Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Looking to Purchase a Mazda CX-5

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2020, 04:58 PM
Default Looking to Purchase a Mazda CX-5

Hi all:

I want to purchase an SUV with all wheel drive and noticed that the CX-5 is very well rated. I have never owned a Mazda.

1. Would you recommend the CX-5? What do you like/most least about it?
2. Are there certain optional features worth purchasing?
3. How does it handle in the snow?
4. I want to buy a car that will, hopefully, get me 100,000 miles without major repairs. Is that realistic for the CX-5?

Thanks so much!

Old 01-11-2020, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by DaveChicago99
Hi all:

I want to purchase an SUV with all wheel drive and noticed that the CX-5 is very well rated. I have never owned a Mazda.

4. I want to buy a car that will, hopefully, get me 100,000 miles without major repairs. Is that realistic for the CX-5?

Thanks so much!
Disclaimer: While I've never owned a CX-5, I have owned several Mazdas...

The CX-5 can be had in both FWD and AWD trim levels; the FWD versions are reasonable competent in the snow (as are all FWD Mazdas), and the AWD is quite capable in the snow.
Regarding whether it will last 100,000 miles, these days I cannot think of a car, from any manufacturer, which will not, on average, go at least 100,000 miles before any major repairs (or major maintenance) is required.

Old 01-11-2020, 08:22 PM

I too have not owned a CX5 but have owned 6 Mazdas. I would not anticipate anything beyond regular maintenance for at least the first 150,000 miles or more. Mazdas are very dependable and the CX5 is a highly rated model.

As for snow, I recommend winter tires in addition to AWD. Last week I had a mile of packed snow and ice and couldn’t slide if I tried in my AWD Mazda3 with Michelin X-Ice3 winter tires.

Old 01-11-2020, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by mazdaCPA
I too have not owned a CX5 but have owned 6 Mazdas. I would not anticipate anything beyond regular maintenance for at least the first 150,000 miles or more. Mazdas are very dependable and the CX5 is a highly rated model.

As for snow, I recommend winter tires in addition to AWD. Last week I had a mile of packed snow and ice and couldn’t slide if I tried in my AWD Mazda3 with Michelin X-Ice3 winter tires.
Keep in mind, the OP is in the Chicago area, technically speaking, there is zero reason for AWD; a good set of winter rubber on a FWD CX-5 will easily be capable of navigating Chicago area streets all winter with no issues.

Old 01-11-2020, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by shipo
Keep in mind, the OP is in the Chicago area, technically speaking, there is zero reason for AWD; a good set of winter rubber on a FWD CX-5 will easily be capable of navigating Chicago area streets all winter with no issues.
I have been snowed in at the Chicago airport and know a lot of people who advise against layovers in Chicago due to their snow. AWD doesn’t have much of a fuel economy trade off and I would have it on all daily drivers in the family if I lived there.

That said, I agree that you don’t need it but I would get it for the extra level of confidence.

Old 01-11-2020, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by mazdaCPA
I have been snowed in at the Chicago airport and know a lot of people who advise against layovers in Chicago due to their snow. AWD doesn’t have much of a fuel economy trade off and I would have it on all daily drivers in the family if I lived there.

That said, I agree that you don’t need it but I would get it for the extra level of confidence.
Hmmm, I lived in Chicago for 13 years and spend a lot of time there to this day, I cannot ever remember hearing of someone getting snowed at O'Hare. Detroit, certainly, but Chicago? Heck, O'Hare only averages about 35" of snow a year with most recent winters less than half that. When were you snowed in at O'Hare?

Old 01-12-2020, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by shipo
Hmmm, I lived in Chicago for 13 years and spend a lot of time there to this day, I cannot ever remember hearing of someone getting snowed at O'Hare. Detroit, certainly, but Chicago? Heck, O'Hare only averages about 35" of snow a year with most recent winters less than half that. When were you snowed in at O'Hare?
It was a while back. I missed the first day of a January or February conference. I don't recall the year.

I agree that most people in most areas, such as Chicago do not need all wheel drive. Front wheel drive, especially when combined with winter tires, is more than enough to get us through winter. The cost of AWD in terms of vehicle purchase price, fuel efficiency and loss of ride quality has come down so far that many people have gone with AWD over FWD for the added confidence.

I need AWD and even winter tires less than those in Chicago, yet I consider both the be money well spent. The Winter tires were basically free in the long run. While I spent roughly $1,000 on tires and wheels, I was able to get 4 year's use out of the stock tires on my last Mazda and it passed inspection with 100,000 miles. I put the same winter tires on my new Mazda and anticipate that they will last a few more years. AWD did add to the cost of the new Mazda3 and that will not result in an offsetting savings.

My daughter, just informed me that there is a snow forecast for the time she will be leaving a conference next week, roughly 100 miles away. I told her not to worry about the weather. Focus on the conference. If the bus can't take her back to school, I will pick her up at the conference. If the snow is too bad at school when they get back, I will pick her up from there. With AWD and winter tires, I will make sure she will be able to get home. Chances are, the storm will be minor on non-existant. Having the confidence that you don't have to worry about driving in snow has a huge value that exceeds the number of days in a year that AWD is actually beneficial.

Old 01-12-2020, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by DaveChicago99
Hi all:

Thanks so much!
We own an AWD CX-5 Grand Touring trim and I definitely recommend it. The price-benefit ratio is superb for this class and everything is great except for me the driver seat bolstering is too narrow which makes my thighs hurt even on short trips. I am not a big guy and have normal weight. So I would recommend to take it for an as long as possible test drive and make sure you are comfortable with the seat.

Old 01-12-2020, 05:07 PM

I would get the Grand Touring trim level. It has several features that can be really nice to have:
Power liftgate
Power driver seat with dual memory. A real blessing if you're sharing the car with somebody else.
Power passenger seat.
10-speaker Bose stereo system.
Power moon roof
Navigation
19 inch alloy wheels
Sirius XM
Auto-dimming rearview mirror with Homelink buttons

I like the car because of its proven reliability, the fact that it does NOT have a CVT transmission, and it does NOT have a turbocharger. I also agree with some others that AWD isn't really necessary; I still contend that it's mainly a marketing gimmick. We used to live on a ranch, and our 2017 Outback has AWD. I have YET to be in a situation where it was needed. AWD is heavier, expensive to fix, and adds parts and maintenance complications over FWD. A transmission fluid/differential fluid change on an AWD will run you $500 - $600. And of course, like any AWD, if one tire is ever damaged and can't be repaired (e.g. the puncture is too near the outer edge of the tread), you have to replace all four tires.

Old 01-12-2020, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Osmigo
I would get the Grand Touring trim level. It has several features that can be really nice to have:
Power liftgate
Power driver seat with dual memory. A real blessing if you're sharing the car with somebody else.
Power passenger seat.
10-speaker Bose stereo system.
Power moon roof
Navigation
19 inch alloy wheels
Sirius XM
Auto-dimming rearview mirror with Homelink buttons

I like the car because of its proven reliability, the fact that it does NOT have a CVT transmission, and it does NOT have a turbocharger. I also agree with some others that AWD isn't really necessary; I still contend that it's mainly a marketing gimmick. We used to live on a ranch, and our 2017 Outback has AWD. I have YET to be in a situation where it was needed. AWD is heavier, expensive to fix, and adds parts and maintenance complications over FWD. A transmission fluid/differential fluid change on an AWD will run you $500 - $600. And of course, like any AWD, if one tire is ever damaged and can't be repaired (e.g. the puncture is too near the outer edge of the tread), you have to replace all four tires.
The only two downsides to the GT is the mandatory AWD and the 19" wheels; if we were to ever opt for a CX-5 GT, I'd immediately drop the wheel size down to a 18" or even 17" size.