Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear bumper reflector falling out

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 06:38 AM
Angry rear bumper reflector falling out

I bought a new Mazda CX5 in December 2016 having driven my old one for 80,000 miles. After a few months the left rear reflector in the bumper became detached on one side and fell into the bumper. I asked my Dealer to look at it when it went for its annual service and they said it had been bumped and the clip broken. I inspected both the reflector glass and the surrounding bumper but could see no evidence of damage. They were quite adamant that it had been damage and that I could pay for it to be replaced but it would require a whole new rear bumper. They offer to try to glue it back in place and charges me £50 to do it!!

Has anyone one else had problems with there reflectors on a CX5 as I suspect there is a problem with the clips.

Needless to say the reflector has now fallen back into the bumper.

Old 02-21-2020, 09:55 PM

My new cx5 @ 1 week had same problem ;came adrift on one end; same response ; new complete bumper!!!
I told them where to put their new bumper,Went home looked & on rear wheel well is a 120mm square access
panel to get to (I think the rear radar unit) which is attached to the reflector. I could see the cheap chatty plastic
bracket which is welded (not) to the bumper, & to which the reflector attaches. I cut a piece of foam plastic approx
200mm cube & wedged it behind the reflector & holds it in it's proper place. Easy to do ; best to remove rear wheel
to gain easy access.

Old 09-30-2020, 05:56 PM

I fixed mine today. Removed the tire and panel as described by Sandra above - by lifting on either side of the 2 plastic rivets with a small screwdriver. I used a 4 inch steel "L" corner bracket to hold the reflector in place. I poked 2 holes in bottom plastic for screws, drilled the holes and bolted the bracket up tight against the reflector.