Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Mobile Start - yes or no?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 07:04 PM
Default Mobile Start - yes or no?

About to but a CX5 GT with tech. Would like remote start, but I see that it's only available from Mazda as a smartphone app. Can anyone share their experiences with it? Wondering if I'd be better off buying an after-marker unit.

Old 02-05-2016, 06:52 PM

Its not great. I just got it with my 2016 CX-5 and it takes a while for the app to load up which I find to be a pain but the worst part about it is that the car turns off every time you open the door to get it and you need to start it again. Was this product not tested at all before implementing in production? My hope is that they will update the app/firmware but it's in a frustrating state right now.

Old 02-12-2016, 11:07 AM

we havent sold any at our shop. just read the reviews on the app alone. people have way more issues than they should for a premium service. granted the first year is free but if its 60 a year than it should work flawlessly.

Old 02-16-2016, 03:35 PM
Default Mobile Start - yes or no?

Is the 'normal' old key fob remote start still avaliable or is it all or nothing with mazda mobile start? So far, the app sucks; unlock phone with password. , login to app with password, start start car with password. Was easier to just point fob at car and and hit button to start

Last edited by Budgetplan1; 02-16-2016 at 03:42 PM.
Old 04-03-2016, 01:09 PM

I'm looking to purchase a 2016.5 GT in the near future and the mobile start concept was a factor that influenced my decision. I have to rely on street parking for both home and work so my car is never visible or within 100ft. I have no problem loading up the app so that I can start my car 5-10 minutes before I'm ready to leave.

Are there any other drawbacks? Time consumption is not an issue for me.

Old 04-03-2016, 01:35 PM

Idling, especially when the engine is cold, is very hard on the engine. The best/healthiest way to warm up an engine is to start it, click on your seat belt, put the transmission in gear, and start driving (conservatively of course).

Old 04-05-2016, 12:06 AM

I have a '16 CX-5 GT with remote start key fob - no app. They tried to sell me on the app, but as some one stated, they charge yearly for it (not sure if they offered first year free). Anyway, I'm a smart phone neophyte and don't like needing it for things other than making calls and texts.
As far as the "fob" itself, it's separate from the actual key fob (no idea why). So you basically have to carry two key fobs with you. I tend to only use it on cold mornings here in upstate NY so I use it from in the house and then leave it in the house. It can be set to run for ten minutes and then shuts off or thirty minutes and I don't know why anybody would want it running for thirty minutes. I wish you could change it to just run for five minutes but that is not an option. The car's heat only takes a few minutes and five would be just enough for it to be warm. The biggest reason I like it is that when it snows you can turn it on and let it run which helps defrost the glass so you just need to brush off the car and don't need to scrape the windshield (it does some of the work for you while your still inside drinking coffee). You can also remotely turn it off if you want to keep an eye on it and turn it off after five minutes (kind of a pain as I use that ten minutes getting ready and not watching the clock).
As far as the car turning off when you open the door to finally get in it (yes, kind of annoying) but it is apparently a safety (security) feature. One, so no one can walk up and get in your car and take off like a thief (security) or mischievous kid (safety). The doors lock automatically when the car starts but won't start or lock the doors if the key is in the car so you don't have to worry about locking your key in the car.
This is the first car I've had with a remote starter and I decided to spoil myself in general with this car (hence the GT version) so I got it. Is it worth the extra money, I don't know, the phone app, doesn't sound so good but if you live in a cold weather area and like having a warm car to get in, then go for it.
As far as an after market one goes, your not going to save much money as ones for new cars are still pretty pricey. The fact that this car is so electrical and computer "heavy" as it is, I'd rather have the one that was designed specifically for this car by the company that made the car than screw around with aftermarket and "hope" everything still works afterward.

Last edited by NYGent; 04-05-2016 at 12:09 AM.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:20 AM
Unhappy Mazda Mobile Start Not Great

I recently purchased the Mazda Mobile Start and was informed it would let me climate control. It doesn't, that is only for the upper Mazda models.

It takes forever to log on and do anything. Does anyone know if there is a download that has come out to reduce the waiting time and also let you use functions like climate control.

Last, tried to use the "find your car" feature and my car beeped once and not again. When I used the navigation arrow it had me walking in the wrong direction.

Has anyone worked these issues out and how did you do it?

Old 05-22-2017, 10:52 PM

When I ordered my '15 GT AWD 3 years ago the only one they could locate in the color I wanted had the remote start key fob (a $550 option). Told them I didn't want it so they effectively split the cost with me. Still didn't think it was worth it. Never could use it with the care stored in an attached garage but perhaps 3 or 4 times when I had the car outside where I work.

My 2017 won't have one but does have heated seats (f/r) and the steering wheel.

Old 10-30-2017, 11:26 AM
Default Gagan

I purchased CX9-2017 and want to install a traditional key based remote start, first I inquired from the dealership to install it from the dealership. I raised a query to MAZDA regarding any warranty violation if I installed it from a third party and below is the response
"Currently, we provide our Mazda Mobile Start as the sole option for remote access to our vehicles. We do not provide any other option for remote start for any of our vehicles but I will surely provide feedback to our Product Planning team. We do not recommend installing a third party system as it may interfere with normal functionality of your CX-9 and may void any applicable warranties"
I think it is not a fair business practice to force a customer use a certain part that you are not able to manufacture. I am planning to raise a complaint in FTC - Federal Trade Commission. Please advise.

Quick Reply: Mobile Start - yes or no?