Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low temp. of cooling liquid.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2021, 11:11 AM

Hello again 😀,
No "check engine" error for about 3 weeks now, but gauge still points temp. about 150-170F.
I called dealership and they claim that if there is no error, nothing to worry, especially in my gasoline engine, because there is no dpf filter. The only problem can be a little higher petrol consumption.
Hmmm...

I noticed today,when I stopped after driving, that both fans are rotating every 5-10 seconds for couple of seconds and again the same.
Is it normal that they are turned on when the temp. is about 170F?
Shouldn't they be switched on when the temp. is about 200F?

Old 01-11-2023, 04:11 AM

Hello, I have the same issue with my 2019 Mazda CX5, how did you solve this? Thanks!

Old 01-13-2023, 07:57 PM

Hello everyone,

Original owner 2020 CX5 ~30,000 miles with a similar issue- takes very long to warm up, and operating temp now only goes to ~165 degrees F. Just started doing that- previously ran just below the 210 degree mark for the 33 previous months I've had it. The car was leased from Open Road Mazda in East Brunswick, and they are the only place I've had it serviced (never needed anything but normal maintenance)

Still under warranty- so I brought it to the dealer; and after they did their diagnostic the mechanic/technician with a straight face said the only fault indication with the diagnostic tool was a "low charging" battery- so that must be the problem. Sounded wacky to me (car starts fine, no other indications, plus- cars run on the alternator not the battery after they start afaik), but ok- I said I guess you can replace the battery under warranty. He said because the diag tool did not identify the battery as "defective" they wouldn't replace it under warranty. I then said, what if I replace the batter and it doesn't fix the problem- he said they would continue to look into it, but I'd still have to pay for the battery,

My position to him was
1) if the battery fixes the problem, then it must be defective and therefore should be covered under the warranty
2) if the battery didn't fix the problem, the problem was mis-diagnosed and therefore I shouldn't have to pay for the battery.

He refused to consider what I said. I made the same argument to the Service Manager and the store's General Manger. They all robotically repeated the "the diag tool didn't indicate the battery was "defective"" routine: but had no response to my position.

What's interesting is that while this was going on, their sales guy was calling me and offering to put me into a new CX5- at an admittedly good price. I was (and still am) so upset at how they dealt with the operating temp issue that I told them I wasn't interested in discussing anything wrt another car until they resolve the issue. So they cost themselves a sale. As an aside, I've really liked the CX5 and was considering leasing another.

This was 1/4- I left the dealer and wrote an email to Mazda customer service detailing the situation, Surprisingly, I haven't heard back from them yet.

I'm glad I found this thread, and the Service Bulletin that m5xguy posted. I think I'll bring it to the dealer tomorrow and see the reaction.

To say my confidence in this dealer is gone would not be inaccurate. And pretty surprised that Mazda has not responded in over a week.

I'll lyk what transpires.

Thanks again,
Walter

Last edited by wpbarlow; 01-13-2023 at 08:00 PM.
Old 01-14-2023, 02:08 AM

I can give you 99% its not the battery.. I left my mazda at my friends repair shop, they checked coolant temp and other things with diagnostics and came to conclusion that it must be faulty thermostat, unfortunately you cannot change it separately and need to change whole block of that thing, which new costs 600eur!! I found one from some other used mazda, on Monday we will try to put it on and then see if that solved the issue. They guy that sold me that part said its a very common issue for these mazdas, strange that there isnt much info about that in forums..

Old 01-14-2023, 07:46 AM

It's highly unlikely a "battery charging issue" would cause a problem with your temperature gauge.
That said, the stock OEM battery in "most new" vehicles are crap.
The OEM in my 2020 didn't last a year and my dealer replaced it with the battery of "my" choice for "free".
But then I have a really great Mazda dealer that is also a Suzuki, Triumph, Victory and Indian motorcycle dealer service center.
I purchased many motorcycles through them and had all my service done there before buying my Mazda.

Old 01-14-2023, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by wpbarlow
I'm glad I found this thread, and the Service Bulletin that m5xguy posted. I think I'll bring it to the dealer tomorrow and see the reaction.
IMO it will just be a complete waste of your time to ask about that TSB, because your vehicle doesn't have a P0126 code currently set. Very few dealerships would give any consideration to the TSB without that code being set, and I can't imagine that the collection of bozos you're currently dealing with would be an exception to that rule. Now if the CEL is on, then that might be a different story.

Did this outfit by any chance do something to the coolant recently - flush, drain/fill, or whatever else they might have called it? Also, you did check the coolant level, both at the overflow tank, and also at the radiator fill port, correct?

Old 01-14-2023, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by m5xguy
IMO it will just be a complete waste of your time to ask about that TSB, because your vehicle doesn't have a P0126 code currently set. Very few dealerships would give any consideration to the TSB without that code being set, and I can't imagine that the collection of bozos you're currently dealing with would be an exception to that rule. Now if the CEL is on, then that might be a different story.

Did this outfit by any chance do something to the coolant recently - flush, drain/fill, or whatever else they might have called it? Also, you did check the coolant level, both at the overflow tank, and also at the radiator fill port, correct?
I agree that TSB in the face of dealerships is a bad move. That TSB read the BOXED information at the bottom of that TSB as well ALL TSB's!

For the rest, we did not see the dealership service assessment so where do you get the information to call them BOZO"S?
I read a few things that were not mentioned from that member, and you are a smart enough DIY to have seen missing vital information or perhaps more personal conclusions from that member or how he interpreted and even felt at the end of his visit that may have been forgotten by him or just omitted from posting here? So we DONT know what was and possibly not done?
I did find it amusing as I always do when someone contacts Mazda Corp not realizing that Mazda Corp will run the VIN and see the service order and that a dealership is a privately owned business and although there are guidelines set by Mazda that dealership must follow, they can as a privately owned business still refuse to service any customer! So it is never in the best interest of a Mazda customer to **** off their local dealership. Going to other dealerships with the same issue can also possibly get you a service charge because the nest dealership will enter the VIN and see that that customers has already been to another dealership already and may even contact that service department for more details about the service performed. Not trying to pick a fight but dude really calling service people BOZO"S without all the facts is just insulting ...

Then you go on suggesting a service procedure (did you work for or have Mazda factory service training?) that you think should have been done is sort of fueling the fire? We don't have the details of the service write up and what was done? Ya I am defending the Dealership at this point until all the facts are presented and not conjecture or theories! I have dozens of friends that work in several different dealership in the service and sales departments and I personally have worked in them as well and know how customers are.... they all feel butt hurt if their issue is not resolved as they feel it should have been!

Old 01-16-2023, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by m5xguy

Nothing was done to the car prior to the problem (except an oil change about 6 months ago). As I mentioned, the car has less than 31,000 miles and I'm the original owner.

I haven't checked the coolant level- I guess because if it was low the car would run hot, not cold. I'll check it tomorrow before I go to the dealer; as Mazda Customer Service (they finally responded to my email) suggested.

Thanks,
Walter

Old 01-16-2023, 04:41 PM

Here's a copy of the service receipt.

As you can clearly see, the report says the battery shows "bad". If it's bad, it should be replaced under warranty (car is less than 36 months old and has ~31,000 miles)

I spoke with the technician and he said he did not take the car for a drive- so how he determined the temp was ok is a mystery. I offered to have him take a ride with me for a few minutes so he could see for himself what the temp gauge shows. And we were talking after I had taken the car for a 10 minute ride and returned to the dealer to discuss- and the car was running as we had the discussion. I showed him the temp gauge and he insisted the battery was causing it to read low.

I'm a pretty easy going guy, but the illogic of their position is pretty aggravating.

As I said, I'm going back to the dealership tomorrow: maybe try the service manager again.

Walter

Old 01-16-2023, 05:02 PM

Walter unfortunately they did not print the TDCs so I can comment on what they found. But it is interesting about the battery. You mentioned this is a lease, maybe you should read the lease agreement and see if there is something pertaining to the battery. If not, then I would have to join your side and wonder why they did not warranty the battery out?

The only thing I do suggest is that you get a replacement battery asap if the dealership still will not cover it. There is stubborn and then there is logical reasoning...that is that a battery failing can cause electrical problems that now because that service order show you declined getting the battery replaced could cause you some challenging issues when you turn the vehicle in at the end of the lease?

Quick Reply: Low temp. of cooling liquid.