Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mazda dumps AM radio

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2023, 10:43 AM
Default Mazda dumps AM radio

I don't think anyone will miss it .I wonder if Mazda will also dump it on non EV models . https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/en...rs/ar-AA1b8VO1

Last edited by THE CHIEF; 05-14-2023 at 10:45 AM. Reason: ok
Old 05-14-2023, 11:23 AM

I've never used AM radio. Only accidentally when trying to switch an FM station or something...

Old 05-14-2023, 11:37 AM

IMO The end result of AM station access in cars will not really be missed or effect by those that still listen to it for years.
Personally I wont miss them in my own cars but.....

I can still remember some of my very first cars only having AM and would purchase from JC Whitney a FM adapter. Back in the day that was "up tight and out of sight" upgrade for a vehicle. LOL
BTW aftermarket OE replica radios for pre 60's vehicles look like AM only but will play both A/FM stations. NOTHING beats a car show when a pre 60's car is playing music on a AM station!

None automotive but related....I might add that Records were slowly phased out of the market and users moved on to other forms of playback reproduction. Now decades later record coming back to the "Gotta HAVE ONE " market.

Old 05-14-2023, 12:15 PM
Default Sound quality

Originally Posted by Callisto
IMO The end result of AM station access in cars will not really be missed or effect by those that still listen to it for years.
Personally I wont miss them in my own cars but.....

I can still remember some of my very first cars only having AM and would purchase from JC Whitney a FM adapter. Back in the day that was "up tight and out of sight" upgrade for a vehicle. LOL
BTW aftermarket OE replica radios for pre 60's vehicles look like AM only but will play both A/FM stations. NOTHING beats a car show when a pre 60's car is playing music on a AM station!

None automotive but related....I might add that Records were slowly phased out of the market and users moved on to other forms of playback reproduction. Now decades later record coming back to the "Gotta HAVE ONE " market.
The sound quality of AM for music is not as good as FM .I cant imagine anyone listening to AM for music. As far as Vinyl /records go the very best Turn tables ,phono cartridges do in fact sound great ,and there is a on going debate among audiophiles as to digital verses analog . I have some pretty good audio equipment in both the analog and digital ,and on some music/recordings I prefer analog ,and on others I prefer digital. Digital is more convenient ,cheaper, and more accurate ,but there is something about the sound of good analog that sounds more pleasing to some people . Vinyl did have a resurgence, but is going to die a slow death . Your speakers are analog ,so in order for digital to sound good a good digital to analog convert is needed. Modern D To A chips/converters have become very good these days. I prefer digital converters with the AKM chip, over the Saber chip. A lot of us boomers have a large collection of vinyl record ,we still listen to and enjoy .

Last edited by THE CHIEF; 05-14-2023 at 12:26 PM. Reason: ok
Old 05-14-2023, 01:31 PM

AM = Talk shows. At least me dad of 93 listens to them. FM = in an event (I think we don't need to mention or talk about what) of something happening the AM would likely still broadcast or be set up for local information over any other media less CB or 2 cans and a string .

My wife primarily wanted a record player and now we started collecting records. It sucks because my record collection before i sold the complete collection off was in the several hundred in all sizes 45,78.33 /1/2 And My system was very high end and all records played on a Leaner tracking turntable. Now it simple Amazon player and small collection. I even got a free basket of records that was going to be tossed and there was a Bettles White Album.
Don't mind the gloves I am cleaning and detailing bike parts today. LOLl

Old 05-14-2023, 02:50 PM
Default Ouch

Originally Posted by Callisto
AM = Talk shows. At least me dad of 93 listens to them. FM = in an event (I think we don't need to mention or talk about what) of something happening the AM would likely still broadcast or be set up for local information over any other media less CB or 2 cans and a string .

My wife primarily wanted a record player and now we started collecting records. It sucks because my record collection before i sold the complete collection off was in the several hundred in all sizes 45,78.33 /1/2 And My system was very high end and all records played on a Leaner tracking turntable. Now it simple Amazon player and small collection. I even got a free basket of records that was going to be tossed and there was a Bettles White Album.
Don't mind the gloves I am cleaning and detailing bike parts today. LOLl

That hurts my ears just thinking about it. You might want to look into getting a $149.00 WiiM Mini . Unless your keeping the temp under 60 degrees ,your wine is getting F****d up.

Last edited by THE CHIEF; 05-14-2023 at 02:54 PM.
Old 05-14-2023, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by THE CHIEF
That hurts my ears just thinking about it. You might want oto look into getting a $149.00 WiiM Mini . Unless your keeping the temp under 60 degrees ,your wine is getting F****d up.
Auh ok. been into buying, drinking and collecting to drink when peaked or when the mod strikes me for about 30+ years I can flat tell you lots of myth and misunderstanding about how to store them. Most of that information is so antiquated. However I do know about the storing them so they don't all go bad . When you collect enough you are always going to have one or 2 go bad and it is not always because of the storage.
But really you can do your way and I will do mine. This will kill you more that is about 700+ dollars of wine there and some are serial numbered!
As for the Googal speaker you "I SPYd" that is for quick and dirty play some background music.
I am currently upgrading my complete sound system in the living room primarily for the NEW 85 inch Sony with a Nakamichi ShockWafe Ultra 9.2.4 channel 1000W Dolby Atmos with dual 10 inch sub woofers.

Old 05-14-2023, 10:07 PM

I don't think he is talking about the Google speaker. You can see two black bookshelf speakers on either side of the turntable. I assume they are a decent brand from what you have in your car, but certainly pretty small for full range music production (unless there is a sub I can't see in the photo ). I too leave my wife's wine out on display in the rooms we frequent. She hasn't complained yet about the taste as they are some pretty nice bottles I keep her stocked up with.

Old 05-15-2023, 06:39 AM

FM converters were well remembered additions back in the day along with the 8-track tape player
There is no doubt vinyl is the better music medium...but...
No matter how much you carefully clean the albums with Discwasher brush and fluid or how good your turntable and cartridge,
they wear every time you play them and lose some of the original audio quality. I replaced my 1000 plus albums with CD's and now have neither as I copied them all to Hardrives and SSD. I did keep my AC to DC integrated power amp but had to eventually get new speakers even though i did recone my old Altec Model 9 series II.
As for wine, my house is on an uninsulated slab and my wine cabinet rest directly on the slab which keeps it right around 55 degrees where I live.
But then my "stock" rotates very frequently

Old 05-15-2023, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
I don't think he is talking about the Google speaker. You can see two black bookshelf speakers on either side of the turntable. I assume they are a decent brand from what you have in your car, but certainly pretty small for full range music production (unless there is a sub I can't see in the photo ). I too leave my wife's wine out on display in the rooms we frequent. She hasn't complained yet about the taste as they are some pretty nice bottles I keep her stocked up with.
ok good thought . Currently until the new system is installed, they are generally for effect of lessening to the record's but when I listen to any record the out RCA are connected to my Samsung Towers. And yes to the keen eye that is a dbx 18 sub run by its own dedicated dbx sub amplifier.
As for wine , knowing how they are stored for most retail and when they finally end up in the retail stores, by the time you purchased them in some cases several season to years not laid down and in a controlled environment very few really go bad. Besides this is over 2000 years since wine was made and information changes along with prevention of bacteria and other things that rtruly decades ago may have influences the biggest reasons for the wine storge information? IDK. My days of protecting rare or expensive wines is over. I went through wine storge coolers digging up my yard for a small wine cellar and it made zero difference in the wine effecting it ageing or corking? My collection is insured and the insurance does not stipulate if it corks. To bad you are in other states I would invite you over to share a good bottle or 2.

Quick Reply: Mazda dumps AM radio