Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to buy new CX 5..thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2023, 08:34 AM
Default Looking to buy new CX 5..thoughts?

Hey guys! New member here. Im looking at a new cx-5 carbon today had and wanted to know if anyone that has purchased this vehicle if their dealer did much of a discount on one? Also welcoming any thoughts on new cx5 buyers as well and how they like it.
i have a new 4runner now and need to do a downgrade, i dont need a 55k vehicle and camry/rav4 quality besides the engine is like a tin can on wheels and mazda quality seems to be a step up.
thanks guys!!

Old 09-02-2023, 08:43 AM

You should get a great premium trade in price for your 4 Runner.
In most markets it'll probably enough to compensate for any CX-5 dealer pricing differences.
Of which I don't see a large difference among most Mazda dealers.

Last edited by Lobstah; 09-02-2023 at 03:52 PM.
Old 09-02-2023, 08:48 AM

Welcome to the forums.

I'll trade you for your 4Runner
Seriously I wanted to get a TRD Pro but just couldn't afford it.
I can't speak for other areas but where I live when I bought mine in May of this year, no discounts were around except I got a loyalty discount for having a previous CX5. I think it was 500 or 1000$
Otherwise I was at MSRP when i got my new one.
Things seem to be pretty fluid in the car market so it might be different now. I'd do some dealership shopping where you are and see how they compare.

I have a 23' Turbo and its great. Not without its quirks like all cars and some things I don't like but overall, for the money and options, it is hard to beat.
Good luck

Old 09-02-2023, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by climbinglife
Welcome to the forums.

I'll trade you for your 4Runner
Seriously I wanted to get a TRD Pro but just couldn't afford it.
I can't speak for other areas but where I live when I bought mine in May of this year, no discounts were around except I got a loyalty discount for having a previous CX5. I think it was 500 or 1000$
Otherwise I was at MSRP when i got my new one.
Things seem to be pretty fluid in the car market so it might be different now. I'd do some dealership shopping where you are and see how they compare.

I have a 23' Turbo and its great. Not without its quirks like all cars and some things I don't like but overall, for the money and options, it is hard to beat.
Good luck
lol yea its a 23 4runner limited and the best the dealer was giving me was 50k trade. Yeah sounds like my discount I’m hearing is the same most places like maybe 1000 off sticker and 500 Mazda loyalty. I’m looking at the nonturbo just to save some money. I have noticed a quality inside These things are 100 times better than anything Toyota puts out.

Old 09-02-2023, 09:53 AM

They are nice on the inside for sure. What sold me were some of the options that you didn't get at similar price points in other brands. I had a 22 Carbon NA (since totaled) and for 31k at the time, had power liftgate, red leather, memory seats, heated seats and moonroof. Tough to beat honestly. The turbo is def a substantial upgrade but the power delivery is noticeable for sure. Along with that you get a few other things: ventilated seats, heads up display, power folding heated mirrors and heated wipers and also a heated steering wheel. Just have to see what you want or don't want.
I can say i didn't care much for those upgrades, as I wanted the turbo BUT the ventilated seats are gold for me. Never had them before and now I don't know If could live without them lol.

Good luck. I will say your 4runners engine will run forever
I had two modified Jeeps in my life and a 4 runner would have been an offroad money pit for me lol.

Old 09-02-2023, 03:48 PM

Well - at the continued risk of being attacked - Im an NA fan , not because it costs less or a lower risk of engine issues or that ot gets better gas mileage or that it costs less to insure ...but I just dont need anymore power , I look at the average hp used to push my vehicle down the freeway and its a fraction of the total avaliable power at max torque/hp rpm - I admit every turbo ive driven was fun on some level - To me the benifits dont outweigh the risk / cost - but theres clearly a contingent of buyers who love em - so motor on ! and have fun- Cx-5s are great to drive either way

Old 09-02-2023, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by retread888
- Im an NA fan , not because it costs less or a lower risk of engine issues or that ot gets better gas mileage or that it costs less to insure ...but I just dont need anymore power , I look at the average hp used to push my vehicle down the freeway and its a fraction of the total avaliable power at max torque/hp rpm - I admit every turbo ive driven was fun on some level - To me the benifits dont outweigh the risk / cost - but theres clearly a contingent of buyers who love em - so motor on ! and have fun- Cx-5s are great to drive either way
I am in agreement on one point only that being preferring the normally aspirated MAZDA over any of the current power options. But none of your opinioned reasons.
I can and have made more power with a N/A Mazda while still maintain California very strict emission requirements at a cost to me less then I could have purchased the Turbocharged model Mazda.
However, keep in mind that MAZDA does not participate in the SAE J1349® Certified Power which requires that to post actual power ratings on engines from any auto manufacture.
if you did your interesting calculation properly hopefully you did it using Torque and not Horsepower for your results?

Old 09-23-2023, 02:36 PM

I just picked up a low mileage '23 (5100 miles) demo. Got a great buy on it. I see many in my area now since the '24s are coming.

Old 09-26-2023, 06:33 AM
Default 2022 cx5

We have a 2022 CX5 Kuro canadian version of the Carbon. Would not buy again.
we are waiting for a new transmission after numerous transmission issues.
if you live in an area where you have winter, you will have very little heat while city driving, unless you drive in sport mode at 3000 rpm.
the transmission issue has absolutely ruined this car experience for my wife...should have kept out Kia Sportage, much better car..

Old 09-26-2023, 09:11 AM

Sorry to hear about your issue.
My 2020 has been flawless so far and I've had no issue with heat, and it gets pretty cold here in the Maine winter.
It was only 39 degrees Fahrenheit this morning.
My brother-in-law had a Sportage and had no issues and I tried several out.
I choose the CX-5 for ride comfort, quality build and MPG which were far superior to the Sportage.

Last edited by Lobstah; 09-26-2023 at 09:14 AM.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy new CX 5..thoughts?