Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Question Regarding Surface Scratches

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 10:14 PM
Default Question Regarding Surface Scratches

Hi everyone. I am inquiring about a 2018 cx5 in deep crystal blue mica. I have a few scuff marks that i noticed on the rear bumper of my vehicle right below where the hatch closes and wanted to get some feedback in terms of what my best option is to try and repair/mask them. Attached are some pics. I dont believe the scratches are too deep. Are there any third party scratch removers worth looking into or maybe something mazda can do/provide? Hoping someone has run into a similar situation. You can see in the image theres a line that runs across and then some towards the edge. Likely my childs stroller but cant say for sure.

Old 10-31-2018, 07:35 AM

There is a chrome rear bumper strip option that can be added - but not sure it will cover the area of your scratches.

Old 10-31-2018, 10:07 AM

thanks. does anyone know if there is a rubber or dark coloured one (maybe have to go 3rd party?). i think the chrome one stands out a bit too much and its quite expensive.

Old 10-31-2018, 10:41 AM

You can also have a clear protective paint film applied which covers that area. Available either as an accessory item from Mazda or (cheaper) from a window tint shop. as for removing the scratches, I've had pretty good luck with Meguiar's ScratchX 2.0 (
Amazon Amazon
) if the scratches are superficial. It won't perform miracles though. Good luck (and be more careful with that stroller!).

Old 10-31-2018, 02:24 PM

It is complete;y hard to tell in the pictures but it may only be in the clear coat of your paint. If that is the case you want to use only a POLISH to remove the scratches. You can try to apply and rub the polish but I think your are going to need a little more horsepower to get them out. This mean a variable speed drill and a poling attachment. You must be very care not to burn the paint by applying to much concentrated polishing.
I would recomend that you go to a detail shop and just have them do it. From the pictures my guess is about an hour work so about 100 bucks?

If you want to try it yourself just respond and I will give the suggested materials/tools needed for DIY at your own risk polishing..

Old 10-31-2018, 02:35 PM

thanks for the feedback everyone. i think i am going to go with this 3rd party bumper cover that will conceal the damage and prevent future issues as well. i've confirmed with the seller that this does not interfere with the power lift-gate and is also compatible with the 2018 model. This also covers the bumper lip for extra security.

Amazon Amazon

Old 11-17-2018, 01:24 PM

Mine is much worse than that because my dog keeps scratching it, I got the bumper repainted once and figured installing a bumper protector would be the best day to deal with this.

Old 11-21-2018, 06:36 AM

You can easily buff these out with a random orbital polisher and a light rubbing compound - thereafter I'd treat it and the entire car with ceramic coating, especially a dark color like that. I had a Jaguar XF before my CX-5 and it was dark grey, got many scratches, did some paint correction with the buffer and clay bar, ceramic coated it and it looked brand new again - also, the ceramic coating protected the paint from further light scratching and dirt.