Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running boards

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2023, 08:59 AM
Default Running boards

Has anyone installed running boards on their CX-5.
If so, was it difficult and how does it look.

Old 04-23-2023, 10:39 AM

Welcome to the forum

Old 04-23-2023, 10:52 AM
Default Why

Originally Posted by vmaxie
Has anyone installed running boards on their CX-5.
If so, was it difficult and how does it look.
Why would you want or need running boards on a CX5 ? It would look very odd at best ,and serve no purpose . The only possible purpose I can even think of is to prevent door dings in parking lots.

Old 04-23-2023, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by THE CHIEF
Why would you want or need running boards on a CX5 ? It would look very odd at best ,and serve no purpose . The only possible purpose I can even think of is to prevent door dings in parking lots.
For elderly or disabled folks to easily get in/out is one reason. However the nice looking running boards(on Amazon from China) are too thin to be functional plus limit the ground clearance and flex under weight.(the weight ratings are inaccurate)

The functional wide running boards from Romex aren't as aesthetically pleasing, and also really limit your ground clearance. They are sturdy though(my friend has a set) and functional(wide) for the purpose of providing a step-up.

I returned a set of the flimsy china ones, and decided against installing Romex boards due to the looks and ground clearance.

OP should get Romex if they need functional boards.

Last edited by kilroy22; 04-23-2023 at 11:11 AM.
Old 04-23-2023, 11:42 AM
Default Can't see it helping much

The CX5 entrance height is very low. Now if the door opening were higher on the CX5 that would aid getting in far better for old or semi handicapped people. As it is ,all you need to easily get in if your old or semi handicapped is to enter butt first and sit in and spin your legs around . I have occasion to transport in my 2023 CX5 an old (89 year old ) friend of mine from time to time to doctor visits , and that's how he does it.

Old 04-23-2023, 12:08 PM

Some choices here. Not cheap, and they have had a heavy duty (weight limit) models but
not for the Mazdas.

https://realtruck.com/c/exterior-acc...zda/cx-5/2020/

Old 04-23-2023, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by THE CHIEF
The CX5 entrance height is very low. Now if the door opening were higher on the CX5 that would aid getting in far better for old or semi handicapped people. As it is ,all you need to easily get in if your old or semi handicapped is to enter butt first and sit in and spin your legs around . I have occasion to transport in my 2023 CX5 an old (89 year old ) friend of mine from time to time to doctor visits , and that's how he does it.
Elderly ladies with shorter legs do have trouble getting their buttocks up on the seat. I've opted for small plastic step stool firmly planted on ground. It provides a wide stable base...but has to be on flat pavement/ gravel. The CX-5 is too low to be a for an off-roader yet too high for easy access for some people.

Old 04-24-2023, 10:25 AM

Welcome to the forum.
I have not installed running boards on the CX-5 so I can't answer your install question.
Looks is very subjective can differ immensely between people.
Personally, having had running boards on past vehicles, I found them to be lower body rust agitators.
However, I live in an area where a lot of road salt is used in the winter, something you likely won't have any issue with, in Florida.

Last edited by Lobstah; 04-24-2023 at 11:15 AM.
Old 04-24-2023, 11:01 AM

Why is it when someone wants to do a mod and asked a question that some people interject with their opinion not to do it because it looks bad?

When I entered Car shows in the past I would stand behind people looking at my car and listen to them criticize some of the mods I did thinking to myself.... well first they don't have anything to compare to what I was showing (indoor car show with strict requirements for entries), could even begin to do most any of the mods themselves, and basically not thinking about the if the guy standing behind them was the owner/builder. LOL

Running boards can be a KOOL addition for looks and function if one has the tase for them. I would say pick the ones out that best suit your needs and go for it!

If you do I hope you post some pictures.

Old 04-26-2023, 03:11 AM

The CX-5 is my wife's car.
She has some health issues and getting into the car has become a chore.
Having the running boards (which will help her greatly) installed next week.
Will post some pictures when complete.

Quick Reply: Running boards