Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Looking for a hitch!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2020, 01:58 PM
Default Looking for a hitch!

I have a 2018 Touring and have been researching trailer hitch receivers. I received an Allen deluxe 3 bike hitch carrier as a gift (model 532RR and fits 1 1/4" + 2" receiver hitches), and now need to get a hitch so I may use it! I have been leaning towards the Curt Trailer hitch Receiver (Item C12170) offered by etrailer. I think it will fit a Touring ??? Seems as though it may be a good option for a bike rack as well as small trailer. Any hitch suggestions from anyone would be greatly appreciated. I am a woman on a mission! lol. Also I do have someone that can put my vehicle on a lift to make it easier but I may be crawling around on the ground trying to do this by myself. I also want to avoid having to "cut" my bumper/trim. I have seen a few misc reviews on hitches where people say that they had to cut a chunk out of their trim/bumper.... Ummm yeah.. I won't go there! lol...

Old 06-08-2020, 07:50 AM
Default Hitch

I have a 2016 with a Curt Class III Receiver / Hitch. Got it right after I bought my CX-5 back in 2016. Installed it myself but used a floor jack to help get it up. I have motorcycle trailer, and a small utility trailer I pull with it. Hitch and trailer are fine, but CX-5 not ideal for hauling trailers. Luckily I only need it a few times a year. If hauling a trailer on a regular basis, would definitely gotten something different. Biggest problem is mirrors and back window, makes it hard to keep eye on trailer. If all your going to use it for is a bike rack, you can go with a Class 1 or 2. BTW, no cutting of bumber of needed, at least not for mine. Just make sure you buy hitch specifically made for your vehicle.

Old 06-12-2020, 10:05 PM

I had a Curt class III put on my 2016 CX-5 Touring. It works fine and was wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy cheaper that dealer cost for a hitch. Like half.

Old 06-28-2020, 01:14 PM

Sorry it took so long to reply back! Life has a way of getting in the way sometimes...lol. Thanks for the input. I think I will go with the Curt!!

Old 07-01-2020, 11:08 PM

Same here.

Old 07-05-2020, 12:42 PM

Yes - get the Curt hitch and watch the step-by-step install video. Its an excellent video, since I was nervous about installing myself. There is one step regarding the sequence of re-attaching the rubber hangers that I did out of sequence, my fault. So I had to back track and unattach, then re-attach the rubber hanger on the passenger side. Total install time, 45 mins, for someone who has never done this before. Also, to get the car up high enough for the install I just placed two 2x4s together under each rear wheel. Then backed up so the rear wheels where on top of the 2x4s (you may want to use two 2x6s). This gave me approx 4" of clearance, enough to comfortably and safely get the job done. I got the wood off the scrap pile at Home Depot.

Old 09-05-2020, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by NYGent
I have a 2016 with a Curt Class III Receiver / Hitch. Got it right after I bought my CX-5 back in 2016. Installed it myself but used a floor jack to help get it up. I have motorcycle trailer, and a small utility trailer I pull with it.
NYGent - what type of motorcycle trailer are you using and do you have any recommendations for towing a small sport bike and/or dirt bike? I'm looking primarily at the foldable Kendon Go two-motorycle trailer... but they aren't cheap!

Thanks in advance for any recs.