Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help...

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2022, 03:38 AM
Exclamation Please help...

I have a 2014 Cx-5 bought 2nd hand last year with full service history.

The oil pressure light came on and check engine last week so did all manual checks which were fine and light came back on so took it to our local garage who found the wrong oil had been used and we needed a new pump so they did an engine flush and replaced pump etc. All lights disappeared.

The next day the tpms and scbs lights came on.. I checked tyre pressure which is fine, cleaned areas where scbs sensors are and lights are still coming so took back to garage and they can't seem to find a fault.

I will need to take to mazda but just wondering if anyone else has come across these issues?

Just a note I'm not car savvy at all 🙈

Old 02-05-2022, 08:12 AM

Most likely a sensor issue though probably not a bad sensor.
Not sure what your climate is like where you live but here in Maine/USA temps, snow and ice can cause temporary issues.
Have had none on my CX-5 yet but it is kept the garage, which not heated I might add.
My Honda Accord which I kept outside had those issues in below freezing temps.
It would resolve itself when the temps warmed up or if I took it to the car wash and sprayed the wheels down with hot water.
Naturally if it is too cold that won't work and will cause more icing.

Old 02-05-2022, 11:31 AM

Tire pressure sensors only last about 7-8 years.
Some vehicles, my GMC Terrain was one, indicated which wheel was low, not
so with Mazdas.
There is a 're-set' procedure for some vehicles don't know if Mazda has that.

MY 2¢

Old 02-05-2022, 05:55 PM

I mentioned the temps because both her TPMS & SCBS lights were on.
My experience with both being on was during snow/ice wheel buildup and freezing temps.
The Mazda TPMS reset button is located on the dash near the steering wheel.
There is also a reset procedure without using the button.
Information on both the TPMS & SCBS can be found in the owner's manual, online or You-Tube videos.
The SCBS likely needs the sensors cleaned (mud/rain/snow) can block them.
They are located outside the vehicle with one in upper center of the windshield/windscreen and another behind the front Mazda badge.
The SCBS can also be shut-off by scrolling the menu.

Old 02-05-2022, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Lobstah
I mentioned the temps because both her TPMS & SCBS lights were on.
My experience with both being on was during snow/ice wheel buildup and freezing temps.
The Mazda TPMS reset button is located on the dash near the steering wheel.
There is also a reset procedure without using the button.
Information on both the TPMS & SCBS can be found in the owner's manual, online or You-Tube videos.
The SCBS likely needs the sensors cleaned (mud/rain/snow) can block them.
They are located outside the vehicle with one in upper center of the windshield/windscreen and another behind the front Mazda badge.
The SCBS can also be shut-off by scrolling the menu.
The 2014 has a different setup for the TPMS than the newer CX5's. I'm not sure when it switched, but I think it was around 2016. The older system measures the rotation of the wheels to determine if pressure is about the same rather than using the newer sensor system with the pressure sensor sending unit located in the tire.

Old 02-06-2022, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by schmieg
The 2014 has a different setup for the TPMS than the newer CX5's. I'm not sure when it switched, but I think it was around 2016. The older system measures the rotation of the wheels to determine if pressure is about the same rather than using the newer sensor system with the pressure sensor sending unit located in the tire.
^^^^^^^this^^^^^^

From what I understand the 2014 CX-5 did not have individual TPM sensors in each wheel but instead used the ABS system to monitor tire pressures. No batteries to worry about in this system.

Old 02-06-2022, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Ruthieb09
I have a 2014 Cx-5 bought 2nd hand last year with full service history.

The oil pressure light came on and check engine last week so did all manual checks which were fine and light came back on so took it to our local garage who found the wrong oil had been used and we needed a new pump so they did an engine flush and replaced pump etc. All lights disappeared.

The next day the tpms and scbs lights came on.. I checked tyre pressure which is fine, cleaned areas where scbs sensors are and lights are still coming so took back to garage and they can't seem to find a fault.

I will need to take to mazda but just wondering if anyone else has come across these issues?

Just a note I'm not car savvy at all 🙈
How was it determined that the wrong oil was used at the last oil change? From the service history records? A new oil pump was installed, right?

As for the TPMS warring light. You did use the reset button to try and clear the error, right? All tires should be inflated properly and then the reset button pressed till a chime is heard. Now the system has a baseline to compare and if any of the tires deviate from this baseline, you'll receive a warning light.

Old 02-06-2022, 10:57 AM

Performance use where the engine may be run at red line for several seconds or minutes Drag racing or Road tracking competition events may have different answer? MAY?.

How does the wrong engine oil cause the engine light to come on? Answer: *It doesn't. You could use none detergent DINO oil and the engine light would not come on. Someone is giving incorrect information. But lets keep it real, you can run almost any viscosity fron 0W10-20w50 synthetic, synthetic blend or straight none synthetic in a Gasoline MAZDA Skyactiv or most all none Skyactiv engines and at least (keeping it real) within 3-5k miles * never generate an oil caution light. (*There are some extreme running conditions that could cause a oil light if to low a viscosity or to high velocity is used in extreme ambient temperature on both sides of the temperature scale. But rare)

Last edited by Callisto; 02-06-2022 at 11:00 AM.
Old 02-07-2022, 12:51 AM

Others are right about the TPMS light coming on during extreme weather. As for your SCBS it could be due to the sensor being blocked by some fog or ice on the windshield. If it's not that check for DTCs. If any are found relating to your Brakes it's most likely your brake pedal switch which is an EASY repair

Old 02-07-2022, 05:06 AM
Super Moderator

Seeing the topic starter is from NSW Australia, i'm guessing its a diesel CX-5. Running the correct oil in these diesels is critical. Also they have big issues with the oil strainer blocking up from excessive carbon/blow-by from the injector washers.

Quick Reply: Please help...