Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

machine grey or black paint ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2021, 10:54 AM
Default machine grey or black paint ?

My son is considering colors he may choose for a 2021 CX-5, and he has narrowed it down to either machine grey or black. I've never owned a vehicle with either of those colors so I can't advise him from personal experience.
If you've had a dark grey or black vehicle, or both, please post here any helpful opinions you have about these colors. Thanks

Old 12-15-2021, 11:26 AM

I always prefer a variation of grey, versus black. I avoid black because it looks dirty/dusty so quickly after washing the car. My last 5 cars have been grey-ish.
Below are pics taken while the car was being prep'ed by dealership, so these pics were taken indoors. I also prefer colors that do not attract too much attention, but that's just me.
Either way, good luck with the vehicle.

Old 12-15-2021, 03:13 PM

Few colors are betting looking than a clean, waxed/coated black car. Few colors look dirtier than a black car at all other times. Black cars will show dust and swirls way more pronounced then any other color - including grey. And I have owned many black cars. My current car is the CX-5 Carbon Edition - metallic grey and it shows differently, depending on the light. I do like it.

Old 12-15-2021, 03:49 PM

Yup what bobm said. I wash y Mica Black MAZDA I think more than anyone on this forum washes their cars? LOL Got lots of posts and pictures to prove it. Mostly because I like to have a clean car but also is Black. It starts to show dust hours after I clean it. But on a positive side often get compliments on the color!

Old 12-15-2021, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
Yup what bobm said. I wash y Mica Black MAZDA I think more than anyone on this forum washes their cars? LOL Got lots of posts and pictures to prove it. Mostly because I like to have a clean car but also is Black. It starts to show dust hours after I clean it. But on a positive side often get compliments on the color!
It's good to hear from someone who drives a black CX-5. For years I've heard and read complaints about black being too difficult to keep clean, but my observation is that there are millions of black colored cars on the road, so obviously lots of people choose to purchase the black color. For yourself, is the reason you chose black primarily because of how good it looks when clean, polished ?

Old 12-15-2021, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by CMX5
It's good to hear from someone who drives a black MAZDA. For years I've heard and read complaints about black being too difficult to keep clean, but my observation is that there are millions of black colored cars on the road, so obviously lots of people choose to purchase the black color. For yourself, is the reason you chose black primarily because of how good it looks when clean, polished ?
Vanity..... plain and simple.

A debagged black vehicle with only chrome old school 5 spoke American racing wheels get attention. Also, its MICA so although in most light it looks BLACK, when the sun or light hit it just right it is multi-color.

Old 12-22-2021, 11:01 AM

Cleaned and out in the SUN looks BLACK

In the garage with only garage lights on the fuel door

Same fuel door but using the flash on the camera

That same day by the end of the day you could physically see dust on the body. So for the next few days it was wiped each morning until the dirt accumulation was to much for a simple wiping. I hand wash my "BLACK MAZDA during summer months about every 2-3 weeks and in the winter about once a month or sooner if needed or if we travel to the snow.

Old 12-25-2021, 10:30 AM

My son decided he wanted the black color so yesterday we traded his white 2016 CX-5 for a black 2021 CX-5.

Old 12-25-2021, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by CMX5
My son decided he wanted the black color so yesterday we traded his white 2016 CX-5 for a black 2021 CX-5.
Congratulation on your NEW MAZDA!

Old 12-25-2021, 02:46 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by Callisto
Congratulation on your NEW MAZDA!
Thank you