia's. As I said, be careful and good luck.

Old 08-23-2021, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckery
The quick way to remove it is denatured alcohol but be careful. Not sure what the paint is on the Mazda so I would try a small hidden spot first to make sure it doesn't take any paint or clear coat off.. Use a micro fiber cloth and don't rub it hard. Wash and wax as soon as you're done.I've been using it for years, but that has been on GM's and Kia's. As I said, be careful and good luck.
thank you!

Old 08-25-2021, 09:25 PM

You could try a clay bar

Old 08-26-2021, 09:53 AM

WD-40 works great on tar and sap.

Old 08-31-2021, 05:06 PM

I actually used IPA alcohol wipes and worked great!!

Old 09-01-2021, 11:10 PM

I always use detailing spray and a mcirofiber cloth. sometimes takes some rubbing but it usually comes off.

Quick Reply: Sap removal from vehicle