Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual Shifting

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2022, 12:21 PM
Default 2023 Manual Shifting

Hi All,
Our 2023 CX-5 will not shift in the manual mode while driving. Tried it in sport mode but no response, will try again tomorrow.
Thanks

Last edited by UnclePete; 12-31-2022 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Add year
Old 12-24-2022, 12:33 PM

Definitely not working in sport mode, any thoughts.
Not my daily ride, took a while to try again.

Old 12-24-2022, 02:01 PM

It won't go into manual mode when parked, stopped in gear, or while driving? Will it physically move left from the Drive position?

Old 12-25-2022, 03:10 PM

Lever will move left and will display the gear number while driving.
When lever is moved up or down no change in gear up or down while driving.

Last edited by UnclePete; 12-31-2022 at 09:10 AM.
Old 12-27-2022, 12:41 AM

Mazda should have designed this to require pushing the shift button to move to manual mode

Old 12-28-2022, 09:01 PM
Cool

Mazda should have designed this to require pushing the shift button to move to manual mode
Why? Other manufacturers besides Mazda (like Nissan, Porsche, Alfa, Lexus etc.) move the stick to the side to enter the manual shifting mode. The idea is common, intuitive and it works on countless vehicles, why reinvent the wheel? Which is easier, hunting around for a manual button - or simply moving the same lever you’re going to use to shift the transmission? SMH.

Old 12-31-2022, 10:05 AM

Working now, must be a Christmas miracle. 😂😅🤣

Old 01-07-2023, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by UnclePete
Lever will move left and will display the gear number while driving.
When lever is moved up or down no change in gear up or down while driving.
While driving... So what number was shown ”while driving”? What gear were you in and what gear were you trying to shift to? For example, if you are driving at 40 miles per hour and you are in the fifth gear, 5M, and you're trying to shift into the sixth gear, it won't. You have to have at least 45 miles per hour speed to be able to shift into the sixth. Can you give some details, context? If you have the Mazda owner's manual, there are explanations and recommendations about when to shift, what speed etc. If you've ever driven a car with the normal manual transmission, you can pretty much shift in any gear you want, driving at 5 mph from 1st to 5th if you want. You won't have any torque, probably the engine will die but you can do it. In a Mazda car you can't, the computer won't let you do that if you do not have the minimum speed programmed in the computer for that particular gear.

Last edited by ADS-B; 01-07-2023 at 10:07 PM.
Old 01-08-2023, 10:06 AM

As listed above, all set, working now. Thanks for the response.

Old 01-08-2023, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by ADS-B
While driving... So what number was shown ”while driving”? What gear were you in and what gear were you trying to shift to? For example, if you are driving at 40 miles per hour and you are in the fifth gear, 5M, and you're trying to shift into the sixth gear, it won't. You have to have at least 45 miles per hour speed to be able to shift into the sixth. Can you give some details, context? If you have the Mazda owner's manual, there are explanations and recommendations about when to shift, what speed etc. If you've ever driven a car with the normal manual transmission, you can pretty much shift in any gear you want, driving at 5 mph from 1st to 5th if you want. You won't have any torque, probably the engine will die but you can do it. In a Mazda car you can't, the computer won't let you do that if you do not have the minimum speed programmed in the computer for that particular gear.
This is pretty much spot on information^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ You just forgot to add that the ECU will protect the engine and not let it over RPM in any gear and also there are MPH limiters set as well.

Or you can do-it-your-way!
*In my Mazda I can run the engine speed (RPM) as high as I want and also the shifting in manual is completely under my control if I go into sport mode! That mean any MPH any gear I choose! I don't like auto manufacture controlling what I do to "MY" cars!

VT mapping is not recommend to adjust to anyone not knowing and fully understanding what they are doing

Last edited by Callisto; 11-16-2023 at 11:39 AM. Reason: changed the MPG to MPH

Quick Reply: Manual Shifting