Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Oil to Use?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 06:07 PM
Default Which Oil to Use?

My daughter has a 2013 Mazda CX-5. I changed the oil in it at about 7,000 miles and used Castrol Edge 0W-20 Edge Fully Synthetic Oil with Titanium (Gold container). I need to change the oil again and there is a sale on Castrol 0W-20 Edge with Syntec (Black container). Is this ok to use?

Let me know your opinions.

Thanks!

Mike

Old 12-28-2013, 06:33 PM
Banned

I don't know what the warranty requirements are for your vehicle, but the next thing i tell you, you won't like!
You should never change your own oil when a vehicle is under warranty. Why? If there is a claim, you need to supply proof of oil changes. Showing them a bill of oil you purchased probably won't cut it. A proper receipt with mileage, dates, and vehicle it was put on is best for ease of getting warranty. You may have a hassle if you ever need warranty. Most people don't keep their receipts, so getting the dealer to change the oil is usually the best as the oil changes done by the dealer is the ultimate proof and are tracked with a computer.

Old 12-28-2013, 07:49 PM

What he said ^^^, disregard entirely!!
As long as you can reasonably document the fact that you changed your oil and filter with recommended spec lubricants and filter (see page 6-20 of your owner's manual) at the appropriate mileage, no self-respecting dealer is going to **** with you. Better yet, would be to purchase and use Mazda super-moly oil which is only recommended for SkyActiv engines. However, the manual states the following and as long as you comply with these specs, you're gold:

U.S.A. and CANADA

0W-20 full synthetic recommended:

Mazda genuine oil is used in your Mazda

vehicle and 0W-20 lubricant is

recommended. Mazda genuine 0W-20 oil

is required to achieve optimum fuel

economy. If 0W-20 is not available, 5W-

20 may be used for oil level maintenance

and oil changes however, it must be

replaced with 0W-20 at the next oil

change to maintain optimum performance.

Recommended viscosity: SAE 0W-20

For maintenance service, Mazda

recommends Mazda genuine parts and

Castrol®.

Only use SAE 0W-20 oil with the

American Petroleum Institute (API)

symbol and ILSAC GF-5.

Oil with this trademark symbol conforms

to the current engine and emission system

protection standards and fuel economy

requirements of the International

Lubricant Standardization and Approval

Committee (ILSAC), comprised of U.S.

and Japanese automobile manufacturers.

Last edited by paris1; 12-28-2013 at 07:53 PM.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:47 AM
Banned

wow, should have edited that copy and paste and delete the spaces, paragraph symbols after each line!
As far as disregard entirely, your an ______.
Dealer is not going to give you breaks, especially if you don't go there and do your own work! The documenting the fact that you changed it on your vehicle is the hard part when you do it on your own.
I did mention he may have a problem. If you notice the may is in bold. It all comes down to keeping receipts for 5 years of which normally people don't and proving it went on your vehicle. This is better done thru the dealer, since they keep records of your vehicle on the computer----no problems for warranty claims this way.
Proving you changed it at a certain mileage is impossible unless you wrote the mileage and for what car on the receipt-----guess you could fudge this now and take your chances.

Last edited by UseYourNoggin; 12-29-2013 at 07:55 AM.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:25 AM

In my case, I always use the type of oil the manufacturer recommends during the warranty period just to be safe.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:51 PM

I do all my own oil changes, been to too many dealers that screwed it up: overfills, loose filter and plug, wrong grade oil, etc. You should be fine provided you have all receipts. Haven't seen too many dealers even try to refuse a claim with the right documentation nowadays. In the US, it's against federal law to even suggest that the only place you can get service is exclusively from a dealer. It is a good idea to use factory filters and make sure to use the right grade as suggested in the owners manual. The Mazda 0w-20 Moly is an excellent oil, but anything the proper grade will satisfy warranty requirements as they're all synthetics.

Last edited by madar; 01-06-2014 at 06:54 PM.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:18 AM

Like Madar said I use the factory filters and the factory recommended weight of oil 0w20. Keep receipts for both. For years with all my new cars I send out an oil sample of every oil change to Blackstone labs for analysis during the warranty period. A little overboard but its another piece of documentation I can throw at them if anything should arise. Plus, you can see how your particular brand of oil is performing. I've notice that one brand may do well in one vehicle and not so well in another. I found this on the Amsoil website: A federal law called the Magnuson-Moss Act (1975) prevents original equipment manufacturers from putting conditions on vehicle warranties attached to any product or service identified by brand, trade or corporate name, unless the manufacturer provides that product or service free of charge. This means consumers have the freedom to use aftermarket products of their choice without fear of losing the original limited or implied vehicle warranty.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:28 PM

ow-20 synthetic is required for your CX-5. it doesnt matter which brand but for what its worth, we use Mobil 1 in my dealership.

yes having the dealer perform regular maintenence can help in a warranty situation. It can really go a long ways in an after warranty adjustment situation. However, it is not required so long as you can prove you performed regular maintenence using the recommended materials.