Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mazda vs Camry

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 07:20 AM
Default Mazda vs Camry

After researching 5 vehicles for over three months, I have narrowed my list to the Mazda CX5T and the Camry XSE V6. I have looked at the Camry, but unfortunately the CX5T still isn't available to test. What is the best points to convince me to purchase the CX5T over the Camry? I really prefer a SUV to replace my 2010 Nissan Frontier, but will settle for a sedan based on reliability and the 'fun factor' in driving. I realize that the CX5 isn't made for serious off-road use, so that isn't a factor.

Old 11-26-2018, 08:36 AM

I find Mazdas to be a nice car from a driver perspective. I've owned a Mazda6 and now drive a 2016 CX-5. I have a friend who owns a Toyota Camry and I have a Tundra pickup, Toyota builds a very dependable car, but I like the personality of Mazda better. The CX-5 is a good driver car, especially for a mini SUV, I owned several Outbacks over the years, the handling of the CX-5 is far better. Also, I've had no issues with my CX-5. Not to offend Toyotas, but I find them pretty bland.

Old 11-26-2018, 10:26 AM

Thank you for your input. I am nervously anticipating the CX5T to arrive at the dealers.

Old 11-26-2018, 11:11 AM

what year is the camry , also i learned this the hard way when i had a accord V6. but you should look into what the maintenance is for the v6. for instance .. when i got my accord v6, i had no idea it would need a timing belt and water pump replacement as Standard maintenance. $$$ among other items that were only for the V6 model.....

Old 11-26-2018, 11:17 AM

The Camry is a 2019 Camry XSE V6. In view of the Camry's outstanding record in the past, I don't anticipate any problems with the car. My wife has a 2017 Camry XSE V6 and she has had absolutely NO problems. A V6 doesn't require any more maintenance than any other vehicle. Properly maintained the Camry or Accord are good cars, but all vehicles must be maintained as required to assure long-lasting enjoyment.

Old 11-26-2018, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Arkainzeye
what year is the camry , also i learned this the hard way when i had a accord V6. but you should look into what the maintenance is for the v6. for instance .. when i got my accord v6, i had no idea it would need a timing belt and water pump replacement as Standard maintenance. $$$ among other items that were only for the V6 model.....
Yes, the Toyota V6 requires a timing chain replacement (at ~120K miles) and they do the water pump at the same time as they have to remove the chain to get to the water pump. That is a $1500 service. Been there and done that.

Last edited by dougal; 11-27-2018 at 06:40 AM.
Old 11-26-2018, 02:37 PM

I had both and the Camry requires more maintenance. The CX-5 is cheaper to own and performs great. The suspension is stiffer, but you ride higher. Who wants a sedan anymore?

Old 11-26-2018, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by nickndfl
I had both and the Camry requires more maintenance. The CX-5 is cheaper to own and performs great. The suspension is stiffer, but you ride higher. Who wants a sedan anymore?
I do and am anxiously awaiting the intro (tomorrow!) of the next-gen Mazda 3 hatch so I can decide between it, the Civic hatch and the Hyundai Elantra GT Sport N-line. I've driven a CX-5 for 6 years now and, while I don't regret choosing it over other crossovers, I'm done with the whole SUV thing with it's unaturally high ride height and ground clearance. I actually lowered mine 1.5" to give it a more "planted look" and to make it feel a little more car-like. Don't assume everyone thinks like you do. The sedan/car portion of the American market is still 33%!

Old 11-26-2018, 02:51 PM

I would be interested in what maintenance you are referring to. All vehicles require some type of routine maintenance.

Old 11-26-2018, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by MrBillMazda
After researching 5 vehicles for over three months, I have narrowed my list to the Mazda CX5T and the Camry XSE V6. I have looked at the Camry, but unfortunately the CX5T still isn't available to test. What is the best points to convince me to purchase the CX5T over the Camry? I really prefer a SUV to replace my 2010 Nissan Frontier, but will settle for a sedan based on reliability and the 'fun factor' in driving. I realize that the CX5 isn't made for serious off-road use, so that isn't a factor.
Why not consider the Mazda 6 2.5T as well?

Quick Reply: Mazda vs Camry